Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stator failure  (Read 5494 times)

Offline barneybanana

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
Stator failure
« on: 11 March, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
Hi all,
           just experienced alternator/stator failure on my CBF 1000A/08 mk 1 model. Only 26000 kilometres on Odo.
I know some of you guys have been able to get Honda to replace or meet you halfway re cost etc. Any advice?
                                                                                                                                                                 Barneybanana :064:

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Re: Stator failure
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:14:28 AM »
Hand the bike to the nearest Honda dealer to sort for you.
Be sure they're aware of Honda's extended warranty on the stator failures.
There's a reference number to the Honda notice on one of the stator threads. Maybe someone can point you to it as I don't recall where I saw it.
« Last Edit: 11 March, 2015, 08:16:37 AM by Biker Mike »

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:20:56 AM »
What is the bike's first registration date, e.g., when supplied from new?

In Europe Honda issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for the CBF1000 (2006 - 2010 manufacture) which extended the warranty (covering 'Generator' = Stator & Rotor) to 7 years*, so hopefully Honda will provide that Worldwide.
Apparently that requires replacement, at Honda's cost for part and labour, of both Stator & Rotor.
I think that there's been a few reported cases where cost of Battery &/or Regulator/Rectifier have also been covered.
So, ask your dealer and quote TSB 230 820 11

*There have been examples in the UK where Honda have covered bikes that are a little older, but it may depend on mileage and/or other factors such as servicing history.
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline barneybanana

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:14:24 AM »
O.K. thanks guys , I'll contact my local Honda Dealer, but somehow don't fancy my chances as they didn't sell that many bikes here compared to Europe....

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by barneybanana [+]
O.K. thanks guys , I'll contact my local Honda Dealer, but somehow don't fancy my chances as they didn't sell that many bikes here compared to Europe....
I'm an optimist by nature and think you could/should try that first?  :027: ....

*Originally Posted by Sunset Rider [+]
Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
City / Town: Sydney

Re: It had to happen
« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »

Been a little while, so I thought better post an update.
Had the bike looked at at the workshop that does work on my other bike restorations. Confirmed the obvious that the stator had in fact given up the ghost. Rang up the dealer on Tuesday and explained the situation quoting the Honda TSB that I found in one of the posts on here. He brought it up on his computer and yes sure enough....enough there about the issue. Interestingly, Honda quoted the VIN/Chassis number range for the bikes affected. The first number in the range......is my bike. Not sure if that is good or bad. Before they could do anything, he had to run the test himself on behalf of Honda. Arranged for the bike to be transported to him on Tuesday. He rang me late Tuesday afternoon advising that the bike had indeed come in and that he did have a chance to perform the required test and confirmed that if failed and should be covered by the Warranty extension.
He rang me again the next morning at 8.45am and advised that he had spoken to Honda and they have approved the repairs to go ahead. They have a stator in stock, but need a rotor placed on back order and won't get into Sydney ETA 14th of June.
Considering that I am in a hospital bed having just undergone surgery on my shoulders, waiting till the 14th is the least of my concern.
I must say that having read the woes of some on the forum, I am ecstatic and dumb founded at the swift outcome.I had envisaged a long hard struggle......but someone up there must be shining (or taking pity) on me.
Ealy days,yes....but at least it is moving in the right direction.
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »
So then BB, the key to getting your foot in the door is to make sure you bike is within 7 years of first registration.  7 years and 3 weeks and you can forget it  :110: .

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
So then BB, ...... 7 years and 3 weeks and you can forget it  :110: .
Andy (Bifferman), doing a search of this forum will yield results which show that is not a valid statement for all cases so far.  :006:

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Andy (Bifferman), doing a search of this forum will yield results which show that is not a valid statement for all cases so far.  :006:

Not absolutely BUT it is in the lap of the Gods (those from Asgard not on here  :015: ) whether Honda take it on board after 7 years.  Even the 7 year 'extension' is discretionary although Honda have done the right thing and honoured all issues here (have they with Robo  :187: ).

Technically BB, I have to defer to Richards position but frankly mate don't hold your breath for very long if Honda Baulk.  I can't even say that the TSB is effective in Aus although it may help your case.  A least v Sunset Rider was successful so fingers crossed.

Andy
 :149: 

p.s.  Wayhey, I will be in Aussie in a few weeks time to get the fag end of your summer, staying in Manly (Used to live there at the bottom of Sydney Road so where else  :001: ).  At the risk of seriously annoying Lesley I would love to meet up with Biffer riders in the Sydney area even if only for an hour.  Have a tight itinerary but might but will be there 16 to 20 April before moving on to other antipodean delights.

PM's welcome if you want to meet a Pommey  bastuarde who even learned the Oz national Anthem in anticipation for becoming a legally recognised Aussie .. that was before the MKI Mrs Bifferman decided she wanted to return to blighty and get a divorce  :087: .   Aus doesn't suit everybody I guess  :112:  - embrace the people and culture I say  :028: .  A Good tune bye the way.
« Last Edit: 11 March, 2015, 12:55:53 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
Honda agreed to fix my Bike that is out of the 7 year period but I have history with Stators as most know.

I choose this time not to go with Honda only because my starter motor had packed up and I didn't want Honda to work on my bike as I know how dirty it is ETC, and Honda would have given me a large BILL, Bike still in bits , got to much on. need the rest.

I would be surprised if a CBF what hadn't had a problem until after the 7 year period will get repaired FOC .. Fight for it you never know...
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline barneybanana

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:55:11 AM »
Well, after bike died through stator failure on my way home from work last Wednesday, I had it towed to my local bikeshop, thinking that they would do the repair job. I told him that I wanted to pursue Honda as they had obviously had many issues with same part. He said, '"Right, GOOD LUCK! 7 years old, don't think so.
Anyway, I called Honda Aus. today and what do you know?? After giving them my VIN number, they confirmed that they did in fact have a service notice that had been ongoing for this fault, on a fix when failed sort of basis, and that my bike was covered!! I then had to call my nearest Honda Dealer to organise
the job to be done, wondering how I would transport bike to them. No problem, the Service bloke says, I live round the block from the other bikeshop, I'll pick it up tomorrow on my way to work!!! WTF!! Unbelievable! They need to confirm fault and order parts, my fingers are crossed that everything now goes according to plan.Wish me luck, and thanks for all your reply posts. The nicest people ride Hondas! :046:

Recent Topics

diverse-leafy