Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Impressions  (Read 8712 times)

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 and T110
  • City / Town: In Hampshire
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: 10 January, 2017, 05:49:30 PM »
Kilometers? What are those? :016:

Just smooth, upright and Scottoiled. The penalty of a 90 mile per day commute.

Offline Bloitz

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A (07)
« Reply #31 on: 10 January, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gizmo [+]
Kilometers? What are those? :016:

Just smooth, upright and Scottoiled. The penalty of a 90 mile per day commute.

Wait, what? 18 - 20k miles from a PR4? And having the audacity to call that annoying?  :008:

For the sake of statistics (you know, people googling PR4 mileage trying to get an idea before purchasing): I did about 6850 miles with my rear. Could have probably stretched it to 7k but that would be well into the wear bars and I was fed up with it. Simply lost confidence in it. Still a good tyre but not the holy grail I hoped for.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #32 on: 10 January, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »
7,500 miles for both rear and front tyres  on PR4s with 'enthusiastic' riding. Approx 1,000 left, but I always replace tyres before they are near the legal limit.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 FAC
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #33 on: 10 January, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
I normally get 10k on a set of PR4s. I just replaced my chain and sprockets at 32k. Take me to your supplier ... they have better stuff than I can get over here on the continent.

:300:
Montblanc

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
« Reply #34 on: 20 July, 2017, 10:32:18 AM »
Starting to turn this into a 'life story' so tell me to 'shurrup wut' if enough is enough.

58,000 (ish) miles.

Well, the white BikeVis lights sent to replace the amber ones that burned out have - you guessed it - burned out. So they're heading for the bin.
Chain, sprockets (18t front) and tyres all replaced, trying out Metzeler RoadTec. Rear tyre managed a whole 2 weeks (900 mi) before picking up a nail. :172:
Squaring off already so not sure how long these will last.
They do seem quite grippy though as my boots will testify - getting chamfered due to frequent touching down in corners.

10 months and 15k mi and the Electrex stator has burned out again. Hadn't expected this until January '18 so hadn't yet bought in the replacement ready; so off the road again. :013: Hoping they'll replace this one under their 12 month warranty so at this rate could get free stators for life.

Engine's getting a bit 'ticky' so I think the clearances are going to need adjusting - not looking forward to that bill when it happens.

On the up side:
Fork oil finally replaced at 56k, not as long a life as the BMWs but not bad. Couple of hours in the workshop and job done.
Pads fitted at 17k are down to about their last 30-40% so maybe another year in them.

Still a decent workhorse but starting to get a 'what will break next feeling'.
Can't afford to replace it though so I guess I'll keep patching it up.

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 FAC
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #35 on: 20 July, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »
I have 12.5k miles on my PR4's and have about 2k miles left according to my mechanic. Got 10k on the last pair and only difference was a bit more highway miles this time. Very pleased with the performance of the PR4s.
Montblanc

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
« Reply #36 on: 20 November, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
In July I said
"Still a decent workhorse but starting to get a 'what will break next feeling'.
Can't afford to replace it though so I guess I'll keep patching it up."

Well, patching up continues...

61,000 ish miles.

Back into the workshop to replace the head races and get the valve clearances checked and adjusted.
Taking the shims out produced some interesting results. They were worn out.

Seriously, the shims were dished at the contact point! Better and bad example in the pic. So either not hardened properly or just loose enough that they were wearing away.

Honda were a pain with delivering the shims - order 16 / get 13 - chase remaining 3 / get 2 - chase last 1 / get 1 plus a bonus 2nd!

Finally back on the road and it looks as though the original battery is on it's way out.

Now for the real cherry on top - coming in to work this morning and the top rad hose has started leaking. Gentle ride home and hope it just needs resettling and tightening.

Wonder what will be next?

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
« Reply #37 on: 11 November, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »
Wow, a whole year since the last update.
Well, regular consumables have been replaced, stator number 4 burned out in May 2018, yet another one replaced under 1 year guarantee.
Electrex suspected that a faulty reg/rec might be having an impact so that has been replaced with one of their units too.

Certainly made a difference - only 6 months life and number 5 has burned out. Just not sure how much longer they will go along with the warranty though.
They always seem to burn out on a Friday, and always when I'm at work (get to office OK but no juice to come home) so I though I'd be clever.
Keep a battery at the office and a small charger, top it up, swap the battery and enough juice to get home - that was the plan. This time though there was enough to get the bike running for the first 40mins until dying in heavy traffic on the A3 in the dark and in the rain.
2.75 hours for AA to collect despite being in a high risk situation. Just as bad as the RAC but that's another story.

To be honest I think the bike is coming to the end of it's life at a meager 80.000 miles.
Neutral light is playing up, starter button is getting iffy (need to pull it back out to get the lights) and the indicator switch module needs to be pushed in a particular way to indicate right. The ignition switch module is sticking despite lubrication and it's due another monster service and valve check.
The chain is sounding creaky after only 26k and the Scott-Oiler now only has 2 conditions - On and Empty.

Now I'm going to make amount for a spare battery in the topbox and wire it in with a simple switch. If I keep it topped up then when the stator fails again I can just switch it over and at least get home. Just need to get through the winter and then get rid.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #38 on: 13 November, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »
You must hold the record for failed stators! :005: OK my Biffer (now with my son) has only done 30.000 miles or so but is still on its original stator, and it hasn't been molly-coddled! (I am an 'enthusiastic' rider but hope my son isn't, especially with his wife on the back!) :182: His other bike is a tuned Blackbird and considers MY Biffer as HIS moped...... :192:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #39 on: 13 November, 2018, 10:29:31 PM »
Have Honda suggested any reason why so many stators have failed ?

diverse-leafy