Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Relatively cheap Lithion Ion battery  (Read 10769 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Relatively cheap Lithion Ion battery
« Reply #20 on: 04 February, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
Was it not HP and Dell who had exploding/self igniting Li batteries in their lap tops a few years ago.  I got a free replacement Li battery for my HP and no issue with old one.

RogerG.  AGM batteries hold their charge for a very long time, as for Li i am not so sure as the Li battery in my lap tops always seemed to loose charge when not in use (and yes not in standby either).

Just booked this years Holiday to Madeira - flying with Thompson (good arrival and departure times to maximise lying in the sun time  :028: , well I mean you can't build sand castles on Madeira :110: ) on a 787 Dreamliner  :005: .  Do you think they will allow me to take a fire extinguisher, oxygen hood, burn bandages and a parachute on the plane with me  :156: .

Andy
 :149:

« Last Edit: 04 February, 2014, 02:15:59 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
Would the battery fires on the latest passenger aircraft be LI?

Ken, I think the batteries on the DC3 were lead acid accumulators  :164:

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Was it not HP and Dell who had exploding/self igniting Li batteries in their lap tops a few years ago.  I got a free replacement Li battery for my HP and no issue with old one.

RogerG.  AGM batteries hold their charge for a very long time, as for Li i am not so sure as the Li battery in my lap tops always seemed to loose charge when not in use (and yes not in standby either)....
Andy
This might interest you....

The Economist explains
Why lithium batteries keep catching fire
Jan 27th 2014, 23:50 by P.M.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/01/economist-explains-19
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #23 on: 04 February, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
This might interest you....

The Economist explains
Why lithium batteries keep catching fire
Jan 27th 2014, 23:50 by P.M.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/01/economist-explains-19

Thanks Richard, You were right it did tickle my curiosity.  Have to say though that I was starting to loose it by the time I was getting towards the end of paragraph three.  Apparently cooling a Li cell with water helps (CO2 would be useless although wet foam would be good) but I have never seen a fire hose on an aircraft  :012: .

Andy

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #24 on: 04 February, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »

Ken, I think the batteries on the DC3 were lead acid accumulators  :164:

Only the later versions - the ones I used to fly on were prepared by winding the propeller to 'charge' the elastic drive. :010:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline RogerG

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Dover
« Reply #25 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
Just an update to my original post....

I have a CB1300 as well as a CBF1000. Both Bikes have sat in an isolated garage unused since before Xmas. There is no power in the garage. Recently I tried to start the CB1300 – battery completely flat. I then tried the Biffer, when the Ignition was turned on, the Gammatronic voltage indicator said bucket loads of power – turned the key and the engine burst into life.
14 Months ago I fitted one of these to the Biffer – money well spent I reckon.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110948321324?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Every mistake begins with a choice

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2015, 12:13:49 PM »
I like the idea of the LIon batteries now they seem to have settled down a bit from the early ones.  Means I would have to buy another CTEX specifically for LIon batteries to go with it  :084: .

Andy

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #27 on: 20 February, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
I like the idea of the LIon batteries now they seem to have settled down a bit from the early ones.  Means I would have to buy another CTEX specifically for LIon batteries to go with it  :084: .

Andy

Why?
I understood from what Roger wrote that the Li-Po battery, as fitted to his CBF1000, had been unused and without a charger/maintainer connected for over 2 months and the engine started fine.
Also, according to this item listing for the same battery.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lithium-Ion-12V-Motorcycle-Battery-Race-Lightweight-High-Power-LIPO07C-YTX7A-BS-/221522837304
....."Easy charging with any standard 12V battery charger (NB should not be used with any charger which includes an anti-sulphation cycle)"

Other than that, I do like the concept, although the suggestion of the particular battery is puzzling to me, bearing in mind the ratings of the oem (e.g., Yuasa) CBF1000 battery of 8.6Ah and 190 CCA.
i.e.,
"- replaces YTX7A-BS
- greater cranking power 40CA+"
&
"-LIPO07C is to replace the YTX7A-BS which is a 6Ah lead acid unit
- The CCA rating of LIPO07C is 105 Amps"

:027:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
« Reply #28 on: 17 October, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by RogerG [+]
My Girlfriend brought me a new battery for Xmas for my CBF1000.....

An update from Roger...
*Originally Posted by RogerG [+]
Re: Lithium ion?
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 02:38:37 PM »

My Bike has been using a Lithium battery for the last 21 months. The bike is kept in an isolated garage and has never seen a charger despite being left for 2 months unused at a time. Since fitting the Lithium battery the Bike always ‘bursts’ into life which never happened even with a new, genuine stock battery – best £75 I have ever spent.
Hey Roger, I suppose we all end up paying, in one way or another, for what our partners get us?  :007:

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #29 on: 23 February, 2020, 07:14:55 PM »
It seems lithium ion batteries work better on bikes with no accessories, like mine. The thread is now 5 years old, has any CBF owners bought one of these batteries since and can recommend one to buy?

Pros: Performance, lighter weight, modern, very slow discharge when bike sat for long periods, higher cranking power.

Cons: Expensive, doesn’t like cold temperatures, can’t handle parasitic draw as well as lead acid batteries, probably have to buy a charger that’s compatible with lithium ion.

:177:
A day without learning is a day wasted