Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is it just me...  (Read 862 times)

Offline 1madboiler

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sunderland
Is it just me...
« on: 27 August, 2014, 12:07:22 PM »
As previoulsy mentioned i am going to do a service, looking for the bits and I have spotted this, I also run a Honda Accord tourer and was searching for service bits for that too.....4 spark plugs for accord
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-NEW-BOSCH-SUPER-PLUS-SPARK-PLUGS-HONDA-CIVIC-ACCORD-CR-V-HR-V-SHUTTLE-SET-/290843549607?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AAccord+Tourer&hash=item43b7a05fa7

4 plugs for the biffer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-NGK-CR9EH-9-Hornet-CBR600-CBR900-VFR800-CBF1000-/360343375142?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item53e6238d26

Thats over £14 difference, I find it amazing that we are having our eyes taken out whenever we buy any parts for bikes...take brake pads, when I go to Andrew page and say I want a set of pads for my Accord they will sell me a box with 4 pads in for around £15...try the same with a bike and you get oh....you need 2 sets because it has twin discs, that'll be £50 !!!

Its tough being a yorkshireman...and no i'm not tight just careful and fed up with having my eyes taken out
Going to have to lay down now and get a new keyboard because I typed this whilst very angry :013:

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Is it just me...
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »
No, it's not you. The same applies down here- only last week I had a set of braided hoses ordered for an RD350LC that I am restoring. Cost was $190 (2hoses). Three months ago I purchased a set of braided hoses for yet anotner project my Mazda RX7 (4 hoses)....cost was $120.Same applies for spark plugs,filters......in fact I believe that they make up for what they loose in volume as the biked uses less. Tyres are also a good example as to how prices radically differs from cars to motorcycle.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
it certainly is not just you. I find the discrepancy in the cost of things almost breath taking with it having  nothing whatsoever to do with value for money or quality,and makes  total nonsence of the idea that you get what you pay for  , It certainly pays to shop round when buying most things ,other wise you stand a good chance of being taken for a ride ,and I dont mean on your bike.

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
it certainly is not just you. I find the discrepancy in the cost of things almost breath taking with it having  nothing whatsoever to do with value for money or quality,and makes  total nonsence of the idea that you get what you pay for  , It certainly pays to shop round when buying most things ,other wise you stand a good chance of being taken for a ride ,and I dont mean on your bike.

It comes back to how UK business have operated for the past 5 or 10 years - charge what the market will stand not a fair price for what its actually worth - the bottom line being to extract maximum profit.

Offline Wheeker_Pig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 GT
  • City / Town: Dumfries
« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
I think the same applied to Sat Nav systems as well.
My cheapo NavMan died last week and I thought about getting a bike specific one, but not at £250+!  :084:
Apart from being waterproof and having a 'twisty road' option, I can't see any real differences.

I'll probably stick with my phone in the tankbag and use that....or a map (much more fun).

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 FAC
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2014, 05:22:45 PM »
Am interested if any of you have recommendations on SatNav options. Seems to me a basic TomTom or similar can be used and put away if the weather turns. Would like to have something mounted and read that most options leave some part of the dash obstructed.
Montblanc

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
Some time ago, a magazine worked out how much it would cost to build a VFR800 from spares. Over £40,000....

Alan
[Richard will now find the internet link  :123: :123:]
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Markytp

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS-A
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2014, 09:01:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
Some time ago, a magazine worked out how much it would cost to build a VFR800 from spares. Over £40,000....

Alan

That's just plain crazy!
2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure with all the toys.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2014, 09:19:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Montblanc [+]
Am interested if any of you have recommendations on SatNav options. Seems to me a basic TomTom or similar can be used and put away if the weather turns. Would like to have something mounted and read that most options leave some part of the dash obstructed.

I used a TomTom 720 for a while, if it rained I just put a see through plastic bag over it. Then I treated myself to a Garmin Zumo 660.

Take a look in my album.....    https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=63    :028:

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]

Alan

I worked it out for the mark 1 cbf1000. If I recall the cost was similar.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.