Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brassed off and bored.  (Read 8262 times)

Offline johnstg2

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000F-AB
  • City / Town: Falkirk
Re: Brassed off and bored.
« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
Sorry, but I cannot understand this. You live in Leicestershire and you don't expect to ride again till April? Why not?

Just get on the bike and get out there. There isn't that much salt on the road and its easily washed off when you get home. As to cold and wet, well, that is what motorcycle clothing and good tyres stops.

Alan

Couldn't agree more! You must be 300 miles south of me, and I'm out on the bike virtually every day. So, the roads may be covered in salt, but I'd rather have a bike that was cosmetically rough after 5 or 6 years than one that was in pristine condition but I'd hardly had any pleasure from.

If you don't like the cold, that's fine by me, i can accept that, but don't lay the bike up in case it gets dirty.
Boys never grow up - their toys just get more expensive.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rickr10 [+]
When I used to commute and worked three shifts I rode 24/7 the only thing that kept me off the road was snow and ice anything else was acceptable.  Now I have retired and don't have to get wet and cold and more importantly a mucky bike I'm not as keep to get out and ride.  The funny thing is the gear I have now is a vast improvement over the gear I used to have. :001:

Agreed but i bet youre not bored and brassed off.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »
don't lay the bike up in case it gets dirty

No problem, mine was dirty when I put it away!  :008:

Offline Rickr10

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 TA GT
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
Agreed but i bet youre not bored and brassed off.

Alan

Slightly bored I have just finished Assassins Creed Black Flag on the old xbox and can't decide what to spend my time playing on these we and windy days. :015:

Offline Airgar

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: '08 Biffer, Blk
  • City / Town: Kingston, Ont.
« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
even though I live in Canada, its still tough. I can't be accused of being a wuss though as we've had freezing rain, major snow fall and subzero temps all in the last few weeks. I still hug my bike when I get out to the barn though. Makes me yearn for Spring.... I hate Winter :172:

Offline parkmoy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Silver 2011GT
  • City / Town: Hoveringham
« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »
I must admit I've become a fair weather rider. I don't NEED a bike, I'm retired so no commuting. I have a car to go shopping so my bike is only for pleasure.

Now I don't mind the cold too much but I get absolutely zero pleasure out of the wet. Visor keeps misting despite the pinlock, the outside gets smeared by road spray, water always finds some way in down my neck despite good gear and I feel thoroughly miserable. If it happens to me on a ride out so be it, I get on with it, but if it's chucking it down before I start or looks like it will - no way. Yes I'm a wuss but I ride for fun :002:
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
IN PRAISE OF FAIR WEATHER BIKERS:

When you get older (and it obviously happens at different ages for different people) then it's not as easy to stay warm. The bones, as time goes by are stiffer in the cold and wet, making it harder to mount and dismount. The failing eyesight is more affected by rain and darker days and some people just cannot see well enough to ride in the dark with headlights.

The joy of motorcycling never goes away but there is in winter a trade-off and the equation gets more loaded as time passes by. It is, unfortunately a fact of life. There are those who can happily ride all year round at an advanced age without too much trouble and that's fine, but there are those that reach a time when the pain and discomfort interferes too much with the pleasure.

So don't disparage fair weather bikers of a certain age. In all probability they've got many years of riding in all weathers behind them and often didn't even have a tin box to fall back on!

Offline bonoeuf

• CBF Legend
  • County Durham UK
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: CBF600
« Reply #17 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by parkmoy [+]
I must admit I've become a fair weather rider. I don't NEED a bike, I'm retired so no commuting. I have a car to go shopping so my bike is only for pleasure.

Now I don't mind the cold too much but I get absolutely zero pleasure out of the wet. Visor keeps misting despite the pinlock, the outside gets smeared by road spray, water always finds some way in down my neck despite good gear and I feel thoroughly miserable. If it happens to me on a ride out so be it, I get on with it, but if it's chucking it down before I start or looks like it will - no way. Yes I'm a wuss but I ride for fun :002:

I don't need a bike either, my bike is for pleasure. This time of year their are many good dry, sunny days. These days with heated clothing, gillets, gloves etc riding in cold weather is not a problem. I won't go out if the rain is hammering and the wind is blowing unless I have to on a tour or long trip. The day I set off with a friend I had not seen for a few years I rode over the moors in a snow flurry to drop down into the dale with sun and the ever changing light of winter. A good pub meal and the ride home was not to be missed. Winter is not all rain.
"My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh -- anything but work."
Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
Done more than my fair share of riding in all weathers when my only form of transport was two wheels.  As much as I love riding and hope to follow in Rev Kens shoes as regards longevity my desire to ride in a monsoon or when Jack Frost threatens is hopefully well past given the choice. 

I have little wish to replicate those dim and distant days when my hands were so cold I couldn't pick up a mug of lukewarm coffee without it feeling scalding hot;  the times when my knee joints would virtually lock with cold; the times when my chin and lips would get so cold you could stick a pin in them and I wouldn't have felt anything; having ones meat and two veg so cold you almost wondered where your middle stump had disappeared to when you wanted a pee, never mind having to find an unending supply of cardboard or newspapers to stuff down your front to help keep the cold out.  And if it happens to rain whilst it is also  :190: it just adds to the unpleasantness.  OK, so there is much better cold weather gear around these days than there was 30 to 40 years ago but I completed my apprenticeship with distinction.

The amount of molasses, rock-salt and imported Russian/Ukrainian urea local councils scatter on our roads really doesn't improve the look of ones bike after a winters worth of riding and the muck that is plastered on our roads seems to hang about for a long time (much longer than it use to) and gets into every conceivable nook and crannie on the bike  Even if you ride when it is dry in winter after a dose of road salting and washing is no magic bullet to removing the stuff and having a bike professionally treated to an annual coating of ACF50, whist providing a good level of protection, is no 100% guarantee.   

Naw, not for me if I can avoid it.  Much prefer c.10 degrees Celsius minimum or even better still 18/20 degrees plus (bring on the weather in Sydney :028: ).

Andy
 :149:

Offline Lew4406

• CBF Legend
  • Its all about the fun!!!
  • Bike: BMWF700GS
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #19 on: 05 January, 2014, 02:43:46 PM »
Well it's raining today the bike stayed in the garage however I did start her up after three months.......no problem at all  :046:

diverse-leafy