Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Relatively cheap Lithion Ion battery  (Read 10454 times)

Offline RogerG

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Dover
Relatively cheap Lithion Ion battery
« on: 03 January, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
My Girlfriend brought me a new battery for Xmas for my CBF1000.

The advert said it was compatible with my bike, but it also said ‘Replaces YTX7A-BS’ which is not the battery that the Bike uses.

I believe the Lead Acid YTX7A-BS battery is only 6amp/hours where my original was 8.6amp/hour.

When it arrived I measured across the battery terminal and got 13.2 volts which surprised me as I am used to more like 12.4v from a lead acid battery when it has been standing for a while.

I fitted it (without charging it), pressed the starter, and the Bike burst into life, and the engine span with more vigour that usual. One thing my bike has never liked is to be turned off after only a minute or two, so I did that, and no problem.

The Bikes original battery lasted two years and 13,000 miles. I replaced it is March 2012 as it started to get a bit ‘iffy’ when starting cold, and much worse when the engine was hot. The replacement then was a genuine ‘YUASA YTZ10S’ but the old problems started again recently after 21 months and 7,000 miles.

To be fair, the Bike is kept in an isolated lock-up garage, and in the Winter only used a couple of times a month, and then for only a 30-40 mile blast around, which is not a lot to recharge the battery.

I was concerned that the new Lithium Ion battery has a lower Amp/Hour rating, but after thinking about it, providing the battery can easily start the engine, and I know that the charging system covers the Bikes requirement and charges the battery at low revs, so hopefully it will not be a problem.

Prior to fitting the new Battery I took some measurements and got…

At idle with Dip beam on = 14.12v
At idle with Dip beam+Fan running = 14.12v
Raising the revs to 2,000 or more = 14.40v
Just after switching the engine off, battery equalled = 12.88v

The new battery was physically identical in size to the original, but really light in weight. It felt like someone had cut off the top of the battery, removed everything from the inside and refitted the top – it really was that light. I could easily pick it up just using my thumb and forefinger.

I used the Bike for the second time with the new battery, after it had been standing for a week – it started readily.

As I understand it, Lithium Ion batteries do not lose their charge when left unused for long periods of time, so hopefully are more suitable to my circumstances.

This particular battery was made by ‘Haijiu’ – I had never heard of them.
The packaging says…
65% lighter than lead acid
2000+ charging cycles.
It cost £75.99 + Carriage

More details at…
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110948321324?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Only time will tell if fitting a relatively cheap Lithium Ion battery proves to be a good idea.
Every mistake begins with a choice

Offline Westy

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona
  • City / Town: Wigan
Re: Relatively cheap Lithion Ion battery
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
I'll watch this thread eagerly. I also need a new battery. I keep persevering with the old one but I know it's only a matter of time.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
Very interesting and, as you say, time will tell.
There's a similar item, branded as 'JMT' being offered for sale, with more specifications given under 'Technical Details', here....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-BATTERY-707-00-36-YTX7A-FP-HJTX7A-FP-I/dp/B00CXOMRKW

(Last month, with my bike's 4 year old battery starting to show signs of age/under charge, as a precaution I bought a new Yuasa YTZ10S for £62 from a Honda dealer, but haven't fitted it yet.)
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Online alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
Can it be trickle charged with an optimate?
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
Can it be trickle charged with an optimate?

Probably should not be with those that have an automatic desulfation mode, but there's now an 'Optimate' specifically for LiFePO4 batteries.
OptiMate Lithium
http://www.accumate.co.uk/optimate%20lithium.htm
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline RogerG

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »
Just a quick update on the Lithium battery I got for Xmas – On arrival it was fitted to my Bike without being charged. I did a quick 30 mile ride on 26/12/13, and then the bike was not used for 7 days. When used for the second time the Bike started very easily, and again that was for only a short ride, but this time my heated grips were in use.

Due to the bad weather, the bike was not used again until today, some 16 days later. I have one of the LED voltage indicators on the Bike which from memory has a Red, 2xAmber, and 3 green LEDs.

Usually when the bike has stood for 1 or 2 days, at switch on, I get the Red and either 1 or 2 Amber LED alight. Today I was surprised as at switch on, they were all alight apart from the last one – never seen that before. The bike started easily, and all LEDs then lit as usual.

One thing my bike has never liked in the 3 years and 20,000 miles I have had it, is starting with a hot engine. Starting cold is usually ok (until the time to replace the battery comes), but never hot – today at the end of my ride I switched it off, waited 5 minutes, and it re-started easily. Before the starter motor always seemed to turn the engine over more slowly when the engine is hot, but not now.

As my garage is a remote lock-up without electricity I could never trickle charge the battery when the bike was unused. Based on the short time I have had the Lithium battery it certainly seems to holds it charge extremely well.

I must admit I am surprised that such a light in weight battery can spin a 1,000cc engine so easily.

Offline grgeorgiev

• Bike: CBF1000 red
  • City / Town: Congleton
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:19:32 AM »
Hi All,
Did anyone else tried those Li batteries?
I need to change my battery and I'm seriously thinking to buy one of those Li batteries. What I'm not sure of after reading  the description is what is the actual battery capacity.

RogerG, is your LED indicator suitable for use with a Li battery? As far as I know there is slight difference in the voltage between Li and lead-acid batteries.

Offline RogerG

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2014, 07:49:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by grgeorgiev [+]
Hi All,
Did anyone else tried those Li batteries?
I need to change my battery and I'm seriously thinking to buy one of those Li batteries. What I'm not sure of after reading  the description is what is the actual battery capacity.

RogerG, is your LED indicator suitable for use with a Li battery? As far as I know there is slight difference in the voltage between Li and lead-acid batteries.

My LED indicator just gives me an idea of the batteries voltage, whatever type of battery it is.
It seems that the 'at rest', or 'not used for a good while' voltage on the Lithium battery is around 1 volt higher that I usually have.
I would have preferred a Lithium battery that was the same 'Amp/Hour' as the stock battery, but I believe the one I have is only rated at 6 A/H, but then again its cheap, but it certainly is an improvement on what I had - bottom line... only time will tell.

There is an important difference between a batteries Amp/Hour rating and its 'Cold Cranking' rating - my guess is, if the battery can spin the engine without dropping its voltage to the rest of the bike it starts easier.

Offline grgeorgiev

• Bike: CBF1000 red
  • City / Town: Congleton
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2014, 08:35:01 AM »
Thanks RogerG.
It sounds like a good replacement. I'm. Going to go for it.
Another idea I have is to mount a smaller Li battery under the pillion seat in order to expand the battery capacity...but only if needed.

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »
Have one on my son's XV750 Cafe Racer. It stands around for months without being started and holds the charge quite well.Never had to recharge it yet. I am almost finsh restoration of a RD350LC, I will be using one for that asn well. There are extremely light, can be mounted in any position/angle and seems to hold charge quite well on machines that do not do a lot of running around.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

diverse-leafy