Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pirelli Angel GT Warning  (Read 3533 times)

Offline 12peteruk

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Pirelli Angel GT Warning
« on: 23 April, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Have done 3,000 mixed weather miles on the Angel GT tires on my MK1 Biffer, and up to now I have been really pleased with the tires performance. Unfortunately my bike started suffering from the dreaded "steering wobble" at low speeds so I just spent a few hours up at Wheels in Peterborough having various elements of the bike looked at. Must say the forum was great with information on this topic, but everything got a clean bill of health except my front tire.

Issue is my bike has a Honda top box. Apparently that changes the weight distribution towards the rear of the bike. :006: May seem logical, but apparently it makes a big difference to how the front tire makes contact with the road!. The outcome is that my front tire has not worn evenly across its curved surface and it has developed a "ridge" just off-center on the right hand side of the tire. You can actually feel it as you run your hand across the tire, and the effect is that the tire does not run smoothly on the road. There is probably a good technical explanation somewhere, but not from me!. Its not a common problem but the garage have seen it in the past on a Fireblade and a Kawasaki Zephyr.

Now the issue is when I bought the bike from Wheels it was just a year old with 3,900 miles and they had to change the front tire as it was "warped". That was the BT057 original tire, and I took the opportunity to upgrade all the bike's rubber to the Angel GT's. Perhaps the BT057 suffered from the same issue?, I never checked. If it was the same issue then Honda's top box has a negative track record of eating front wheel rubber in under 4,000 miles!.

I still have over 5mm of tread on the front tire, so the Angel GT's have worn well, but they are a hard compound tire and I wonder if a softer compound tire like the Michelin PR3 would have been better?. Anyone out there with any experience running a MK1 with a Honda top box on PR3's that would like to share their experience?.

As I have a big touring trip ahead, with lots of twisty mountain roads, I am going to change the tires in a month or so to either the PR3's or the new PR4's. Has anyone got any experience changing from PR3's over to the new PR4's?. Also anyone that is running the new PR4's - did you fit the Standard or GT version of the tire to your Biffer?. :465:

For anyone with a Honda top box thinking of fitting Angel GT's - Just don't do it!. Its a lot of money for a good tire that you will never get the benefit of using to it's full mileage potential. Better to ditch the top box then spend the money!. :110:

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Re: Pirelli Angel GT Warning
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
My God!
Think how bad it may have been if you actually carried a pillion...
 :005:
Mike
 :212:

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2014, 05:16:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by 12peteruk [+]
...Issue is my bike has a Honda top box. Apparently that changes the weight distribution towards the rear of the bike. :006: May seem logical, but apparently it makes a big difference to how the front tire makes contact with the road!. The outcome is that my front tire has not worn evenly across its curved surface and it has developed a "ridge" just off-center on the right hand side of the tire.....

For anyone with a Honda top box thinking of fitting Angel GT's - Just don't do it!. Its a lot of money for a good tire that you will never get the benefit of using to it's full mileage potential. Better to ditch the top box then spend the money!. :110:
Why do you think the symptom is unique to Pirelli Angel GT front tyre+CBF1000+Honda Top Box?  :087:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline 12peteruk

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »
I am not sure it is down to the Pirelli GT's, that's why I wanted some input from users of the Michelin rubber. We are seeing a progression of tires made of different compounds coming out in the market, each one claiming more mileage than its predecessor. As compounds change and prices go up are we sure that its all good?!. :084:

Offline Rickr10

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 TA GT
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
You don't mention whether or not the top box is laden or not or whether you have tried putting a notch on the rear suspension.  When I first got my MK1 I road it with the 45lt box on and found it quite stable I did find that it suffered from the dreaded steering wobble as the bike slowed down.  since I have put Hagon progressive in the front I can now brake almost to a halt without holding the bars and all I get is a slight wobble at really low speeds.  I am expecting that to get better with a set Pilot Roads, its on 053 at the moment.

Offline 12peteruk

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
Top box is pretty full most of the time. Three kilos of weight I would guess. Rear shock is already set at one below the top of the available adjustment. I have played quite a lot with the rear shock settings and I found this setting to be the most comfortable for me based on a mix of riding.

I read a lot about the Hagon front springs and rear shock mods on the forum. I would certainly consider it in the future.

Offline Rickr10

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »
I'm no light weight but on the original rear shock I found the 4th notch OK, if you are into one below the top you are approaching the 195 kilos the bike is designed for or the shocker is in need of a rebuild.

Offline FrasMac

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA GT
  • City / Town: Stewarton
« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2014, 08:03:34 PM »
Well, it seems that there are a lot of different experiences with this bike. My Mk1 GT came with the OE Bridgestone BT17's and apart from me not really trusting them in the wet, coped brilliantly, overloaded with full luggage and a wife on a 2500+ mile European tour, eventually needing changed at 7000m.
I'm now up to nearly 5000 miles on BT023's, which I do trust in the wet, and they also have coped admirably with the TT last year, and a 500 mile run to Inverness and back just last weekend, again, loaded and pillioned. I never find the bike unstable. In fact, on a single track road, my wife and I hit a cattle grid while leaned over somewhat, and the rear bottomed out, but the bike never flinched from its line, most confidence inspiring. I have occassionally had a low speed wobble, but I reckon that's more down to me gripping the bars too tightly, a habit I have to overcome regularly, especially with precious pillion cargo.

Offline FrasMac

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA GT
  • City / Town: Stewarton
« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
Know what I'm thinking? The topbox is getting blamed for a flaw in your tyre. It would be worth a straw poll of opinion as to how different loads affect our bikes?

Offline Rickr10

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by FrasMac [+]
Know what I'm thinking? The topbox is getting blamed for a flaw in your tyre. It would be worth a straw poll of opinion as to how different loads affect our bikes?

I'm not convinced its the top box I have ridden several different bikes over the years with top boxes and never had a problem.  Sometimes at higher speeds a top box can cause the bike to feel like it is weaving slightly, add a passenger or remove it and it stops.