Author Topic: Never to old to learn new tricks  (Read 3309 times)

Online Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Never to old to learn new tricks
on: 24 September, 2014, 08:44:10 PM
Having only been riding for 60 years I still have lots to learn and one tip I had never though off helped me on our Balkans tour especially on high speed curves.

With a fully loaded bike I was finding my front wheel a little light and my lines around some bends were not 'ideal'. It was suggested that if I moved my head towards my elbow this would add weight to the front wheel, get me moving on the seat thus keeping the bike more upright and would make the lines more apparent. It works and I felt more secure when entering bends that previously I had had to 'fight'.

Try it and see if you don't already know about this tip - so you see you never know it all!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Re: Never to old to learn new tricks
Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2014, 08:51:57 PM
I'll be interested on your comment on this vid then Ken:
https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,17483.msg210859.html#msg210859

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2014, 11:58:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
very interesting video. I have not managed the time to watch the whole of the 1:34mins of it....but I will download it and watch it on my TV......it gets a bit much after 30mins on the laptop.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Online Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2014, 04:35:58 PM

I'll try to have a look a little later as I am trying to catch up with three week work!

Offline 4ShoreRider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Bridgewater,NS
Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2014, 03:06:52 PM
You are absolutely right. We are never too old to learn something new. I recently had a student who was riding for 35 and was unable to make a U-turn on the road. It took about 5 minutes to correct this and he went away as a happy camper. Now, if I can only get him to realize that you can use your back brake to come to a more controlled stop. Hmm... apparently he likes to be like Fred Flintstone and wear out his boot leather before his tires :)

Online Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2014, 12:08:58 PM

Well I've managed to watch some of it, but not yet all of it. So far I think there is a lot of commonsense in it, but perhaps a little too much 'how to go faster' rather than how to ride well and arrive at the other end having enjoyed a safe and controlled ride.

I fully agree with all the counter-steering footage, so have been working out why my new learnt skill gives me greater control around corners. Thinking about it, in the past, I think I was riding too upright in bends so that counter steering, although natural on a bend I assess correctly, or not too severe, if the bend tightens up and I have to lean the bike further, I have to deliberately push the inside handlebar. This tends to push me more upright, thus making it necessary to increase counter steering to get the bike to lean further. By dropping my head towards my elbow on the inside of the bend, counter steering remains 'natural' and when the bend tightens it is natural to drop my head further. This has two advantages, first counter steering remains 'natural' as dropping my head towards my elbow pushes my inside arm forward, and secondly it helps to keep the bike more upright rather than me! (I don't go around scraping my footrests deliberately, but it does happen on some slowish tight bends now and then...)

I've not tried my new learnt technique without all the hamper of full panniers and top box, nor around roads I know, so will report back when I've worked on it a bit more - but not as fast as some of my riding on the continent!

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2014, 01:39:57 PM
I think this typifies what I've found myself doing in bends lately.
Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Mike

Offline Markytp

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS-A
  • City / Town: Leeds
Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2014, 04:03:29 PM
I think this typifies what I've found myself doing in bends lately.
Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Mike

I've just done a 1 hour IAM assessment and this is the main thing I got picked up on - cornering.

I'll be honest, I have no confidence at all and tend to crawl round bends as opposed to riding round them. I'm booked on the IAM Skills For Life course and hoping for some improvement.
2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure with all the toys.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2014, 11:36:46 PM
We need to have a chat. I think I know what's going wrong but I don't want to explain as text, I want to show you and get you to try things out.

There's a protest ride on Saturday - will your foot be healed enough to come out to play?

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Markytp

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS-A
  • City / Town: Leeds
Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2014, 09:42:04 AM
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
We need to have a chat. I think I know what's going wrong but I don't want to explain as text, I want to show you and get you to try things out.

There's a protest ride on Saturday - will your foot be healed enough to come out to play?

Alan

Had the Xrays done last at A&E last night and two confirmed breaks in left foot.

Managed to blag my way out of having a half cast put on on the agreement that I do NOT ride the bike for any great distance for a week to allow the swelling to go down. Bit of a bugger getting my boots on at the moment. Have booked the bike in to have a new set of PR4's fitted on Saturday morning.

All that aside, could take a SHORT journey over to you Saturday afternoon??  :001:

Last Edit: 23 October, 2014, 09:50:26 AM by Markytp
2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure with all the toys.