Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Impressions  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2014, 08:13:51 PM »
I found getting my Biffer on its centre stand was quite easy when new, (I've got Honda top box with grab handles replacing the 'hooks') but as the mileage got larger it got progressively harder as the rear shock started to sag. I was surprised how critical the ground clearance is when using the centre stand. I found even a plank no thicker than 1.5 cm under uthe rear wheel made it a dawdle when I just couldn't get it on the centre stand without it. I confess I only use the centre stand when oiling my chain or washing the bike.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
  • Bike: HONDA CB1300
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
Received  my mk2 this morning from courier. Bike has only done 145 miles from new and was  in showroom condition.
However  as it was coming  down the ramp the courier pointed out that there was  a slight dink on the fairing  when he picked it up.
I have now phoned and forwarded  a photo of this blemish to the dealer in Edinburgh  and await their reply.
I took it for a thirty mile spin and these are my findings (last bike was a Tiger 800):
1. Very quiet, very smooth engine
2. A gearbox like silk with no difficulty  finding neutral.
3. Feet firmly on the ground
4. Comfortable
5. Low centre  of  gravity.
6. Manoeuvrable
7. Nice easy clutch
I loved it.
But did notice I was getting  buffeting around a bit more than previous bikes.
The mirrors had been loosened and turned in for transportation. I've  now positioned  them but at a bit of a right angle to the bike. Do you tend to rake them in a bit more?
I also had the screen in its lowest position.

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
« Reply #12 on: 11 December, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
Received  my mk2 this morning from courier. Bike has only done 145 miles from new and was  in showroom condition.
However  as it was coming  down the ramp the courier pointed out that there was  a slight dink on the fairing  when he picked it up.
I have now phoned and forwarded  a photo of this blemish to the dealer in Edinburgh  and await their reply.
I took it for a thirty mile spin and these are my findings (last bike was a Tiger 800):
1. Very quiet, very smooth engine
2. A gearbox like silk with no difficulty  finding neutral.
3. Feet firmly on the ground
4. Comfortable
5. Low centre  of  gravity.
6. Manoeuvrable
7. Nice easy clutch
I loved it.
But did notice I was getting  buffeting around a bit more than previous bikes.
The mirrors had been loosened and turned in for transportation. I've  now positioned  them but at a bit of a right angle to the bike. Do you tend to rake them in a bit more?
I also had the screen in its lowest position.
......... and here it is...

Pyramid  hugger  fitted along with  Beowulf  radiator  guard  and Pyramid fender  extender.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #13 on: 11 December, 2014, 03:09:50 PM »
Looks really nice.
Very shiny (although I'm guessing you've fluorescent tubes in your garage).
Be a shame to hang luggage on it,

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
« Reply #14 on: 11 December, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
Looks really nice.
Very shiny (although I'm guessing you've fluorescent tubes in your garage).
Be a shame to hang luggage on it,
Just an old 100w bulb hanging from the ceiling. Before  next summer  I shall be looking for the hard side panniers  and top box to go touring. I'm  bracing myself to have to buy new as they  rarely  come up second hand.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #15 on: 11 December, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »
What did the dealer say about the damage.?

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
« Reply #16 on: 12 December, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
What did the 8dealer say about the damage.?
Due to the chap I dealt with  being on holiday,  I have  to  wait til Saturday  for a  phone call from  him.

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #17 on: 12 December, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
I'd say that was my bike but the garage is to tidy!  :008:

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • HONDA C70C, C90,
« Reply #18 on: 14 December, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
What did the dealer say about the damage.?

Two Wheels Honda Edinburgh were brilliant. I told them that the courier had noticed the mark on the fairing when he picked it up originally. The dink can hardly be seen out in the open but of course, within the shadows of the garage it now sticks out like a sore thumb.I can certainly understand how they missed it. They asked for a couple of photos of the dink and phoned me back on Saturday. They would be willing to send a courier down to pick up the bike and give me a full refund or would I accept £100 as some form of recompense. I gratefully accepted the cheque which they will put in the post on Monday and I can now put this towards a repair or simply put up with it.
Thank you Two Wheels. :031:  :123: :028: :046: :oldie:

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 and T110
  • City / Town: In Hampshire
« Reply #19 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:04:16 AM »
I said I'd add more thoughts as time went on so here goes.

3 months and 6,000 miles further on I'm feeling more at home but still go looking for 7th and 8th gears or the repeated check that 'yes - I'm still in 6th'.

Overall I'm happy with the bike but looking forward to the next changes - decent tyres and raised gearing.

Getting used to the mainstand, still say it's a weird angle but more used to the backward push required.

Mirrors are still difficult, haven't found any snap-backs yet but filtering is improved by removing the spacing blocks and using shorter bolts to mount directly against the fairing. Down side is that the narrowed angle means they can no longer cover the road directly behind the rider but fitting a wedge shape blindspot mirror changes the angle enough to now see directly behind.
Makes them about 3" narrower which is a lot on the road.

Not having the boxer vibes and a better position mean that my onset H.A.V.S has almost gone and my shoulder problems have also gone.  :046: :047: :046:

OE Front pads replaced at 17,000; wait to see if EBC gives better performance and life.

ScottOiler is proving really difficult to get right as our weather fluctuates so much at the moment - one day running dry, the next over oiled.

Vario screen adjusted as well as it'll get - it's OK, may look again in a few years time.

Original Bridgestones are coming to the end of their life, not so good at 17k. Michelin by end Feb I think.

Original headlight bulbs replaced with Ultra-Brights from Halfords, big difference.
Main beam aim is now correct - was seriously miles off - and took lots of tweaking to get right.
Putting the rubber cap back on the main beam light housing has been the cause of much swearing and cursing - who the hell designed that?? But am now a dab hand at removing the screen and dash inner in double quick time :015:

Oxford Hot Grips fitted - very easy job.

16k service done at Honda (without valves) has revealed the scariest thing yet - I've now got to start washing the bike.  :005: :005:
Honda dealers don't wash it?!?
One of the things about BMW is that they wash the bike before service - and a service every 13 weeks meant the bikes all stayed in reasonable nick.

Morning temperatures haven't dropped too far (-6C the lowest yet) but have shown that the old Boxer fable of cylinder heads keeping toes toasty - is actually true.

I'll see what happens but maybe a further update at 30k ish.

diverse-leafy