Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stator failure  (Read 5495 times)

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: Stator failure
« Reply #20 on: 15 March, 2015, 04:34:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
.....The new parts have a warranty of 1 year the same as if you were to buy a replacement part yourself from Honda for that is the warranty they give on replacement parts OR less if you hit the 7 year barrier first.  You do not get a years warranty if, say, the stator/flywheel is replaced at 6 yrs 9 months then the warranty on the new stator will expire at 7 years and not 7 years 9 months (1 year on from the replacement).

Andy
 :149:
That's not what Honda (UK) say, which is....
"If any part is fitted outside of the warranty by a Honda dealer the warranty period is six months."
http://bikes.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/warranty.html
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #21 on: 15 March, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
Crazy and dishonest! If I was to find myself in this position I would take it to the local trading standards officer
 as I can't see how the normal one year warranty on replacement parts can be ignored.

Ken, been there, done that and have a T shirt to prove it but it is the way the motor industry works (as you must know having worked for VOSA).  My first regulator went phut at 2 yrs 10 months and replaced under warranty;  It went south again about 5 months later and Renault issued the middle digit.   Renault (and not because they are a Frienchie compny) were the culprits over the seemingly never ending dramas of Renault Scenic's, Renault Clio's and Renault Migraine's Window regulators.  Sh1t design equally badly executed (anybody interested enough because they are suffering from similar dismal occurrences of failure I can ladel it out chapter and verse). 

I have had five (that's right 5) of the feckin things fail on Les's MKII Migraine (the one with the arse).  They seem to last for 2 to 3 years and then fail with windows going down uninvited and steadfastly refusing to come up again.  I can even give you an emergency work around to get the window up again that the Frenchies deny exists  :188:  - all down to Chuck de Gaulle this  :145:  - both Churchill and Roosevelt detested the guy and with good reason in WWII. 

These regulators cost between £400 and £500 a go depending on whether we are talking about the front or rear windows.  If you are brave enough to remove the window glass and the regulator mechanism then the fix is actually very simple although time consuming and fiddly and Renault want to charge a bundle for doing it for you - no surprise there then  :012: .   Somehow I don't think I will be buying another Renault, the Migraine electrics are about as good as an Alpha Romeo from neighbouring Italy.

I fought like eck and eventually got a reasonable deal but I still ended shelling out well over a thou sterlings - you are right, it is not fair but that is the motor industry for you.

Andy
 :149:
« Last Edit: 15 March, 2015, 02:37:10 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #22 on: 17 March, 2015, 10:35:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by barneybanana [+]
My bike was first delivered/registered on 21/10/2008, so is within the 7 year period.

On another point, if the bike is found to have a blown regulator/rectifier at the same time, should that repair also be covered by Honda? Would the burnt out stator contribute to this?
Had my stator and rotor replaced in June last year as covered by the Honda extended warranty.
No issues with the dealer.....but had to wait some three weeks to get the parts from the manufacturer as Honda had non in stock.
The regulator was also replaced at no cost.....but I think that this has more to do with the dealer stating that it could have "Potentially been damaged". Honda accepted same.

As stated above by Richard,they advised that the replacement parts were covered for six months.....which in my case did not matter as the extended warranty period overlapped the six months by another couple of months.

Whereabouts are you in Australia?....and what dealer are you using for the repairs?
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline barneybanana

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
« Reply #23 on: 29 March, 2015, 12:56:41 AM »
Well, received a message at the end of last week from MotoGC Honda letting me know that stator/flywheel repair/replacement had been completed. Went and collected my bike, totally covered by Honda, didn't cost me a cent. I feel lucky and releived, well done to Honda for covering this on a 6 and a half year old bike. Reg/Rec was found to be fine, battery is new so should have no more dramas for years to come, I hope. :047:

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #24 on: 29 March, 2015, 02:00:34 AM »
All is good. Now make sure you go out and enjoy the bike to the full.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline gingernutz

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Angmering
« Reply #25 on: 24 April, 2015, 12:00:53 AM »
Mine went yesterday 130 miles from home.  Spent the whole day getting relayed back to Sussex - missed my first day on a new job.   Honda Chichester had never heard of the issue (although tbh I only spoke to someone junior). Bike won't be looked at for a week but parts only take a day apparently.  Thanks for everyone posting the details of this issue.  The aa van had a capacitor they use which can be fitted across the battery and good enough to get you 50 miles- kept just for biffers. Mine is a 2009 mk1 with 24 k miles.  I only got it in December :(
A long time foccer turned biffer
CBF1000 GT in black

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #26 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by gingernutz [+]
Mine went yesterday 130 miles from home.  Spent the whole day getting relayed back to Sussex - missed my first day on a new job.   Honda Chichester had never heard of the issue (although tbh I only spoke to someone junior). Bike won't be looked at for a week but parts only take a day apparently.  Thanks for everyone posting the details of this issue.  The aa van had a capacitor they use which can be fitted across the battery and good enough to get you 50 miles- kept just for biffers. Mine is a 2009 mk1 with 24 k miles.  I only got it in December :(

Never heard of it my ass. Won't be looked at for a week for a test that takes literally 5 minutes. Parts available next day assuming they're in stock in the UK somewhere. I know they've done a lot for us with the 7 year warranty extension, but it still grates when you're bike is off the road for a week before they can even look at it....warranty VOR claims should be prioritised to my mind.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline STrep

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Cambridge
« Reply #27 on: 07 August, 2018, 01:39:48 AM »
The stator went on my wife's CBF last week. We were in the middle of a trip circumnavigating Lake Superior.

The Honda dealer in Thunder Bay charged us $927 CND. Unfortunately we had no other timely cost effective options.

STrep

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #28 on: 07 August, 2018, 06:52:51 PM »
Thatís about £550......... :005:

Iíve said this before, and Iíll say it again, if I had a MK1 Iíd just change the dam thing for peace of mind.  :028:

£100 diy job, why wouldnít you?  :187:

Recent Topics

diverse-leafy