Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil Level  (Read 263 times)

Offline mosspack

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Oil Level
« on: 01 June, 2019, 12:46:41 PM »
Help
Just had my MKII serviced. On return the oil level is up to the top of the spy glass, is this too much oil. Had the same problem last year (different garage) and I drained some off. Just seams strange that two different garages have put oil in over the second level mark.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Oil Level
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »
We've been here before. The correct oil level is (with motorcycle upright, engine at normal running temperature and having been left to stand for 3 to 5 minutes) between the two lines. If the oil level is below the lower line it needs topping up and if the oil level is above the upper line it needs draining off.

Of interest...

How much engine oil did they invoice you for?

In the MKI manual it states - After draining 2.7L, after filter change 3.5L and after disassembly 3.6L
In the MKII manual it states - After draining 2.7L, after filter change 3L and after disassembly 3.6L
In the Haynes manual it states - After draining 2.7L and after filter change approx 3L for both models

In my experience and since both models specify the same oil filter the Honda MKI manual is clearly incorrect. The Honda MKII manual and Haynes manual are spot on. Having done many oil and filter changes I've always put in a measured 3L and that's always been spot on the correct level, just below the upper line.

Offline badapple

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
Common issue mosspack, garages just dump in the specified volume of oil and don't check. If you have checked the level using the correct method, run for a few minutes then let stand for 2 or 3 minutes before checking and its still too high there is no harm in draining a little out but personally unless it was significantly over filled I would not bother. If you let it sit overnight it will always look high. Even 50ml of oil can make a big difference to the level in the sight glass. Someone sitting on the bike holding it upright is better than the centre stand as they are often not that level.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by badapple [+]
Common issue mosspack, garages just dump in the specified volume of oil and don't check. If you have checked the level using the correct method, run for a few minutes then let stand for 2 or 3 minutes before checking and its still too high there is no harm in draining a little out but personally unless it was significantly over filled I would not bother. If you let it sit overnight it will always look high. Even 50ml of oil can make a big difference to the level in the sight glass. Someone sitting on the bike holding it upright is better than the centre stand as they are often not that level.

I'm with badapple  :002:

Offline mosspack

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2019, 07:40:10 AM »
Cheers thanks for the replies

diverse-leafy