Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What is the best replacement stator?  (Read 11921 times)

Offline The Poet

• Bike: CBF1000A
What is the best replacement stator?
« on: 14 May, 2015, 10:50:41 PM »
Hi everyone.

I know there are many threads around stators, but I would like to focus on one fact.

If your stator fails and for whatever reason you decide to replace it yourself, what is the best stator to buy, who makes the highest quality replacement?

non semper erit aestas

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: What is the best replacement stator?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2015, 12:59:44 AM »
Maybe the ones that are supplied with a one year warranty?  (Honda UK give 6 months and price is higher)
 :431:

e.g., (not recommendations).....
Warranty : 1 Year
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stator-Honda-CBF-1000-F-S-T-2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-/231306043526
or
One year limited warranty
http://www.rmstator.com/en_ca/products/rm01078-stator-honda-cbf-1000-2006-2010
or
One year limited warranty
http://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/types/stator-coils-/stator-honda-cbf-1000-2006-2010-rm01078

Most of our products come with at least a years guarantee.
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/G112.html

NATÜRLICH MIT GARANTIE ....(NATURAL GUARANTEED .... & PLEASE ASK ANY QUESTIONS BEFOR YOU BUY ....)?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CBF-1000-LICHTMASCHINE-STATOR-NEU-CBF1000-ALTERNATOR-SC58-ALTERNATOR-NEW-LIMA-/160716269255
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
I think you will have to make your own mind up from the more recent threads on this one. I doubt if there is a 'best one' to buy.  To help you it might be worth centring your search around threads where Shumba has contributed i.e. do an advanced search and put 'shumba' into the by user box, this will bring up most of the more relevant posts on the subject (incl other peeps views and thoughts).

Shumba is hot on Electrex and amongst a myriad of others West Country Windings are also often mentioned - but there are others out there now.

As you will have no doubt read simply exchanging a stator plate should yours fail might not simply be a matter of the stator itself (although it usually is).  Honda's solution is to replace with their 'upgraded' stator together with an 'upgraded' flywheel and this seems to be a very successful fix and while there is the odd failure even Robo, a very high mileage user, has had c.50k miles out of a Honda combined fix.   Others believe that a different regulator at the same time may assist.  The fact is that, amongst other possible factors for failure, the stator overheats because it is not cooled sufficiently and this has been addressed on the MKII with a small rework of the oil flows within the crankcase. 

I bought a new/unused Honda stator and keep it handy.  If I hadn't fallen lucky on price (£50) I probably would have gone for one from Electrex or West Country Windings deciding on which after I had a good chat with them first.  IMO, it is unlikely that you will ever fix this problem entirely whether by choice of replacement stator or otherwise.  Worth remembering that the majority of original stators do last a long time and any reasonably made replacement is likely to last for a similar period.  However, given the relative lack of information currently available on after market success/failure record then to me the better alternative, assuming that money was no object, would be to replace with the Honda stator/flywheel combo. 

There you go, I have given you my thoughts where to look for a replacement but are either of those the best  :187: , god only knows and he is unlikely to tell (no disrespect intended). 

Andy
 :149:
« Last Edit: 15 May, 2015, 09:12:54 AM by Bifferman »

Offline The Poet

• Bike: CBF1000A
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »
Thanks for your replies, I have to say I don't have an issue at the moment (I hope), but having read the posts I guess it's only a matter of time so I'm trying to be prepared.

:028:

non semper erit aestas

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
All old news  :028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline Taurus66

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
I had a stator failed on me whilst ona tour in spain, lucky i had the sense to buy a spare one and had it and a reg/rec on the bike at the time, so was able to do a road side repair with some degree of ease..

However my replacement stator a g112 has decided its had enough too.. what is it with these bikes and stators, why do they fail so quickly..

First one was at 27500 miles , now at 36500 miles literally a 9000 mile life span..

Ive never had a bike do this so often..

Is there something that draws roo much current and overheats the stator coils? Or just a really s**t design and poor quality parts used in manufacture..
« Last Edit: 13 July, 2017, 04:06:38 PM by Taurus66 »

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2017, 05:12:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Taurus66 [+]
I had a stator failed on me whilst ona tour in spain, lucky i had the sense to buy a spare one and had it and a reg/rec on the bike at the time, so was able to do a road side repair with some degree of ease..

However my replacement stator a g112 has decided its had enough too.. what is it with these bikes and stators, why do they fail so quickly..

First one was at 27500 miles , now at 36500 miles literally a 9000 mile life span..

Ive never had a bike do this so often..

Is there something that draws roo much current and overheats the stator coils? Or just a really s**t design and poor quality parts used in manufacture..

If you care to do a simple search you will find more written on this subject than pretty much the rest put together - start here :001:

Next the VOSA Thread (if you have a couple of days to spare :028:) - https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,6340.0.html

Followed by Rev Ken's Confessional (another half a day of reading) - https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,13965.0.html

See reply 2 above or read on;

At least another 20 threads on the same subject but the bottom line is that the stator overheats mainly due to the fact that there is insufficient oil sloshing around the stator.  Honda resolved this issue with the MKII.  Hold onto your gears a bit longer and keep the revs a bit higher - generally put, revs below 4/5k and oil flow into the stator chamber is poor, above 5/6k and the oil flow significantly increases (there is a thread somewhere on this as well) and the only consistency that I have seen over the years is that those who ride their bikes a bit harder appear to get a better deal than those who pootle about.   Also some say that a replacement stator from Electrex is better made than the Honda one but even those are reported to have failed, others recon the regulator could be a better design and both these points may be so but there are lots of MKI  Biffers around still on their original stators and have done high-ish miles as well.   

Honda eventually recognised the issue and increased the warranty on MKI failed stators to 7 years (2 yrs + additional 5) and replaced both stator and flywheel with modified units which significantly improved matters but it was not until the MKII came along that the internal crankcase oil way to the stator was increased was the problem satisfactorily resolved.

Given that a replacement non Honda stator is £125 or less and it is a simple job to replace (2 out of 5 spanners difficulty on the Haynes service manual scale of difficulty) and the fact that you can get a little warning of imminent failure from the MIS light flashing at you or BETTER still fit a £15 Gammatronix or Sparkbright LED battery/charging warning light it is no longer the big deal that it was in the earlier days of the MKI.

:149:
p.s. Enjoy the video :164:

« Last Edit: 13 July, 2017, 05:24:36 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Taurus66

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
Its a simple question... thanks.. ive read pretty much all the post about it but it seems noone has an actual answer or at least none that i could see..my bad.. so to improve the oil flow .. is there a known mod with out the lose of oil pressure?
« Last Edit: 14 July, 2017, 05:02:20 PM by Taurus66 »

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Taurus66 [+]
Its a simple question...

.. is there a known mod with out the lose of oil pressure?

And a simple answer NO.
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Recent Topics

diverse-leafy