Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scrubbing in Tyres - Advice from the Experts  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Scrubbing in Tyres - Advice from the Experts
« Reply #10 on: 31 July, 2015, 08:07:48 AM »
And thanks from me as well Aiden.  Looking forward to reading any belated responses from other manufacturers as well when they arrive.

Helps to remove some of the myths surrounding scrubbing tyres in :028:.

Andy
 :149:

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #11 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
Ged, I wouldn't want it on my conscience passing on a tyre considered irreparable for reasons of safety.
I was that pi55ed off at having to change it so soon, I simply let Protyre dispose of it - any way they wanted to.
What was also annoying was that I couldn't make the £15 Michelin cashback claim because I'd already done so the first time I changed it.

Mike - send me your receipt - then I will claim it and donate the proceeds to help for heroes or another suitable charity

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by golfsharpy12 [+]
Mike - send me your receipt - then I will claim it and donate the proceeds to help for heroes or another suitable charity
You're welcome to PM me with an address to which to send it, but they did put my name on it.
 :006:
« Last Edit: 31 July, 2015, 10:17:47 AM by Biker Mike »

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »
Seriously?
The puncture didn't work as I explained, so I've another new tyre on the rear to scrub in now.
Yeh, ok, but I was looking for the 'scrubbing in' advice/info from Michelin (who make the PR4, which you have, as me and many others also do) and could see only that quoted as from Avon, Dunlop & Bridgestone.
 :431:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #14 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Yeh, ok, but I was looking for the 'scrubbing in' advice/info from Michelin (who make the PR4, which you have, as me and many others also do) and could see only that quoted as from Avon, Dunlop & Bridgestone.

So far as I have read, all manufacturers have a strong common thread which is also applicable to PR4s or any tyre not manufactured specifically for circuit use.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #15 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:25:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
No prob.
On another matter Richard, have you given any more consideration to joining us on the run around Spain next year?

PS - Michelin's advice

DO I HAVE TO RUN MY TYRES IN?
Yes. When new tyres are fitted, they need to be run in for the first 60 miles or so, gradually increasing the lean of the bike and keeping to a moderate speed before the tyre reaches optimum performance.
« Last Edit: 31 July, 2015, 10:28:17 AM by Biker Mike »

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #16 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
Mike, no, haven't yet put any more thought into Spain 2016 (got a lot of good stuff going on at mo that may affect timings) but should be able to bottom out over next 2 weeks while away on hols with my good lady wife......which is when we get to spend most quality time.....and she starts 'our' planning for next year's trip!
(She won't do pillion on a long trip, so it's just a matter of avoiding dates for whatever we'll be doing together)
Will let you know.
Cheers R
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #17 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »
When I fit new tyres by the time I've worked half a day they are run in, just watch the bends and corners for the first 100 miles.
weather/heat/cold will affect how quick/slow they feel.

Mind you when I ran my bike in it only took a day + 1/2 at work :mfrlol:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline gedspeed

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW R1200RS SE
  • City / Town: Blackpool Lancs
« Reply #18 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:11:51 PM »
Ged, I wouldn't want it on my conscience passing on a tyre considered irreparable for reasons of safety.
I was that pi55ed off at having to change it so soon, I simply let Protyre dispose of it - any way they wanted to.
What was also annoying was that I couldn't make the £15 Michelin cashback claim because I'd already done so the first time I changed it.

I used to work in the tyre industry and there has become a knee jerk reaction to punctures, providing there is no chord damage there is nothing wrong with a proper repaired tyre, it would not worry me,

Ged
BMW R1200RS Sport SE , blue pearl white

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #19 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by gedspeed [+]
I used to work in the tyre industry and there has become a knee jerk reaction to punctures, providing there is no chord damage there is nothing wrong with a proper repaired tyre, it would not worry me,

Ged

:0461: And it normally takes me longer to wear my tread out with all the plugs I use.

Nought wrong with rebuilding your rubber :188:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....