Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What is the best replacement stator?  (Read 15448 times)

Offline kurt

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: '08 cbf 1000
  • City / Town: Almonte, Ontario
Re: What is the best replacement stator?
« Reply #30 on: 18 July, 2017, 03:25:52 AM »
I recently bought one from eBay-US for $78 US,, plus shipping, on sale.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #31 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:01:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by kurt [+]
I recently bought one from eBay-US for $78 US,, plus shipping, on sale.

Hi Kurt, how are you mate ?  Good to read that you are still around.   I paid about the same (£50) for my spare stator.  Brand new, unused Honda unit and still in its wrapping :015:.

FWIW, for all newer members, Kurt is the guy who originally and mysteriously magicked up the MKI Service Manual which has been a life saver for so many members on here.   All :020: to Kurt :008:.

:031:

Andy
 :149:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #32 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:20:49 AM »
 :460:
That's interesting to know, Andy!
Like you say, a lot of guys here (myself included)  owe Kurt a massive debt of gratitude then  :028:

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #33 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
:460:
That's interesting to know, Andy!
Like you say, a lot of guys here (myself included)  owe Kurt a massive debt of gratitude then  :028:

Yep you'd be buggered without those nice pictures :047:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #34 on: 18 July, 2017, 07:26:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robo [+]
Yep you'd be buggered without those nice pictures :047:

True but if I only wanted pretty pics I'd read my Haynes manual but tbh I have more faith in the Honda one  :mfrlol:

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #35 on: 19 July, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
Wait til your Stator fails  :151: All doom and gloom. massive job to take on :138:

Somewhere on here there are a few pages about it.

You may have to use the search button or ask richard to put up a link.

All very hard to find.

Glad I've got a Suzuki

Good luck :028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #36 on: 19 July, 2017, 11:21:07 AM »
Wait til your Stator fails  :151: All doom and gloom. massive job to take on :138:

All very hard to find.

Glad I've got a Suzuki   :160: :104: :008: :008:

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #37 on: 19 July, 2017, 01:19:14 PM »

All very hard to find.

Glad I've got a Suzuki  ,That comes with go electrics that work properly ,and with a better gearbox as well.

« Last Edit: 19 July, 2017, 01:21:38 PM by shumba »

Offline Jumbo

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT(MK1)
« Reply #38 on: 21 July, 2017, 09:25:22 PM »
Hi there, all ye merry Biffer riders. It's been a while. I've been busy being retired and such jolly stuff.
What brings me back here today is my own sorry tale of a fried Biffer stator....... without chips!

Last week I was returning from a 300 mile flit. When 20 miles from home my Gammatronix battery monitor
suddenly went into the orange zone. Within minutes it was showing red. Occasionally the red flashed or orange showed.  But, worryingly, green was now a colour consigned to history.

"This is not good", thought I.
And yet, there was no other indication of any malfunction showing on my instrument panel. 

So, at last, it looked like the infamous Honda stator saga had come to visit me...... up close and real personal, like!
Anyway, I nursed my baby home, avoiding using indicators, and braking as little as possible, in the hope that the battery's last few amp.hours might just make it.

I arrived home safely and left the engine running (somewhat erratically!) while I got a multimeter onto the battery's external charging socket.
There were all of 8.5 volts left. And yet the engine managed to keep its little heart beating. Oh, and the headlamp was still on, but very yellowish dull by now.
When I was about to ride into my workshop, I stuck her into first gear......... and all went Silent... Nada.... Not a sound.... Totalmente hush.... A quietude beyond quietness!
...Except for the sound of me exhaling a deep sigh of relief at having made it home, that is.

By the way, my bike has only 23,000 miserable miles on it since new in 2009..... Hardly run in really! LOL..

Next morning, I did all the usual diagnostics and quickly found the stator was indeed shagged, and all shorted to ground with the three coils gone open circuit in sympathetic empathy!

So, the question here; What's the best replacement stator?
I have no clue. I went on-line and now have a new stator installed. I ordered it from Brooksbarn.co.uk
It arrived withing 4 days. It turns out to be a stator made in Canada by RMSATOR.com
They say they give a 1 year warranty.

The stator works. I'm getting 14.7 volts at the battery. However, it did come with a too short cable.
Fortunately, the box included a female connector for the regulator end (if needed in case of fried connector, they say. Mine was fine)
So, I was able to lengthen the cable by making up an extension lead using this redundant female connector and a length of cable from the old stator.
All very enjoyable for an old mechanical head like me, but not exactly a swap out job. You'll need to solder!

I enjoyed playing bike fixer again. I'll be monitoring that very useful Gammatronix closely for a while.
I'm really glad I fitted it about 6 years ago.
What would it be like to not know your battery is discharging as you fly down a motorway, overtaking all in sight,
only to suddenly have your engine hesitate and die under you in the fast lane at 70+ MPH ???

""This is not good", might be your first thought......... or your last!
 :031:
You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.
Yogi Berra

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #39 on: 21 July, 2017, 09:42:05 PM »
Amen to the wisdom of a battery voltage monitor  :mfrlol:
Glad u got home safe & sound mate  :028:
How's the battery now, did it survive the ordeal?

diverse-leafy