Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front suspension  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Mark_C

• CBF Master
Re: Front suspension
« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2007, 09:21:45 PM »
Kapak, if you haven't tried this already, place your front wheel up against a wall and work the forks up and down without applying the front brake.  This will eliminate the possibility that you are hearing the (floating) brake rotors clicking back and forth.

Offline Trickydicky

• CBF Pro
« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2007, 09:22:01 PM »
Guys & Gals

This might not be the answer, but on my VFR, if I hold the front brakes and work the front forks up and down on the suspension I had a similar noise to that described and it was a slight movement in the calipers which was causing it. I've learned to ignore it and the noise hasn't got any worse. Could it be the front calipers? Try holding the brakes on and pushing forward over the bars to see what happens.
Young, gifted and black (the bike that is).

Offline glenod

• CBF Pro
« Reply #12 on: 01 June, 2007, 09:01:12 AM »
Something completely different and less likely - but - before my R&G fell off, losing one engine mounting bolt, this was the first sign! Every time I breaked I hear a slight 'clunk'. This eventually became a heavy rattle as I rode down the road.

But:

1. - Whilst stationary I could never reproduce the noise
2. - Nothing felt through the bars
3. - I could also get the noise under hard acceleration

Offline martinbrig

« Reply #13 on: 01 June, 2007, 09:36:56 AM »
I've got the same problems with mine and it seems to be getting worse. It's kind of like a worn shock on a car causing the wheel to bounce around. The clicking / clumking happens without braking, just riding over un-even roads and seems to be more audiable when the front is unloaded
It's been back to the dealers and had the front brakes stripped down and re-fitted but still the clunking.... and my handle bars seem out of line while riding!

Offline B12Steve

• CBF Master
« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »
Glenod - very very interesting post. I have has clunking apparentlt from the front brake, but also goign over speed bumps slowly. I also had a loose crash bung.
I had forgotten about the clunking as I haven't noticed it for a while, I wonder did it stop after I re-tightened the bung  :084:

Offline martinbrig

« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2007, 10:00:02 AM »
Just done some more investigation into where the clicking is coming from and noticed that the spacer between the radiator fairing and the engine mounting bolt is loose and freely rattling around. No crash bungs fitted. This could be the cause of the clicking / clunking. Back to the dealer to get it torqued up on the weekend and see if the noise is still there....

Offline Mark_C

• CBF Master
« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2007, 01:11:50 PM »
You might consider tightening it a bit at least before you ride it any more.  If it is that loose, you risk damaging the thread in the crankcase or the hole in the frame, both potentially costly and time consuming jobs to fix.

Offline Scarer

• CBF Pro
« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
I get this click/clunking noise as well. I notice it when I sit on the bike and lean it upright before kicking up the side stand. It also happens when I brake for the first time then it seems ok.
It might do it occasionally after this but not everytime and I can also feel it through the bars as well and I do have crash bungs fitted, which I will check later for tightness.
It never did it from new but started after around 5-6 months (7000miles).

Offline Kapak

• CBF Member
« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2007, 03:26:09 PM »
All the problems have nothing to do with the bearings, that's something
my dealer is very sure of.
It was getting worser, so my dealer decided to contact Honda Belgium.
In the meantime he disassembled the complete front suspension.
And what did we get: the right innerleg was completed scratched at
the lower end (hard-cromium!!!!) He wanted to replace the complete right fork, but Honda told him only to replace the innerleg, and so he did.
Nor Honda nor my dealer had ever seen that kind of damage. (they say)
The reason for not replacing the complete right fork had, so I heard, had
everything to do with money.
After making a short test, the click was "almost" gone.
Now, after 800 kilometer, everything starts over again. I have to wait untill
the person who is responsable for the warranty returns from his holidays.
Come and read the next episode within a week or two.
Come and join the happy honda family :047:

Offline Mick

• CBF Master
« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2007, 04:25:45 PM »
I tried to see if I could hear this noise on my bike yesterday. All I could detect was the perfectly normal 'click' on the first brake application as the pads moved within their fixing slots to the front (or the rear) of the calliper. No other noises from the forks as such (August '06, 2600m).

It may be it happens after rather more miles than mine has covered. Do please keep us informed Kapak, it will greatly help anyone else who has cause to make a warranty claim to Honda.

Mick