Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: tinny / tappet noise  (Read 6021 times)

Offline markandhiscbf

• Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: evesham
tinny / tappet noise
« on: 29 March, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »
hi everyone , for the last couple of weeks , when ive been out on the bike , I seem to have a tinny / tappet noise coming up from the engine{that's what it sound like to me} when I shut the throttle off to slow down , doesn't seem to matter which gear iam in , but it stops when I rev up , and when stationary the engine ticks over sweet as a nut ,any ideas anyone or is it just me lol.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Re: tinny / tappet noise
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2014, 08:37:25 PM »
Is it more noticeable on one side or the other?

Offline markandhiscbf

• Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: evesham
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »
the noise just seems to come up through the fairing , if I pull the clutch in while iam slowing down or accelerate it doesn't do it , just when I shut the throttle off.

Offline johnstg2

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000F-AB
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
Timing chain?
Boys never grow up - their toys just get more expensive.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnstg2 [+]
Timing chain?
I thought that too, but would expect it to be more noticeable on the RH side.
Mike

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
What year is the bike?

How many miles?
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline tiremike

• Bike: 2010 cbf1000&600
  • City / Town: Mundare
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »
Hey Mike,
I dropped my 2010 cbf1000 at the dealership in October of last year to fix what sounds like the same noise. They just pulled the engine this week to disassemble it and are no closer to finding the problem. The dealer reshimed the valves twice and replaced the timing chain tensioner to no avail. Then called me to say that they were giving up and that maybe Honda Canada could do something for me. The bike was still under warranty.
After several conversations with Customer Service the dealer was forced to continue working on the bike and now it is in pieces on a work bench. If they ever figure it out I will let you know.

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2014, 10:18:35 AM »
 Honda use what they call pair check valves to regulate air pressure inside the crank case , and open and  close as the need may be  and are a reed type valve , Honda in their infinite wisdom have for the past few years put a rubber seating underneath the valves to cushion them and stop reduce any noise, the rubber seating can some times wear away causing a very feint clicking noise in certain conditions , l have known  ones showing no wear to still make a feint noise , this noise is not detrimental in any way and is ussualy ignored by those that know what it is .For those that do not know where these valves are situated they are at the very top of the engine in what look like small boxes,
« Last Edit: 08 June, 2014, 10:27:06 AM by shumba »

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
Honda use what they call pair check valves to regulate air pressure inside the crank case , and open and  close as the need may be  and are a reed type valve.......
:435:  I guess that's a quote from somewhere else, but, for the CBF1000, the PAIR check valves have nothing to do with the crank case air pressure (the crankcase is the housing for the crankshaft located located below the cylinders) and the Reed valves are one-way (non-return) type, allowing flow of 'fresh air' into, but not gases/unburnt fuel out from, the exhaust port.
As per the Honda CBF1000 workshop manual....

SECONDARY AIR SUPPLY SYSTEM
The pulse secondary air supply system introduces filtered air into the exhaust gases in the exhaust port. Fresh air is drawn into the exhaust port by the function of the PAIR (Pulse Secondary Air Injection) control valve.
This charge of fresh air promotes burning of the unburned exhaust gases and changes a considerable amount of hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide into relatively harmless carbon dioxide and water vapor.
The reed valve prevents reverse air flow through the system.
The PAIR control valve is operated by the solenoid valve.
The solenoid valve is controlled by the PGM-FI unit, and the fresh air passage is opened/closed according the running condition.
No adjustments to the secondary air supply system should be made, although periodic inspection of the components is recommended.

:431:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #9 on: 08 June, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
What l was trying to say was that the pair valves are on occasions responsible for making a slight noise  and that is it and by the way
I AM SO SORRY.