Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Confession - dropped bile at 0 mph  (Read 11389 times)

Offline PJM

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: NC750D Integra
  • City / Town: London
Confession - dropped bile at 0 mph
« on: 20 May, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
I had just come back from a great ride and was feeling quite smug as I had been following my IAM training to a tee and getting good positions , good lines etc and good throttle control in bends blah, blah, blah. Got home and tried to turn around in front of my garage at 0 mph and stalled and down she went. It was all very slow mo. Touratech Barkbuster saved the front brake lever and total damage is a couple of small scuffed areas on the fairing, mirror, exhaust and engine cover. I had only ridden about 25 miles since filling up and fuel started to leak from the cap at quite an alarming rate. I used the push the bike up with my backside method but initially could not get it more than a foot off of the ground. I was alone and no wife/neighbours were in. I then used a piece of 2x2 wood lever and managed to get it up enough to get an axle stand, protected with a rag, under the front edge of the seat. From this position I managed to get enough leverage with my legs and backside to get it up. No real damage and everything looks fine apart from the small scuffs and a massive dent in my pride. Would engine bars have made much difference. Might have saved the fairing. So frustrating after thinking I was really getting to grips with it all. Pride before a fall - literally :(

I have a machine control day with the IAM on Sunday so hopefully work out where I went wrong. It is a tight space and I have got round numerous times before without a glitch. Just goes to show how easy it is with the weight of current bikes. Once they have gone passed the point of no return there is nothing you can do.

Lets hope my confession is good for the soul :):)

Offline Lew4406

• CBF Legend
  • Its all about the fun!!!
  • Bike: BMWF700GS
  • City / Town: Warrington
Re: Confession - dropped bile at 0 mph
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2014, 04:05:13 PM »
I almost did the same thing day after getting the biffer turned to sharp onto my drive and lost it, I don't know to this day how I kept it up but I did. As it went I managed to lock out my right leg, it totally knack erred up my leg muscles but I kept hold of the bike, as luck would have it I had my helmet on so my wife could not see my screaming face!.

When I picked up by brand new BMW I had been out all day and came back home, I always stop at the end of the drive and push the bike into the garage. On this occasion I had been watching Ewan and Charlie the night before so I stood up on the pegs and rode over the grass into the garage.........on the the sloppy surface. The bike just went from under me, again I had a bit of luck I got trapped between the bike and the side of the garage wall s I managed to keep it up  :087:

It's all a learning curve!!

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
If I had to hazard a guess as to where it all went wrong, I would suggest you weren't slipping the clutch with enough revs on. Well done using items to hand to pick it up though. Hopefully you won't need to practice that too much more!! Crash bars would've saved the engine case, but probably not much else. I found it depends on the angle the bars are at as to whether the fairing etc hits.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline parkmoy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Silver 2011GT
  • City / Town: Hoveringham
« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »
I know the feeling. Last year after 350 miles and feeling tired I was stopped at a crossroads and when I started off she stalled and as you say a very gentle slo mo fall to the ground. Bit of a scratch to the fairing and pannier. Got it up with the back to the seat method though :002:

It took me a while to realise why I stalled it. I blame the Biffer and all that torque :164: Approaching the junction I hadn't kicked down to first and tried to take off in too high a gear, hence the stall. Lesson learned and £100 sorted a very good respray of the bits. You do feel such a fool though  :430:
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence.

Offline PJM

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: NC750D Integra
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »
You are probably right. I am looking forward to Sunday to have a full days training. I am of the generation that missed out on cones and figure of eights etc. I am happy enough in doing u turns and slow bike control in most situations but my driveway has a very small turning circle in front of the garage and it needs a full lock turn at zero mph to get around but you still cannot do it in one. Just got a bit too clever for my own good today as I had been making the turn tighter and tighter without a hitch. I guess I will find out on a Sunday that I have to hold a lot more revs. Sound to harsh for my old fashioned ears :) not sure I will bother with a respraying as it makes it looked more lived in ..

Offline Rustyrig

• CBF Legend
  • Ride and smile
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
Not many that haven't done it, twice for me one each side, foot down only to find nothing there and over we went, but matching sides and both times my Rospa instructor was with me bloody jinks he is  :mfrlol:

It happens pride dented and kicking yourself all over the place won't help so back on and ride there's nowt that can't be fixed.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
I don't think I've confessed on here before, but have 'dropped' my CBF1000 3 times at '0' mph.  :430:
1) Wet Grass - coming to a stop to park (no damage, even though it had full panniers & top box)
2) Loose chippings topped tarmac steep drive - pulling away & turning right (broken brake lever and a couple of slight grazes on r/h lower fairing).
3) Curb in car park - clipped it trying to make too tight a slow turn (bent clutch lever)

Each time I'd been 'rushing' to arrive or get away - and needed a hand to lift it up.  :110:

:159:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline tubsy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: hull
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »
hi I've got the gt model dropped mine with r&g crash bobbins on craze to crash bobbin other then that no damage plus it makes it easy to get back up because it does not lay flat on ground must admit the best investment I've made with no damage laughed about It
 carried on and had a good ride

Offline DJ!

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Enniskillen
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »
Its not always a bad thing dropping your bike, 25 years ago I dropped my girlfriend off literally very late at night. I pulled up outside her house on my CB250N Superdream on pea gravel, went to turn round n down we went.  Very slow speed tumble, no harm done except to my ego. However when I picked the bike up it would not start. Despite fumbling round the bike for ages in the dark n tryin to bump start it down the drive it would not go. Finally I gave up n out of pity I think I was invited to spend the night with her.  :001:  Next morning in daylight I spotted that id knocked the kill switch to Off. Came back in n told her id fixed it. Man of many talents or wot.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »
I'm a life member of the SAD (stopped and dropped) club, and did my apprenticeship with two Deauvilles. However my 'best' SAD moment was as I went into the car park on my Biffer for the annual IAM conference with fully loaded panniers and top box after a long time in the saddle. I failed to notice a drain, dropped the front wheel into it causing the bike to stop unexpectedly. It was leaning over but when I put my foot out the curb stopped me getting it out far enough so with great dignity we fell over with my leg trapped under the bike and the rest of me in the bushes. I was well and truly stuck and had to wait until another car turned in and fortunately the driver was young enough to help lift the bike.

Another reminder that bikes bring us down to earth if we get overconfident or too cocky!

ps welcome to membership of the SAD club.....
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

diverse-leafy