Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What is the best replacement stator?  (Read 19480 times)

Offline Boris

• CBF Member
  • Bike: A7
  • City / Town: Taunton
Re: What is the best replacement stator?
« Reply #80 on: 06 August, 2018, 02:19:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jumbo [+]
Next morning, I did all the usual diagnostics and quickly found the stator was indeed shagged, and all shorted to ground with the three coils gone open circuit in sympathetic empathy!

I know it's been a while but could you expand on that? How to definitely diagnose a failed stator? (yes, mine most likely failed yesterday).

Offline Jumbo

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT(MK1)
« Reply #81 on: 06 August, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
Oops! bad luck, Boris.
Yes, it's been a while, but not so long a while as you might imagine. My stator failed again within 1000 miles.
I think the mistake I made was in not replacing the R/R at the same time as the stator.

I now have new genuine Honda branded stator and R/R installed. I have'n done many miles yet, so don't know how this will pan out.
I ordered my parts from nutjob.ie in Dublin. Very fast delivery and the best price I could find online for genuine Honda parts.

How to check your stator;
You can do this without removing the stator.
Disconnect the 3P connector, the one with the 3 yellow wires coming off the stator.
Measure the resistance across each pin in pairs.
In other word, measure across 1st to 2nd pin, 1st to 3rd pin, and then 2nd to 3rd pin in turn.
You should read between 0.1 and 1.0 Ω on each.
A failed/burnt out coil may show infinite Ωs  / open circuit..... or all shorted together giving zero Ωs

Then check the resistance between each of the 3 pins and the bike earth/frame.
This should be infinite  Ωs.  As in no continuity.   i.e. an open circuit.
Typically, with a failing stator, you may find a short to ground from one or all of the three yellow wires.

I hope that makes sense.
Jumbo
Youíve got to be very careful if you donít know where you are going, because you might not get there.
Yogi Berra

Offline STrep

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Cambridge
« Reply #82 on: 07 August, 2018, 01:45:07 AM »
The stator went on my wife's 2009 CBF last week. We were in the middle of a trip circumnavigating Lake Superior.

The Honda dealer in Thunder Bay ordered the OEM replacement from Toronto (charged us $927 CND for the install). Unfortunately we had no other timely cost effective options. I don't know if the OEM is better than aftermarket alternatives.

STrep

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #83 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:44:09 PM »
Jumbo.  Was that the ramstor stator that failed you ?

STrep.  Going by the above, probably.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Jumbo

• CBF Legend
« Reply #84 on: 07 August, 2018, 04:18:57 PM »
It was an RMSTATOR. But at this point I suspect that the R/R (the original from new) may have been a factor.
I had used 2 RMSTATORs on the same R/R. Both burned out in short periods.
The RMSTATORs have heavier cabling than Honda's. They look really durable too.

But given the long history about this issue, and the myriad of opinions good, bad and silly, I decided to replace both stator and R/R at the same time with Honda parts.

Still waiting to give the bike some long runs , though.
Jumbo
Youíve got to be very careful if you donít know where you are going, because you might not get there.
Yogi Berra

Offline Boris

• CBF Member
  • Bike: A7
  • City / Town: Taunton
« Reply #85 on: 10 August, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »
I've just replaced mine. As far as I know from service history, this is the second time it's happened to this bike. 34k miles on the clock, I've owned it for the last 12k.

Offline Jumbo

• CBF Legend
« Reply #86 on: 10 August, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »
I'd suggest replacing the R/R as well. It might save you money.... ..But no guarantee that it will.

One (of the many!) theories about why bike stators of ALL manufacturers burn out so often is that something goes  bad in the R/R.
A bad R/R  will probably cause any replacement stators to fry themselves in time.

Static testing of these R/Rs with a diode tester will often show no fault.
There is a limit to what we owners can test without more sophisticated electronic equipment.
Ideally dynamic testing under real world riding conditions.
I suspect there are some complex electronics involved in there besides the diodes.

Google any bike manufacturer you can think of. You will find they ALL have hits concerning stator burn outs.
This is not only a Honda issue.
I'm surprised that, as far as I know, no one has yet taken a legal case on health and safety grounds.

Suggestion; never ride a bike without a battery monitor. And cast an eye at the monitor regularly.
It might save your life. I believe it has saved mine twice already.

Maybe I should take up golf  :087:
But somehow I just can't picture my man shed workshop filled with golfing gear  :005:
Yogi Berra

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #87 on: 10 August, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
Jumbo, I think we all accept a normal level of failure on any bike, car, whatever, but we're not talking about that anymore.
The MK1 failing stator statistics fall far and wide out of the normal and Honda acknowledged that (by extending to a 7 years warranty for it).
I think your generalizing attempt that it's all normal like with other bikes is somewhat misplaced in case of MK1-stator.

Offline davyayr

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Prestwick
« Reply #88 on: 17 August, 2018, 12:28:42 AM »
Evening all

Interesting thread going back a while.

Think my stator has given up the ghost, going on my searching on here.

Replaced the battery about a month ago, as it wouldn't hold a charge, and all was well. Now its not getting charged and bike wont start after a few short runs. It's like its losing a bit every time and charge not getting replaced.

Tonight as I got home from work, she was running like a sick pig, like a chronic misfire, and cut out as I parked her up.

Going to do the checks, but assuming I'm right, what is the current best replacement stator.

I'm thinking of changing both the stator and the R/R together as a precaution.

Any help appreciated.   :183: :183:

Cheers 

CBF1000 FA 2011 Mk1

Offline Jumbo

• CBF Legend
« Reply #89 on: 17 August, 2018, 12:54:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by davyayr [+]
Evening all

Going to do the checks, but assuming I'm right, what is the current best replacement stator.

Cheers 
CBF1000 FA 2011 Mk1
Unfortunately, I think that it is impossible to answer this simple question conclusively.
When I was buying a replacement stator and R/R, I went for genuine Honda parts in the hope that by now Honda will have got a grip and improved the design of these vital organs.

Meanwhile, my bike is running beautifully right now.
And when this bike is good, oh boy is she a thing of life affirming fun to ride  :300:

Jumbo
Yogi Berra

diverse-leafy