Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What is the best replacement stator?  (Read 11911 times)

Offline Taurus66

• CBF Member
Re: What is the best replacement stator?
« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
 :152:

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #11 on: 15 July, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robo [+]

And a simple answer NO.

Or buy a MKII where Honda have solved the oil flow issue.  Exactly what they have done :187:.  Even if we knew what Honda have done it would involve a complete engine strip down at best in order to attempt a similar remedy.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2017, 08:56:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Or buy a MKII where Honda have solved the oil flow issue.  Exactly what they have done :187:.  Even if we knew what Honda have done it would involve a complete engine strip down at best in order to attempt a similar remedy.
Or buy a 'just' a complete MKII engine and put it in your MKI bike?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Complete-Engines/171108/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=honda+cbf+%281000F+%2C+%221000+F%22%29+engine

:164:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #13 on: 16 July, 2017, 08:43:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

:0461:
  Bike design vs car design - bikes use scalding hot engine oil to 'cool' an already hot stator whose coils are coated with varnish to insulate the individual wires that carry the electric current (i.e. prevent them from shorting out).  However the varnish has a certain melting point so if the coolant (in this case engine oil) flowing over the coils is not keeping the windings below this temperature then the varnish starts to melt and you get short circuits in the coils and that char-grilled appearance then 'bang'!

Car alternators on the other hand are air-cooled and they have additional fan blades on the spindle to assist with the cooling.  Never had an alternator go pop on a car and when I look at mine the windings are still looking in good condition after 95,000 miles. 

Maybe  :451: to mention cars but the design comparisons are fun IMO - bike stator design is obviously like this to save space and weight I assume - any bikes ever had air-cooled stators anyone??

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #14 on: 16 July, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
.... any bikes ever had air-cooled stators anyone??
Yes, the Honda ST1100A (and ST1000)
For more information, Google search for st1100a+air+cooled+alternator
« Last Edit: 16 July, 2017, 09:02:50 AM by richardcbf »
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #15 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Yes, the Honda ST1100A (and ST1000)
For more information, Google search for st1100a+air+cooled+alternator

Thanks  :028:

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #16 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
  Bike design vs car design - bikes use scalding hot engine oil to 'cool' an already hot stator whose coils are coated with varnish to insulate the individual wires that carry the electric current (i.e. prevent them from shorting out).  However the varnish has a certain melting point so if the coolant (in this case engine oil) flowing over the coils is not keeping the windings below this temperature then the varnish starts to melt and you get short circuits in the coils and that char-grilled appearance then 'bang'!

Car alternators on the other hand are air-cooled and they have additional fan blades on the spindle to assist with the cooling.  Never had an alternator go pop on a car and when I look at mine the windings are still looking in good condition after 95,000 miles. 

Maybe  :451: to mention cars but the design comparisons are fun IMO - bike stator design is obviously like this to save space and weight I assume - any bikes ever had air-cooled stators anyone??

There is a difference between stators and alternators stators have a constant out put, alternators have field coils that are only energised when out put is required and so do not need much cooling .  Some of the Yamaha bikes use air cooled alternators that are far better than any of the Honda stuff.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #17 on: 16 July, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
There is a difference between stators and alternators stators have a constant out put, alternators have field coils that are only energised when out put is required and so do not need much cooling .....
:084:  :110:

The alternator gets its name from the alternating current (AC) electricity that it produces.

"A traditional alternator uses a coil that uses DC power from the battery to produce a magnetic field....

...Motorcycles often require a lighter weight system that can produce power with no battery installed or with a small battery. This requires a slightly different way of making power.

The alternator on a motorcycle or ATV converts kinetic energy (power of motion) into electrical energy to charge the battery. An alternator is made up of two parts; the stator and the magnet rotor, also known as the flywheel.....
."
https://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/technical-articles/motorcycle-stators

PERMANENT MAGNET GENERATOR

....The magnets themselves have north and south-poles and the flywheel is rotating around the stator. The stator is a metal core with a lot of metal poles that have windings of copper-wire on them. Because the flywheel is rotating and there are north and south-poles inside it, the windings of the stator are exposed to first a north-pole, then a south-pole, then a north-pole again etc. This is the varying magnetic field that is needed to let the winding itself produce AC-current. The windings themselves are connected in a star (one winding has two ends and the three ends of the three different windings are connected together) so the stator has only three output wires emerging from it.

This generator-setup we call a permanent magnet generator. This is because the flywheel contains magnets that are magnetic all the time. The output of a certain stator is depending on the engine-speed (the higher the speed of the magnetic-field variation, the higher the stator-output), and the force of the magnetic field (which is constant) Basically the stator produces a certain output at a certain rpm.

The Field Controlled Generator System

The other system used on motorcycles is the field-controlled generator. The system itself works on the principles as a permanent magnet generator, the only big difference is that there are no permanent magnets but instead there is an electromagnet that provides the necessary magnetism.

https://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/technical-articles/how-motorcycle-charging-system-works

:028:

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #18 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »

LAMBRETTA'S :164:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #19 on: 16 July, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
 :mfrlol:

diverse-leafy