Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel consumption...  (Read 10562 times)

Offline applecross

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Inverness
Re: Fuel consumption...
« Reply #60 on: 19 September, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »
Without wishing to get too political I know it was on the news a lot but it was a big deal.  However I was confident the good sense of the Scots would prevail and it has.  Over 85% voted that's passion and commitment not seen in politics in the UK for a long time.
Bike History.  Excelsior98, Francis Barnett 150, Francis Barnett 197, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports. BSA A10, BMW R100RT, Kawasaki Versy 650,  Honda CBF1000GT

Offline Devonisjustthebest

• Article Editor
  • Bike: CBF 1000A-8 2008
  • City / Town: Kingsteignton
« Reply #61 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »
I agree with applecross, I just ride for fun and the MPG in unimportant, I agree with the comment about the inaccurate fuel gauge though very poor!!!

When mine gets down to 1/4 I take no chances and fill up pretty quickly.

If MPG was important I'de go and buy a TDM or something much smaller!

Neil
Up there for thinking, down there for dancing!

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #62 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Devonisjustthebest [+]
I agree with applecross, I just ride for fun and the MPG in unimportant, I agree with the comment about the inaccurate fuel gauge though very poor!!!

When mine gets down to 1/4 I take no chances and fill up pretty quickly.

If MPG was important I'de go and buy a TDM or something much smaller!

Neil
I'm the same, but for some riders the CBF1000 is their only/main daily transport, so concern about mpg is understandable, as per the opening post in this topic.
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Devonisjustthebest

• Article Editor
  • Bike: CBF 1000A-8 2008
  • City / Town: Kingsteignton
« Reply #63 on: 20 September, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
Sorry, Point well made!
Up there for thinking, down there for dancing!

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 FAC
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #64 on: 20 September, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
I just like to measure stuff - average speed, performance of any kind, efficiency, etc. - must be the "inner engineer" trying to be heard.
Montblanc

Offline Steve T

• CBF Member
  • Bike: DL1000 V-Strom
  • City / Town: Elgin
« Reply #65 on: 05 April, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
Thought I'd add my tuppence to this long deceased thread.

Only had the CBF for a month and 700miles (got another steed to add miles to as well  :016:).

Thrapping along, or, as some would say, making progress  :007:, on twisty A & B roads that abound in this corner of the island, I got a little over 49mpg.

Just today, with the boss on the back for the first time on this machine - over 53mpg along the same route.

Seems to me that this machine is so laden with torque that it matters little how I ride, I still get a good return for my money from this litre machine  :046:  :152:

I personnally use the fuel consumption as an indication of the bikes health, taking into consideration the style of riding / route travelled of course.

End of my tuppence worth - moving on  :015:

Steve T

:018:
"Bad writing wastes time. Good writing bends time"

Dan Walsh

Offline Josiah

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: White CBF1000
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #66 on: 06 April, 2015, 08:03:23 AM »
Been reading this looongggg thread, :006:
On my mk1 24000 miles taught me to ignore the fuel gauge and to be safe I'd always fill up at about 150 mile using the trip.
On my mk2 and only 1600 miles I'm beginning to have doubts about the fuel gauge  :087: so I'm back to using the trip again and filling up at about 150 miles.

One thing I've not seen mentioned is atmospheric conditions which always used to affect engine performance, slightly damp air and the engines always seemed to produce more power which would give better mpg.

Me I don't care I just ride these days for pleasure I just don't want to run out of fuel.

Josiah ( still )  :125: ( and now kneeds more koffy )
I'd rather ride it than clean it!

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #67 on: 06 April, 2015, 10:14:14 AM »
On my MK 2, I reset the trip each time I fill up, but then I use the "amount of fuel used" display to see how much I've got left (it's a 20 litre tank, so easy to work out). Its pretty accurate.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Online Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #68 on: 06 April, 2015, 10:20:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
On my MK 2, I reset the trip each time I fill up, but then I use the "amount of fuel used" display to see how much I've got left (it's a 20 litre tank, so easy to work out). Its pretty accurate.

Alan

Huh, we MK1s have to use more brain power to work out how far we can go! :016: (I remember the days when I used to use a stick to dip the slab petrol tank on my car!)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #69 on: 06 April, 2015, 01:07:11 PM »
I use the "amount of fuel used" display

Some kind people on the forum told me how to set this up a while back and I found it pretty useful. Until I pressed the wrong button a few weeks afterwards and the computer reset itself back to the rolling display of how many litres were disappearing as I went along. Since then like Josiah I have stuck with the old method of seeing how many miles have gone by.

May dig out the thread later and have another go at the techno option. Used run corporate IT systems back in the day, so I really shouldn't be beaten by a jumped up digital clock! :008:

diverse-leafy