Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Impressions  (Read 9161 times)

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
  • Bike: HONDA CB1300
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #20 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:39:34 AM »
Thank you for your informative  report Gizmo.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #21 on: 26 January, 2015, 09:31:25 PM »
My Honda dealer always washes my bike, and I get it treated with ACF50 once a year so I don't need to wash it very often.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #22 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:30:58 PM »
Yeah, so does mine but it's a bit expensive on those occasions when the only thing else they do is an oil change!

Now the warrenty is up I think I'll do both myself!  :001:

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 and T110
  • City / Town: In Hampshire
« Reply #23 on: 22 December, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
Hi all,
Continuing to add information onto this post for anyone who wants a blow by blow account.
11 months and 2 services since my last post - been away a bit so a lower mileage than usual - and it's just gone through another MOT, 24k service and 32k service.
24k was the first top to toe inc. valves and the good news was nothing to do beyond usual consumables. Valves all within tolerances, chain fine and all bearings still smooth. So probably won't check the valves again until 50k.

HMC did get a little grease happy around the gearchange pivot which actually meant 1st was almost impossible to select on the road. Return, remove some grease and good to go.

MOT clean bill of health with just an advisory for (barely) notchy head races.

32k service - regular consumables, adjust head races and that's it.

Have fitted some CREE 10w LED spots, great for the lanes but useless as town/A-road riding lights. There is a shed load of light wash covering a huge area around the hot spot that does dazzle and piss off everyone in front or coming towards.
More a flood light than a spotlight.
Will rewire to high beam and fit something else to boost town/road visibility.

EBC pads fitted at 17k still good.

Original chain and sprockets still good.

Pilot road 3's fitted at around 20k still have plenty of tread so should be good through the winter into spring. 20k was a usual life from PR2/3 on my BMWs.

Offline NeiljohnUK

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 F650GS
  • City / Town: Soton.
« Reply #24 on: 22 December, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »
http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-running-lights are good, another Blue Biffer rider in 'Ampshir'.
Formerly an EMT (1), now a Superintendent, not that makes any difference, still just as crazy...
I ride for pleasure, commute mostly by PTW, do most of my own spannering.
Started to do my IAM, having done the RoSPA version years ago, seems I'm not fast enough, unlike the Chief Observer I'm not prepared to do 50+ in a 40 limit, so I've given it up as a bad job, 'too slow to pass, too old to care'!

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
« Reply #25 on: 31 December, 2015, 04:20:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK [+]
http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-running-lights are good, another Blue Biffer rider in 'Ampshir'.

Thanks, have looked at those but was undecided, looks like they'll be my best option in amber.

Offline bghonda

• CBF Pro
  • Heidi the Honda
  • Bike: CBR1000fa-b
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
« Reply #26 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:21:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
Just an old 100w bulb hanging from the ceiling. Before  next summer  I shall be looking for the hard side panniers  and top box to go touring. I'm  bracing myself to have to buy new as they  rarely  come up second hand.

Hi, I have a 2011 cbf, It has a genuine Honda top box fitted, I bought the bike second hand, it was already fitted :-).
I have bought a pair of new Givi pannier's, side pannier bars to follow. My wife and I are planning a trip to Bulgaria in July, I must add I've never done anything like this before lol.

My bike Seinna Red, so I'm going to get the pannier lids painted the same colour as the bike, but if you look on ebay there's a full genuine set, top box, panniers and frames for £700, it's described as new having been removed from a demonstrator bike.   
Keep it upright ;-)

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
« Reply #27 on: 10 January, 2017, 02:32:09 PM »
Just giving this an update - if the mods think enough is enough then feel free to lock the thread.

2 more services down - 40k and 48k - but the next is probably going to be a biggie!

Current mileage 52k

Nothing to report from last 2 services and another MOT with no advisories whatsoever.
EBC Pads fitted at 17k still going strong.

BikeVis amber lights were really dim and burned out quickly - replaced FOC with white by BikeVis.

Electrax stator fitted at 20k predictably burnt out at 43k. Next burn out planned for Jan/Feb 2018!
Spoke to the company though and they're working on a new version to hopefully overcome the design faults from Honda.

Original Chain and Sprockets finally need to be replaced but I suppose 52k is a reasonable life for them. Would like to raise the gearing which is going to be troublesome since the bike doesn't have the old fashioned speedo drive from the front wheel. Now driven from the gearbox so changing the sprocket size will throw the speedo out - stupid f...... design.
Potentially an indicated 80 will actually be 80 and the 8,000 service interval could be every 7,480. Gonna get complicated!

Tyres have had it again - Pilot Road 4's lasting around 18-20k. Annoying, trying to find some PR2s

Starting to dive more on the brakes now and an odd 'tick' noise from one fork on braking indicating that the fork oil is going to need replacing. PITA job as the forks don't come with a drain plug so have to be removed to drain.

Fitted a pair of TucanoUrbano R333 bar muffs for this winter. Streets ahead of the Oxford offering, no push back onto the grips, easy in and out, very good. Should've switched years ago.

Replaced one headlamp and one brakelight bulb too.
Bodywork condition holding up OK, last washed in September - might need cleaning again soonish.

Seems this is going to be one of those bikes that just needs to be used.
« Last Edit: 10 January, 2017, 02:34:15 PM by Gizmo »

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #28 on: 10 January, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »
I don't uderstand how you get 18-20K out of tyres and 52k out of a chain. Miraculous. :046:
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 FAC
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #29 on: 10 January, 2017, 05:03:34 PM »
Must be kilometers!?!
Montblanc