Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel consumption...  (Read 10423 times)

Offline 1madboiler

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sunderland
Fuel consumption...
« on: 01 September, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
A couple of things have struck me regarding fuel consumption. Would an MRA screen and a top box make that much difference to fuel economy? I am averaging 43mpg on my 2008 biffer, mostly commuting 13 miles each way but with the odd blast thrown in, commute is on A roads. I have read the previous posts on this subject but I am going to have to use the bike without the top box to see if it makes that much difference. My best ever tankful was 55mpg and that was a ride out without the top box but 12mpg difference??? I am rotund/pleasantly plump/corpulent (delete as required) and weigh around 15 1/2 stone. I seem to be miles away from what others are getting. Checked for binding brakes etc and everything is ok. The most worrying aspect of this for me is as a yorkshireman.... I am using more petrol than i need to.  :005:
« Last Edit: 21 February, 2015, 11:18:27 PM by Admin »

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Re: Fuel consumption...
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2014, 10:20:45 AM »
I believe screen and top box make less difference to fuel consumption than the types of roads you ride on.
Motorway blasts are far more likely to burn through your fuel than bimbling along on A's and B's.
 :016:
Mike

Offline Ossymosis

• CBF Master
  • never underestimate stupid poeple in large groups
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Eastbourne
« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2014, 11:31:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
I believe screen and top box make less difference to fuel consumption than the types of roads you ride on.
Motorway blasts are far more likely to burn through your fuel than bimbling along on A's and B's.
 :016:
Mike
I'm 19st and have found the opposite. longer runs on the motorway are better for my mpgs than doing shorter runs. I log my fill ups with fuelly and my all time average is just over 44mpg and best is 51.2. short journeys round town kill the mpg figures so if its under 6 miles will take the push bike.

also winter time mpg goes down as it takes longer for the engine to warm up.
2006 Honda CBF1000A-6
1981 Honda CX500B

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
Yep, I can see that Os, if you're spending time stuck in traffic rather than making steady progress.
Only yesterday, I was discussing with my daughter how costly and damaging to her car it was to drive two miles to work instead of walking.
 :151:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »
Top box, panniers loaded for touring, avoiding motorways / autoroutes still returns 50 plus mpg on my mark2. The wife's CBF600 does even better.  :028:

Offline gedspeed

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW R1200RS SE
  • City / Town: Blackpool Lancs
« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »
The most deciding factor is the amount of revs you use and how much twist of the throttle.

I get between 55 and 61 but i tend to use the bike in the 2-3.5k range, when i do pull 4-6k then i get down as low as 45mpg, lower the revs the less fuel.

Ged
BMW R1200RS Sport SE , blue pearl white

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »
At higher speeds wind resistance can have a major effect on fuel consumption. Screens and top boxes however don't contribute as much as, shall we say, a larger outline?....... :164:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Yunusemrekara RIP

• RIP
  • CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: İstanbul
« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
If oil had a low price, i think, no body wouldn't talk about milage but frequency of fill ups.

Why don't you try LPG  :008: doesn't matter how much cc you got, it's cheeeeap!

http://youtu.be/wF5zViHtLy0
Mercury - 2007 CBF1000A (MkI) - Grey
Istanbul, Turkey

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by yunusemrekara [+]
If oil had a low price, i think, no body wouldn't talk about milage but frequency of fill ups.

Why don't you try LPG  :008: doesn't matter how much cc you got, it's cheeeeap!

Unable to take bikes through the EuroTunnel if they run on LPG, plus wouldn't want to ride on two wheels with something as explosive as LPG directly in front of me. I'd need to rename the CBF, The Hindenburg.
 :018:

Offline Yunusemrekara RIP

• RIP
  • CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: İstanbul
« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:52:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
Unable to take bikes through the EuroTunnel if they run on LPG, plus wouldn't want to ride on two wheels with something as explosive as LPG directly in front of me. I'd need to rename the CBF, The Hindenburg.
 :018:

You got me Mike. :028:

Biffa is a sporty bike with a 1000cc detuned Fireblade engine, what do you expect?

It's funny to talk about for 4-5 miles in average. Is it because of touring screen, is it about twisting throttle?  :004:

You can fly with Hindenburg or you can ride NC700 for economy.
Mercury - 2007 CBF1000A (MkI) - Grey
Istanbul, Turkey

Recent Posts

diverse-leafy