Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MRA Vario screen two piece solutions - Standard v Xcreen Tour  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Persimmon

• CBF Pro
Re: MRA Vario screen two piece solutions - Standard v Xcreen Tour
« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »
I have only had the MRA Vario screen and so can't compare it to a stock screen.
Is it lower to start with etc - not sure
Is it easy to drill four exactly placed holes in the standard screen without it cracking
If the Vario is better to start with I would recommend getting the Vario screen with larger spoiler given it's more variation in setting
If anyone wants the smaller spoiler to fit on to their standard or otherwise screen it's available for a small price
Alan
Alan

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:00:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
So is it best to to buy the screen and extension complete, or, use your own screen and buy the extension?

I know these things are subjective, but any opinions?  :028:

I seem to get on alright with the standard screen, but I'm starting to wonder if I should be expecting something better. :187:
Based on the report by Alan (Persimmon) I like the idea of adding an X-creen to an existing screen.
I've still got the oem Honda screen, but replaced it on the bike with an MRA 'touring' (without Vario) model, which is about 2" taller and has the vent holes that do seem to make a difference in reducing buffeting.
My preference would be to apply the fixing with bolt-on version for attaching the X-screen (instead of relying on the clamp option version) but some others might not want to have to drill holes in their screen.
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:02:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Persimmon [+]
....If anyone wants the smaller spoiler to fit on to their standard or otherwise screen it's available for a small price
Alan
Hi Alan, please let me know how much you'd want me to pay! Thanks :-)
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Persimmon

• CBF Pro
« Reply #13 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:16:42 AM »
I will find out the postal cost first as it needs to be packed securely.
It's not to bendable for Postie to fold through the letterbox
It takes a 8 hex screw which I would supply but you need a screwdriver with that fit
Worth checking you have it

Alan
Alan

Offline Persimmon

• CBF Pro
« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:20:08 AM »
Forgot to add when buying these spoilers I would also recommend fitting with screws as it's better for security. Especially with the hex screw. Less chance of a tea leave screwing it off
Alan
Alan

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »
I will find out the postal cost first as it needs to be packed securely.
It's not to bendable for Postie to fold through the letterbox
It takes a 8 hex screw which I would supply but you need a screwdriver with that fit
Worth checking you have it

Alan
Thanks Alan, look forward to hearing more, but at a guess a Royal Mail 'small parcel' (up to 2kg and up to 45cm x 35cm x 16cm) will do it.
http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

(haven't looked but I'm pretty sure that I've got a suitable head in one of my Allen type screwdriver bit sets.)

Offline Persimmon

• CBF Pro
« Reply #16 on: 21 September, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
PM sent

Alan
Alan

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #17 on: 21 September, 2015, 02:28:21 PM »
I bought one not long ago to fit to a fazer and when you buy it you get a template,

A little tip when drilling into a screen or a Number plate ETC, place a piece of tape where you want to drill, stops your drill bit sliding across. 

You can make a template easy and check where to drill before you make a mistake or make it skewiff ..

"Measure twice cut once"    :028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline Persimmon

• CBF Pro
« Reply #18 on: 21 September, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »
Richard decided not to buy so ...
The Spoiler is in the For Sale section if anyone is interested

Alan
Alan

Offline ManuelAlberto

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF 1000AA 2011
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #19 on: 04 October, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »
My 2009 came with a MRA Vario screen.
The Vario has the screen and an attached adjustable spoiler.

I have enjoyed riding at "slightly above 70 mph" !!! and the windblast is pretty good indeed.

However I noticed that MRA do a larger X-creen spoiler and I wondered if that would make it even better.

Luckily the supplier is just up the motorway from me so I went up and having discussed the options realised that I could indeed add the larger screen spoiler to my existing screen with minimal effort and so it was a purchase I had to make.

The larger spoiler is a good 2-3 inches bigger in height and wider by a few inches as well.

The small spoiler on my bike has a single ratchet adjustment but the larger X creen spoiler has a two way ratchet adjustment allowing for increasing height and angle adjustments so offering far greater options and protection.

Both ratchets have a lock on either side but it's a simple turn 45 degrees.

On the motorway and hitting 80-90 mph plus its very good indeed and I would recommend it.

The spoiler needs to be built but took about 15 mins. Instructions were good.
Taking off the existing spoiler and adding the new X creen spoiler took 1 minute. Simples.

I have tried to attach a few pictures to show before and after images and hope they come out.

Before -

After -

I have set the new spoiler at a medium setting for the moment but it can go a lot higher should I wish.

It is said putting on a Vario Touring is like riding a new bike. All I can say by adding the X creen to my bike it is a strong improvement.

Alan
Hi persimmon is your bike the MK1 or the mk2?? I have the same screen and will love to get just the spoiler to change it on my one too. Please let me know thanks.