Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bridgestones  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Peteb68

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 06 CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Wirral
Bridgestones
« on: 21 April, 2007, 01:39:21 PM »
Just a word of warning to any CBF's running OE Bridgestone BT 57's, LET THEM WARM UP BEFORE OPENING THROTTLE ON GREASY ROADS. I nearly lost the bike after opening it up on a left hand bend with cold tyres and a week of sun on the tarmac, there was no diesel on the road and the back end just started sliding and the bike damn near high sided me(my left foot came off the peg and wore it down to the steel toe caps flicking the bike over and a scrape on the RIGHT hand side of centre stand showing how much it went over the other way). Luckily the front end kept its cool and I did'nt come a cropper. The last time I had trouble with OE Bridgestones  was on a new GPX 600 when they would just spin on acceleration in the wet.

I'm not knocking the tyres They are great when warm, just be careful.

Pete

Offline B12Steve

• CBF Master
Re: Bridgestones
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2007, 12:49:03 PM »
PeteB68,

Been there done that. I nearly lost my pillion when the back stepped out on me! There are quite a few threads on the BT57 performance here.

Steve.

Offline Dodger

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »
Pete

check out the threads on tyres

The 057's are sh1t in wet and greasy conditions.  I changed mine after a wet ride when the bike was all over the place.

020's much better

I now have Pilots on my new bike and they seem to be good but I am yet to try them in the wet.

The 057's should be consigned to the bin in my opinion

If you are arguing with an idiot make sure the other guy is not doing the same

Offline neoxeo

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »
After 6000 km changed the 057’s . As I do 50% of motorway the things were flat as a pancake and going all over the place in wet conditions.
Have now a new set of 021 on. Seems to be an other bike.
I have no info about grip in the rain as we have not seen a drop for one month now.

Offline Sonic

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
Remember the 57 has been out for about 10 years, the 020 is 8 years old & that has been replaced by the 021 now.
I can remember the 54 & they were terrible in the cold & wet.

Offline BB3

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2007, 08:00:12 PM »
Have the 014's fitter, last me 6000miles and so far stick like glue.

Offline Petrust

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2007, 08:52:45 PM »
I've still got the OE BT57's on mine, and like everyone else I've had a few scary moments in the wet. I've already decided I will change to Pilot Road 2's next, but even after 3500 miles there still seems to be loads of life left in the Bridgestones, and it seems almost criminal to bin two perfectly legal tyres. Decisions, decisions............
Let's be careful out there

Offline voomonster

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2007, 03:59:42 PM »
I've been having some issues with a twitchy rear for a while now and I couldn't fathom out why but now that I've read this thread it all makes sense.
Just over 5000 miles on the original 057's and they're squaring so I'll make sure that I get something decent on in the next few weeks.  :112:
It's better to burn out than to fade away

Offline Phoenix

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »
I'm still seriously thinking about the Avon Storms. Loads left on my 57's so a bit reluctant to change them just yet. I just hope the good weather lasts.

Offline Scarer

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2007, 06:40:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Petrust [+]
I've still got the OE BT57's on mine, and like everyone else I've had a few scary moments in the wet. I've already decided I will change to Pilot Road 2's next, but even after 3500 miles there still seems to be loads of life left in the Bridgestones, and it seems almost criminal to bin two perfectly legal tyres. Decisions, decisions............

I felt the same as you and decided to carry on carefully with the 057's, but last night my decision was made for me as I had the rear tyre deflate on me in about 20secs as I rode down the M25. It looks like I ran over a screw or something, anyway I've had the Pilot Road 2's fitted today for £204 for the pair so we shall see! I had done 9750 miles on the 057's and I reckon they would have been good for 13-15000 miles although rather squared off but I don't feel too bad that my hand has been forced I would have changed them in August anyway so that I had nicely run in tyres for our trip to France in Sept.

diverse-leafy