Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What is the best replacement stator?  (Read 11912 times)

Offline Taurus66

• CBF Member
Re: What is the best replacement stator?
« Reply #20 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »
Im surprised some enterprising fellow has not come up with an additional oil cooler to feed colled oil directly into the stator case and spraying the stator with said cooled oil..

Ive been thinking about this myself , cant be to hard to make a sandwich plate and take the oil from its original cooler , to a 14 row external cooler with the return fed into the stator case..

Hmm me thinks a project is coming on..

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #21 on: 17 July, 2017, 11:35:09 AM »
Air, well fan assisted, ones can fail too.

My Scorpio car (some 20-25 years ago) suffered an alternator failure (I didn't recongise the signs early enough!) and assumed Diode failure but on disassemly the windings were "well charred" and looked like they'd be burning out for ages (probably a winding at a time to begin with).
Fan, diode pack, bearings all okay.

I don't know who made those for that model/era Ford but doubt very much it any of the M/C manufactures.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #22 on: 17 July, 2017, 11:39:49 AM »
Me thinks a silly topic  :430:

Tell me is there any kind of electrical product that doesn't fail ?

"How many people does it need  to change a light bulb" 

If you worry about and can't cope with a stator failing . answer buy a different bike. :028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Online J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #23 on: 17 July, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Taurus66 [+]
Im surprised some enterprising fellow has not come up with an additional oil cooler to feed colled oil directly into the stator case and spraying the stator with said cooled oil..

Ive been thinking about this myself , cant be to hard to make a sandwich plate and take the oil from its original cooler , to a 14 row external cooler with the return fed into the stator case..

Engine oil is usually around 100 deg C, which makes it a fine cooling aid but it just has to get onto the stator enough.
Even if you had cooler oil at disposal, same problem would be that it doesn't get to the place enough where it needs to be at lower revs.
If you make a better oil feed towards the stator, it doesn't have to be cooler than regular cater oil.
This is what they did on Mk2 as far as we suspect, just get it in there more. Maybe they also provided better insulation (more temp resistant) on the stator coils for Mk2?

Some brands bikes make the stator half submerged in normal oil level. Then if you would open the stator cover you lose a lot of oil.
Biffers you can open stator cover and see it's above normal oil level. Open cover and you lose only a drip of oil. Only on reving gets oil in there.
There is no dedicated oil channel coming from the oil pump discharge, so the oil getting there is from splashing around. Reving it up splashes more, so more cooling, this is no suspect because it has been measured (coil temp readings have been made in real time while riding).

Since non OEM stators live significant longer than OEM, insufficient insulator material on OEM is most likely.
If there was only more oil stream to the stator housing, OEM's would probably have done pretty well.

Offline Taurus66

• CBF Member
« Reply #24 on: 17 July, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
Thanks for decent reply rather than ... basically if you dont like it buy another bike!! Got to love these kind of asinine replies. I can cope fine with failures of componants,
However , i like to find a solution to the problem if possible.
Even the aftermarket part failed and relatively quickly too... so i think no matter how good the stator manfacturer is.. its going to fail prematurely.
Talking of a better oil supply, ive been thinking about this as i work with hydraulics i have the facilities and ability to add an extra oil supply.. and also having my own milling machine and lathe i think i can come up with some sort of oil supply. And making up the relavant hose work and fitting after market oil coolers is no problem as its my line of work.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
« Reply #25 on: 17 July, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »
Why don't you just enjoy the ride of the bike.

The last Honda Stator under warrenty lasted me 50k ! ...how long. if ever will that take you. :465:

Aftermarket ones are better and rarely fail.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #26 on: 17 July, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Taurus66 [+]

Here you go....
Re: Stator Heat Sink
« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,11705.msg148275.html#msg148275
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Online J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #27 on: 17 July, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »
I made a lot of IR-gun readings too on the stator cover but that is not telling much, in the case of the biffer that is, because the contact area between stator and stator-cover is really small.
Maybe there are bike brands that do things differently like making that contact area max so the cover can actually be a cooling factor. Not so for the biffer where all your readings of the stator cover are mostly from the oil hitting it. Biffer stator cover is in no way representing coil temperatures.

That said, if you make the cover a huuuge cooling fin, the cover will be cooler yeah but that small contact area is not going to cool your stator very much I'm afraid.

Offline Taurus66

• CBF Member
« Reply #28 on: 17 July, 2017, 08:47:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robo [+]
Why don't you just enjoy the ride of the bike.

The last Honda Stator under warrenty lasted me 50k ! ...how long. if ever will that take you. :465:

Aftermarket ones are better and rarely fail.

Ummmm , newsflash... here.. i actually do enjoy the ride... and im so pleased for you that your stator has lasted you 50k.. and ill beg to differ on the fact that aftermarket ones last longer.. if you bothered to read .. you see the electrex one only lasted a few thousand less than my last one..

But thank you for your replies.. but they dont really help anything.. i do so appreciate your the cbf god.. but ...

Offline Robo

• CBF God
« Reply #29 on: 17 July, 2017, 09:46:42 PM »
one of my 8 stators lasted more than 50k. one didn't het the bike of the service ramp.

If you read what this forum is mainly made up of, you may understand Stators and all the q +a's

Some people waste time worrying about breakdowns and stators.

"Ummmm , newsflash... here.. i actually do enjoy the ride.."  :062: good

No reply can help some people  and I can't help you with a stator problem.it lays behind the cover :087:

Perhaps if you read the 1000's of threads about Stators you may understand more

Thanks for the God status ,  but  :084: :420: :481: :192:

diverse-leafy