Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda or Givi top box and panniers?  (Read 16553 times)

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
  • Bike: HONDA CB1300
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Re: Honda or Givi top box and panniers?
« Reply #60 on: 16 January, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
The full GT kit I think is close to  £1500.

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #61 on: 16 January, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
Max load weight of 5kg for a top box?

That doesn't seem much, two bags of sugar? Surely not?

Mind you Honda say not to exceed 130kph with one fitted so what do they know!  :001:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #62 on: 16 January, 2015, 06:47:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
Exactly,  but I've been given a deal whereby there's  only £43 difference between  the Givi and Honda full set. This is my quandary. I'd be able to transfer any Givi to another bike but don't forget  I would be able to ask more  for a biffer with Honda luggage on even if it wasn't  for the full amount.

Extra's on a bike make very little difference in price to a dealer. When I sold one of my bikes it worked out better to strip off most of my extra's (not the heated grips or front extender fender) and sell them myself.

I sold the luggage racks, hugger, engine bars, radiator cover , screen etc and only lost out on £100 on the trade in.

Extra's help the dealer to sell a bike, but not a seller to get a better deal.

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
« Reply #63 on: 16 January, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
Extra's on a bike make very little difference in price to a dealer. When I sold one of my bikes it worked out better to strip off most of my extra's (not the heated grips or front extender fender) and sell them myself.

I sold the luggage racks, hugger, engine bars, radiator cover , screen etc and only lost out on £100 on the trade in.

Extra's help the dealer to sell a bike, but not a seller to get a better deal.
Yes, what I meant to say was that the Honda luggage would be sold separately and privately.  I've never sold a bike to a dealer, always advertised privately.  The point I'm  making is that the purchase  of the Honda luggage  wouldn't  be totally lost. I would get a good few hundred for it in good condition.  But it looks as if I may have to buy new as top box and panniers in the colour I want don't  come up very often second  hand. I have got time on my side and can wait but I repeat the colour coded Honda kit for only 40 odd pounds more than the Givi is a very good deal.

Offline Dave 01

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda Cbf100A
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #64 on: 06 March, 2017, 02:48:33 AM »
Feck, Think I'll stay with my Burghoose Back pack rather than paying close to a Grand for a pannier set ... :(

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
« Reply #65 on: 06 March, 2017, 06:14:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dave 01 [+]
Feck, Think I'll stay with my Burghoose Back pack rather than paying close to a Grand for a pannier set ... :(

... Which is why it makes sense to try to pick up a GT with the luggage on in the first place.
Biffer prices are not what they were.

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #66 on: 11 March, 2017, 06:33:21 AM »
Bit late on this discussion....however, I happen to have both. The CBF has full Honda Touring set and the VFR800 I use to tour Europe has a set of V35 and a Givi Maxxia 55l. Both sets are more that adequate for my needs. The quality is not much different...however the Honda Lids to seem to be stiffer/stronger.

If I was in a position to have to buy again, I would go the GIVI way.....only because it is more adaptable to fit to almost any other bike that I would be likely to buy next. Simply change the PLX (PLXI if you are fussy) rack to fit accordingly. They look quite the part when color coded to the bike as well which is what I will do before selling the VFR. After my next European/Baltic tour, I am thinking of bringing back a set of V35 for potential future use. They are much cheaper and available in the UK than Australia.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline Dave 01

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda Cbf100A
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #67 on: 11 March, 2017, 10:30:32 PM »
Yep Knapdog,
My mate bought a GT with all the panniers and top box on. I guess this just comes as standard with them bikes.

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #68 on: 14 March, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »
All you Givi Monokey owners out there: could someone please tell me the centre-to-centre distance between the two locating points on the back of the rack where the box slots in please? Cheers.  :465:
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #69 on: 14 March, 2017, 10:43:52 AM »
250 mm
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

diverse-leafy