Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PGM warning light  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Spanners62

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: Hellingly
PGM warning light
« on: 08 September, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
Greetings,

I have had more CBFs than I'm willing to admit to my bank manager but until now have never had a technical problem. In fact I was beginning to suspect that for a CBF to fail was against the law.
This morning as I rode off the PGM warning light came on, stayed on, went off, came back . . . you get the idea. I stopped the bike, re-started; same problem.
Rode a mile down the road and came back, the light now flashing on a 2 second cycle.

It's back in the garage now. If I turn on the ignition the PGM light goes off for a few seconds then goes in to the flash cycle again.
Power seems ok but the idling is rough.

Anyone got any ideas? I've got it booked in to P&H but they can't have a look until Thursday and I had specifically booked this week off work to do some touring

The  bike is a 2013 Mk11, 10000 miles, dealer serviced since new.

I need tea . . .
I feel like a military academy; bits of me keep passing out - Arthur Dent.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: PGM warning light
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
Link to Honda MKII Service Manual, large section on the FI system and flashing error codes: 

http://goo.gl/SWir44     MKII

Andy
 :149:

Offline Spanners62

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
You are a gentleman, a scholar and one hell of a guy.

Offline olliesme

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Stockport
« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
Hi

It could be a very simple answer. Were you riding in the sun?  The lights appear to be on if the sun shines on them at a certain angle. It doesn't happen too often as we don't get that much sun. Take it out for a ride after the suns gone down.

I actually noticed it occurred during a sunny ride this sunday.

Cheers ol
Black Mk 1 abs with fairings and full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips, Beowolf Rad grill, carbon pillion seat cover, extenda fender, T30 evos. 22 mm bar risers, adjustable levers, Tom Tom 400 premium Sat Nav
Manhoc Social Secretary

Offline Spanners62

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2014, 04:40:08 PM »
OK, Thanks to Bifferman I have worked out that it's a problem with the EGCV circuit (Code 34). Nothing I can do about it but the engine isn't about to explode which is a good thing.

#Olliesme - I know what you mean; I sometimes wear a bright yellow Shoei GT Air which compounds the problem. However in this case it's a genuine warning light: 3 long flashes, 4 short. Engine Gas Control Valve circuit error.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2014, 09:06:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Spanners62 [+]
OK, Thanks to Bifferman I have worked out that it's a problem with the EGCV circuit (Code 34). Nothing I can do about it but the engine isn't about to explode which is a good thing.

#Olliesme - I know what you mean; I sometimes wear a bright yellow Shoei GT Air which compounds the problem. However in this case it's a genuine warning light: 3 long flashes, 4 short. Engine Gas Control Valve circuit error.

Back into the dealer on Thursday then, their problem to resolve.

Offline r32

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2014, 06:25:32 PM »
Could be the servo motor for the valve in the exhaust, I've had two fail. power is down and fuel consumption goes up?

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »
Is that what we laymen call the Engine Gas Control Valve?
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline Spanners62

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
Yes, I reckon it is the servo motor. Fuel consumption and power have been all over the place for a couple of months, averaging 12.7mpl on one tank full then 11.3 on the next while doing the identical commuter route. Sometime she feels breathless.

Booked in for tomorrow but it looks like I may have to leave her there and get the train home from Crawley while they get the parts in. To compensate I've booked a test ride on a VFR800.

Has anyone else had a go on the new VFR?
Can't see the appeal going by the numbers alone; less torque, less power, poorer fuel consumption and costs more than a CBF.

Offline Spanners62

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
Just for info: it appears there is a problem with the ECM itself. P&H couldn't diagnose it themselves so they had to send the diagnostic file to Honda. In the meantime the bike is breathless and drinking fuel like an alcoholic.