Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sorry emigrating to Kwack  (Read 11860 times)

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
Re: Sorry emigrating to Kwack
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
Best of luck.
Higher seat.
Less comfortable  seat.
Less miles per gallon.
The only mod you need to add to an SX is a Sergeant Seat other than that its brilliant to ride and more smiles per gallon  :152:
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2015, 09:33:06 AM by golfsharpy12 »

Offline lew600fazer

• CBF Legend
  • living in France and not happy
  • Bike: 2013 Yam MT-09
  • City / Town: La Sauvetat
« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:52:51 AM »
Why do people who do not know the SX continually say no top box this is absolute rubbish. You can have the three box system Givi do it and have been doing it since 2011 and the same still applies.
kawasaki themselves offer it as an option instead of the panniers, I think this is were folk get confused.
Good choice of bike Ged, I remember when we had a ride down to Dover last April we had a conversation about the SX , you will enjoy it, keep your eyes open though for a Sargent seat it is a must as the Kwack stock seat is agony after 100 miles or so.
Fazer 600 S1 2007
Black CBF GT 2008
Z1000SX Tourer2011
Fazer 600 S2 2013
FZ1 2009, MT-09 2013

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by golfsharpy12 [+]
The only mod you need to add to an SX is a Sergeant Seat other than that its brilliant to ride and more smiles per gallon  :152:

*Originally Posted by lew600fazer [+]
.... a Sargent seat it is a must as the Kwack stock seat is agony after 100 miles or so.
Is it because the Z1000sx was designed with 'sports' more in mind than 'touring' that the stock (oem) seat is not as comfortable on a long run as the stock (oem) CBF1000 seat?
(Sargent say: "Our Super Cell Atomic Foam suspension is our own unique and proprietary blend of resilience, firmness, and vibration-absorption qualities - making it well suited for maximum long distance comfort.")
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
  • Bike: HONDA CB1300
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:05:03 AM »
Here is the quick comparison from nevman who has moved over to the "dark" side:

Categories winner:
- Power - SX
- Torque - SX above 7k revs. Up to 7k there is little difference between them.
- Agility - SX
- Comfort - CBF
- Fuel efficiency - CBF
- Fun factor - SX
- Street respect - SX  :016:
- Throttle control and predictability - CBF (or maybe I am just not fully used to it yet)
- Riding easiness - CBF
- Head and upper body wind protection - CBF but only with MRA screen with deflector
- Riding slow - CBF
- Riding fast - SX
- Cornering and roundabouts - SX
- Suspension - SX but needs to be adjusted for each individual
- Storage space under the seat - CBF

Biffer it is then. Everytime! !!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2015, 10:06:59 AM by knapdog »

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #14 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by lew600fazer [+]
Why do people who do not know the SX continually say no top box this is absolute rubbish. You can have the three box system Givi do it and have been doing it since 2011 and the same still applies.
kawasaki themselves offer it as an option instead of the panniers, I think this is were folk get confused.....
I think it's because, for the CBF1000, Honda offer colour matched top boxes and include one, along with panniers, for the 'GT' version.
i.e., Kawasaki do not, at least so far, do that for the Z1000sx.

Does the Z1000sx come (as stock/oem) with a Centre Stand?
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #15 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
Is it because the Z1000sx was designed with 'sports' more in mind than 'touring'

Which, I have always assumed, is why they don't offer a top box and pannier combo. I bet that they were concerned about the stress and stability on a 'sports' rear frame.

Not saying I'm right but you can easily see the reasoning for not making them OME. If someone were to overload the bike have problem and try legal action, at least the company wouldn't have shot themselves in the foot.

I notice they don't sell the SX as such in the States. There its a Ninja and sold as a "Sports". The luggage is still available but the only top box is 39 litre and the panniers only 28. You still can't have both though.

Given the US legal system if I were Kawasaki I wouldn't sell either. Interestingly on their only US advertised Sports Tourer (the 1400) they don't allow the 39 litre panniers with the 39 litre top box either!
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2015, 10:48:49 AM by Brit182 »

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #16 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
Here is the quick comparison from nevman who has moved over to the "dark" side:

Categories winner:
- Power - SX
- Torque - SX above 7k revs. Up to 7k there is little difference between them.
- Agility - SX
- Comfort - CBF
- Fuel efficiency - CBF
- Fun factor - SX
- Street respect - SX  :016:
- Throttle control and predictability - CBF (or maybe I am just not fully used to it yet)
- Riding easiness - CBF
- Head and upper body wind protection - CBF but only with MRA screen with deflector
- Riding slow - CBF
- Riding fast - SX
- Cornering and roundabouts - SX
- Suspension - SX but needs to be adjusted for each individual
- Storage space under the seat - CBF

Biffer it is then. Everytime! !!!!!!!!!!

But you are being selective and  forgot to add the rest of Nev's comments :

So, after 2 weeks on my SX, it is an easy winner for me. Both bikes in theory fall into the same sport-touring category, but they are very different. If CBF was 70% tourer, 30% sport, then SX is the other way around. No surprise Kawasaki called it 'sport bike for the real world'.
I would not recommend SX to a speed limit rider (we all are, aren't we?), who likes to cruise on the motorways and do 100's of miles trips watching the landshaft. In standard spec it is not too comfy for long rides. Strong knees and knee grips is a must, otherwise you are busting your balls at every hard braking. Having said that, I still plan a tour to Poland next year :016: Wrists are aching until you learn to use your knees on the tank to hold yourself on the bike, not the wrists on the handle bar. Also, @ 70-80mph on the 6th gear, throttle is in funny position, making it slightly uncomfortable to my wrists, but I am sure this is down to the individual and their reach, height, etc. Or maybe it is just an excuse to open it a bit more... :300:
Also, if you are long-legged as I am, you may struggle with gear changing with your knee in the tank recess, unless you change the rearsets.

However! If you find CBF a bit boring, heavy in corners, not sexy and want a bit more fun, like twisty roads and the feel of power without the need of resting your entire body on the fuel tank as on all sports bikes, the SX may be just the right choice. And every now and then you may get a nice smile from passing by ladies. Something I never experienced on
CBF :016:

Accept they are very different bikes - I always said that the CBF was an excellent bike - and based on owning 3 of them ( 1 x Mk 1 and 2 Mk 2s - all GTs) over 5 years and close to 35,000 miles - I guess I'm entitled to comment; however, for those who enjoy a progressive ride - the SX is a much better bike but like every bike has its compromises - it uses more fuel - but goes much quicker (if you want to).  It has a crap seat compared to the CBF but a Sergeant Seat sorts that.  For me the SX screen works really well - both CBFs (Mk1 and 2) had crap screens that required much fiddling and experimentation  to arrive at a compromised solution that is still far from the SXs screen in terms of both protection and  noise. 

That was for a 2013 Bike and the 2014 SX its even better with most of the minor niggles Nev referred to having been addressed plus TRACS, remote suspension and integrated luggage etc - but still no Centre Stand

For me the biggest downfall of the CBF is - if buying from new - its stupidly over priced and now a bit dated in comparison with other offerings at the same - or lower price - but I guess that's why Honda have stopped production and are dressing it up with lots of extras to try and sell the 2012 production they still have in stock.  The SX's biggest downfall - lack of a centre stand - other than that they are selling all they can make to the point where they had to bring in the 2015 production in Aug 2014 to keep up with demand.     

They are both great bikes but at least for me - the SX is much better and its making me get out and ride much more - frankly the CBF in the end, lacked the spark to make me want to get out there.    Still rate the CBF and would not knock it - if that's what you want but times have changed.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #17 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:29:29 PM »

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #18 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:42:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
Mike, I think Lew's point was that aftermarket (e.g. Givi) sets of cases (Panniers & top Box) are available for the Z1000sx.

Having said that, Kawasaki do indeed advise otherwise for their own luggage....
"Topcase system 39L - Z1000SX
(Topcase cannot be used in combination with panniers)
"
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/accessories/luggage/z1000sx/2014/topcase_system_39l_-_z1000sx?UidCat=0B1BCg1QWl1bXVxcXA4NXAlYWgoLWA5eDlAMWAkLUFENCQtGDQZFPSM&UidSubCat=0546WlhZXFhaWllYWFlYWVhcW1pZRg0GRT0j&CodeModel=0218MjpZWFhYOzA&Uid_Model=05FAWlhZW1laWFpaWllQWVBZWl1ZXlxQRg0GRT0j&Uid=05EAWlhZXFhaWllYWFlaWVpfUFlZWFteRg0GRT0j

"Topcase System 47L - Z1000SX
(Non Kawasaki branded product).(Topcase cannot be used in combination with panniers)
"
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/accessories/luggage/z1000sx/2014/topcase_system_47l_-_z1000sx?UidCat=0B1BCg1QWl1bXVxcXA4NXAlYWgoLWA5eDlAMWAkLUFENCQtGDQZFPSM&UidSubCat=0546WlhZXFhaWllYWFlYWVhcW1pZRg0GRT0j&CodeModel=0218MjpZWFhYOzA&Uid_Model=05FAWlhZW1laWFpaWllQWVBZWl1ZXlxQRg0GRT0j&Uid=05BBWlhZXFhaWllYWFlaWVpeW1pfUVhGDQZFPSM

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
  • Bike: HONDA CB1300
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
« Reply #19 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by golfsharpy12 [+]
But you are being selective and  forgot to add the rest of Nev's comments :

So, after 2 weeks on my SX, it is an easy winner for me. Both bikes in theory fall into the same sport-touring category, but they are very different. If CBF was 70% tourer, 30% sport, then SX is the other way round.
For me, that's a big difference and another good reason for preferring the Biffer ( and it has a centre stand).