Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stator failure  (Read 5493 times)

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: Stator failure
« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by barneybanana [+]
....I called Honda Aus. today and what do you know??
After giving them my VIN number, they confirmed that they did in fact have a service notice that had been ongoing for this fault, on a fix when failed sort of basis, and that my bike was covered!!
I then had to call my nearest Honda Dealer to organise the job to be done, wondering how I would transport bike to them. No problem, the Service bloke says, I live round the block from the other bikeshop, I'll pick it up tomorrow on my way to work!!!
WTF!! Unbelievable! They need to confirm fault and order parts, my fingers are crossed that everything now goes according to plan.
Wish me luck, and thanks for all your reply posts. The nicest people ride Hondas! :046:

That's great news, well done!  :002:   Exactly how old (years/months/days) is your bike?
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:31:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
That's great news, well done!  :002:   Exactly how old (years/months/days) is your bike?

Yep, please tell us exactly when the bike was first registered.

If it is within 7 years then anyone else suffering in similar circumstances will be quids or, in Aussie a couple of gorilla's.

If outside the 7 years, it might give those in the UK and EU a bit of hope as to there being flexibility with the 7 year limit.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »
I am the second owner of my bike. As it's in the workshop I can't double check the vehicle build date on it, but it is definitely a 2008/A model. :028:
Yeh, but it's understood that Honda base the warranty extension (to 7 years, covering the Generator) not on the factory build date, but on the date of first supply from new (usually via authorised dealer) to owner/keeper, i.e., what in the UK is called date of first registration.
So, what date is given on the documentation (or perhaps online) for the bike?  :440:
« Last Edit: 12 March, 2015, 10:27:51 AM by richardcbf »
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline barneybanana

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2015, 06:23:40 AM »
My bike was first delivered/registered on 21/10/2008, so is within the 7 year period.

On another point, if the bike is found to have a blown regulator/rectifier at the same time, should that repair also be covered by Honda? Would the burnt out stator contribute to this?

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2015, 07:05:35 AM »
My bike was first delivered/registered on 21/10/2008, so is within the 7 year period.

On another point, if the bike is found to have a blown regulator/rectifier at the same time, should that repair also be covered by Honda? Would the burnt out stator contribute to this?
Possibly, see below.....

*Originally Posted by Robo [+]
I know the part numbers are the same apart from the last three digits, EG,,, D01, D02, these are the upgraded ones.

I'm not sure if the original is just a part number without the last three digits or there is a D03 out now.

I do know there are three different ones out there, standard and two updates.

I've had 8 Stator's fry. two on the same day even without leaving Honda's workshop.

until now all work has been carried out by warranty. now Honda say NO. plus bike is older than 7 years.

Sometimes I had the regulator changed and  the flywheel when the updated Stator was used.......

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #15 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »

BarnyB

Nearly all (but not exclusively) stator failures have been just that and not included a failed regulator.  Failing regulators are not a common occurrence and anyway Honda should be making a final check of the whole electrical system output before returning the bike to you.  You could, of course always ask the dealer what their and Honda's position is should you regulator turn out to be failing as well.

I can't recall exactly where now but there has been at least on other in the UK who has experienced a failed/ing regulator at the same time and that was also replaced by Honda.  The Tech Service Bulletin issued in the UK/(EU ?) refers only to dealers replacing the stator and flywheel at the same time.  Speculation and perceived wisdom suggests that the replacement flywheel may have less strong magnets or magnet dimensions that allow a marginally wider air gap between the stator end posts and flywheel magnets.

Do make sure that Honda use the uprated stator and flywheel and not just replace with some older ones that may have been in stock somewhere in Aus for a long time.  The part numbers are different so it is possible to check, but anyway it is a reasonable question to ask of the repairing dealer if you are concerned at all.

It is worth remembering that once you are past your 7 year day (21st October this year) there will be no further warranty on these parts.  This is standard practice in the industry and does not include a years/2 years standard warranty on a part replaced under warranty where the normal warranty period would end after the original (in this case 7 years) warranty period.

Andy
 :149:

Offline Westy

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #16 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »
My regulator rectifier went bang at the same time as my stator. Don't know which caused the other to fail.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #17 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:26:04 PM »
I've had 8 Stators under warranty. including a flywheel at nearly every change and a few Regulators and a couple of batteries.

Honda should check and replace any part as these 4 things are related.

But if they don't and your bike breaks down again the new parts  have a warranty also. can't remember how long.

The latest Honda Stator ( three types) lasted me 60k
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #18 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Westy [+]
My regulator rectifier went bang at the same time as my stator. Don't know which caused the other to fail.

You live in a place with the worlds smallest pier so what do you expect  :164: .  Robo's experience can hardly be called typical with his hard and long mileage.  Very few regulators seem to have been replaced when the stator/flywheel fix is done, but as he/I have mentioned Honda should still check all outputs after the stator/flywheel has been swapped over and if not within operating parameters are most likely to swap the regulator as well even if not as stated on the TSB.  Honda have even been known to replace the battery if the dealer believes that to have been adversely effected by the stator failure.

The new parts have a warranty of 1 year the same as if you were to buy a replacement part yourself from Honda for that is the warranty they give on replacement parts OR less if you hit the 7 year barrier first.  You do not get a years warranty if, say, the stator/flywheel is replaced at 6 yrs 9 months then the warranty on the new stator will expire at 7 years and not 7 years 9 months (1 year on from the replacement).

Andy

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #19 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

You live in a place with the worlds smallest pier so what do you expect  :164: .  Robo's experience can hardly be called typical with his hard and long mileage.  Very few regulators seem to have been replaced when the stator/flywheel fix is done, but as he/I have mentioned Honda should still check all outputs after the stator/flywheel has been swapped over and if not within operating parameters are most likely to swap the regulator as well even if not as stated on the TSB.  Honda have even been known to replace the battery if the dealer believes that to have been adversely effected by the stator failure.

The new parts have a warranty of 1 year the same as if you were to buy a replacement part yourself from Honda for that is the warranty they give on replacement parts OR less if you hit the 7 year barrier first.  You do not get a years warranty if, say, the stator/flywheel is replaced at 6 yrs 9 months then the warranty on the new stator will expire at 7 years and not 7 years 9 months (1 year on from the replacement).

Andy

Crazy and dishonest! If I was to find myself in this position I would take it to the local trading standards officer
 as I can't see how the normal one year warranty on replacement parts can be ignored.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

diverse-leafy