Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pirelli Angel GT Warning  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: Pirelli Angel GT Warning
« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2014, 11:26:02 PM »
Honda have a very low max load for a top box, but I've had a good few bottles of wine (red) in my top box, plus both panniers bulging and although the bike feels less enthusiastic when flicking it around on twisties, I never had any problems. I was on PR3s. Great tyres, I am on my third set and will be going for PR4s before I go on my continenetal tour in September.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline NeiljohnUK

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 F650GS
  • City / Town: Soton.
« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rickr10 [+]
I'm not convinced its the top box I have ridden several different bikes over the years with top boxes and never had a problem.  Sometimes at higher speeds a top box can cause the bike to feel like it is weaving slightly, add a passenger or remove it and it stops.

Aerodynamic effects, I ride several bikes with and without, and different sized top boxes, they do make a difference. I find the biffer is more stable with OEM panniers fitted than without, again down to their front air scoop shape effectively stabilising the bike, at the cost of 4 mpg and less filtering...
Formerly an EMT (1), now a Superintendent, not that makes any difference, still just as crazy...
I ride for pleasure, commute mostly by PTW, do most of my own spannering.
Started to do my IAM, having done the RoSPA version years ago, seems I'm not fast enough, unlike the Chief Observer I'm not prepared to do 50+ in a 40 limit, so I've given it up as a bad job, 'too slow to pass, too old to care'!

Offline 1madboiler

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sunderland
« Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »
I have a 45litre Kappa/Givi top box fitted to my mk 1, I had PR3's fitted 6500miles ago and had no problems at all, no wobbles or strange handling etc. I noticed before fitting the tyres last August that if I took my hands off the bars I would get a severe head shake but I have since had my Head bearings replaced so that may also have been a contributing factor. I am no lightweight either and i am on the second from softest on the rear shock. I haven't noticed any difference if I take the box off either.

Offline lew600fazer

• CBF Legend
  • living in France and not happy
  • Bike: 2013 Yam MT-09
  • City / Town: La Sauvetat
« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2014, 12:42:12 AM »
I had the Mk1 GT and never got full wear out of the BT 057 originals or the PR2's as mentioned in the opening post they ridged a bit. I toured a lot on that bike and when it was loaded panniers & top box the front end never felt planted, but as I was aware of it it never gave me a problem. I would not be blaming the Angels GT's it is a problem stemming from the front end being light because of the luguage and I would suspect all bikes fitted with top boxes would have similar issues to a certain extent, I know my SX did as does my FZ1&FZ6
Fazer 600 S1 2007
Black CBF GT 2008
Z1000SX Tourer2011
Fazer 600 S2 2013
FZ1 2009, MT-09 2013

diverse-leafy