Author Topic: Riding in the Mountains  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF 1000 FAC
  • City / Town: Geneva
Riding in the Mountains
on: 11 August, 2014, 08:42:25 AM
I have just returned to motorcycling after a number of years and bought the CBF 1000 FAC. As some of my riding will be in the mountains I was searching the web for some tips to refresh my skills and stumbled across a site that covers "mountain riding", "riders returning to biking after some time away" and a number of other topics. The site is http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/
Montblanc

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Re: Riding in the Mountains
Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:43:10 AM
My experience of mountain riding is limited but what I remember is twofold:

1. You get dehydrated much easier than normal. So, take extra water.
2. As you go up, breathing gets harder - over 5,000 feet and you need to consciously take extra breaths.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:23:02 AM
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
My experience of mountain riding is limited but what I remember is twofold:

1. You get dehydrated much easier than normal. So, take extra water.
2. As you go up, breathing gets harder - over 5,000 feet and you need to consciously take extra breaths.

Alan

Sounds to me more like you are riding a push bike in the mountains Alan :mfrlol:

Just love the Alps try to get there every summer on the motorbike and and a skiing trip in the winter.
Deeply jealous of your location Montblanc.

Pete

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:37:28 AM
Geneva is a great place to be. Will spend a lot of time touring Switzerland and in the Swiss Alps in September and during the 2015 season.
Montblanc

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2014, 03:50:02 PM
Thanks for the site, while I don't go along with all the advice, there's lots of good advice and food for thought.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2014, 03:56:17 PM
Most welcome. I searched the forum afterward and found that it had been referenced before. Which parts of their advice do you not go along with?
Montblanc

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2014, 08:32:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Montblanc [+]
Most welcome. I searched the forum afterward and found that it had been referenced before. Which parts of their advice do you not go along with?

Forgive me but I'll have to read through it all again when I have time. I think it was in the braking section, but I'll respond when I've read it again - it took me quite a long time, but as I've already said it is well worthwhile reading.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2014, 09:18:28 PM
Thanks. Am very interested in your feedback on this. I also found a pdf file put out by the Danish (I think) called "Full Control" that goes over similar stuff and has a number of exercises for mastering the techniques. I am coming back to biking after many years away and realise that I need a serious refresh of what I had learned before and had become second nature. If you think others might be interested I could post this somewhere on the site.
Montblanc

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2014, 08:47:01 AM
I have put about 1000 miles on the bike in the last 2 weeks with most of that in the mountains near Geneva. What I find has helped the most with my cornering and braking technique is to ride the same roads a few times, starting at a very comfortable speed and working through the curves and switchbacks with plenty of margin. Then I have been progressively picking up the speed through the same runs and keeping it at the new level until I can maintain good lines through the entire run. I can now make the runs comfortably and am having a blast. Also got caught out in the rain 4 or 5 times and that ended up being being part of the fun. For me there is no substitute for seat time and practice.
Montblanc