Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The Wobble  (Read 4640 times)

Offline kordusit

• CBF Member
Re: The Wobble
« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »
Also my MkII cbf is a little unstable at high speed (90mph+). It's not like it's unrideable, but definitely not a relaxed ride. It happens mainly on highways with lots of other vehicles, so it must be caused by turbulences from cars.
Today I had a ride without a topbox fitted, only 29L panniers, and it was very very stable.
My question is: which topbox do you use? Does it cause any problem?
Currently I have a Givi Trekker 52l, that is very big, so this may be the source of my problems. Hover lot of people use a Givi Maxia, that is not smaller than mine (but has a different shape), so I am curious to hear their experience.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
The genuine Honda luggage uses a rack that 'floats' (will move left and right a bit) specifically to counteract the high speed instability you get from fixed boxes.

I've run my MK II with full luggage at speeds well in excess of yours and had no issues.

I've also got a Givi Maxia 52 on a CB1300 and have had no issues at 3 figure speeds.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline kordusit

• CBF Member
« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »
Thanks alan,
I would like to stick with Givi stuff, mainly because the Honda topbox is very expensive.

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
 I expect a bit of flack for saying this, but any hard luggage fitted to a bike will have an adverse effect on a bikes handling. I will never own a bike with hard luggage fitted to it,  I know hard luggage has its followers ,and they will say it doesent make any difference, and throw in the security in the chestnut   ( havent a clew what security they are talking about ). Honda try to cover themselves by stating in the hand book that there is a max luggage loading of 33kg and speed must be kept down I cant remember of hand but I think its  bellow 70.

Offline kordusit

• CBF Member
« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »
I'm not interested in going at 120 mph, for me going at 90 mph is enough (and it's above the speed limit here in Italy). But I want the bike to be stable at those speeds. I hope I can find a good compromise.
Probably the bike would be more stable without any luggage, but since I use it mainly for utility and touring, often with a pillion, I need a top box.

Offline NeiljohnUK

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 F650GS
  • City / Town: Soton.
« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2015, 10:04:15 PM »
The Trekker top boxes shape and ridges isn't going to help the situation, the Honda box has a better smoother airflow in all probability, as does Alans Maxia, and my E300 on my Beemer. I'd suggest borrowing a smooth less 'square' top box and trying that.
Formerly an EMT (1), now a Superintendent, not that makes any difference, still just as crazy...
I ride for pleasure, commute mostly by PTW, do most of my own spannering.
Started to do my IAM, having done the RoSPA version years ago, seems I'm not fast enough, unlike the Chief Observer I'm not prepared to do 50+ in a 40 limit, so I've given it up as a bad job, 'too slow to pass, too old to care'!

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by kordusit [+]

Currently I have a Givi Trekker 52l, that is very big,

:435: That ain't a top box :004: :004:

I have one in my Garden in green with wheels and a big lorry comes to empty it... :087: :087:

I'm supposed  you get over the speed limit with that on the back   :110:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2015, 11:31:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by kordusit [+]
I'm not interested in going at 120 mph, for me going at 90 mph is enough (and it's above the speed limit here in Italy). But I want the bike to be stable at those speeds. I hope I can find a good compromise.
Probably the bike would be more stable without any luggage, but since I use it mainly for utility and touring, often with a pillion, I need a top box.

I've a Mk1, and toured Europe with large Honda top box and two panniers. Up to speeds (on the autobahn) of 120 mph - no wobble. At low speeds, if I take my hands off without top box, no wobble; with top box a wobble, but certainly not a tank slapper and all it needs is a light touch on the handlebars to stop it. It is the 'naked' version and I have a large Givi screen with Palmer brackets. I also have PR4 tyres - could be a hint!

Oh and the road holding was as good as any of the other 12 bikes - trust me!
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #18 on: 28 April, 2015, 08:27:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
...... I know hard luggage has its followers ,and they will say it doesent make any difference, and throw in the security in the chestnut   ( havent a clew what security they are talking about )......
My bike insurance will cover theft of hard luggage/contents provide that it is locked to the bike and normal removal from the bike requires use of a dedicated key.
i.e., they will cover my 'Honda' Top Box and Panniers, but not any 'soft' luggage.
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #19 on: 28 April, 2015, 08:52:42 AM »
 The only luggage that I carry on my bike is ordinary camping gear and a few casual clothes, nothing of any real value that is worth worrying about, If there are people that are so desperate that they need to steal such items in order to survive then they are more than welcome to it, A lot of my early biking years were done in Africa with no problems of any kind and I dont see any reason why I should have any problems in the UK, If I thought that the world had got to such a stage that I needed to keep my bike luggage under lock and key for fear of theft ,I would give up bike travel it would not be worth the constant worry.