Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: givi luggage  (Read 1863 times)

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
Re: givi luggage
« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
A friend of mine rides a BMW k 1300  a few weeks ago it rolled off the side stand onto one of the panniers ,the result was over £200 of damage for what looked like a very minor repair. He was told that if it  haven't been repairable it would have been over £600, l have noticed that most hard panniers  have inner bags that are used so that you don't  have to remove the pannier ,Well that is what l do with my throw overs , so no diff on that one . The other thing is that some think they look good ,lf you are one of those bike posers that like to have a glance in the shop window as you go past ,well carry on ,but you wont be riding with me, Hard luggage also gives a false sense of security. They can be forced open in two seconds with a screw driver .and only make it appear there is something worth swiping inside . In all the years that  l have been using throw overs l have never had any thing touched ,Some one has said they are a hassle to get on and off ,l leave mine on for the duration of the trip, and  taken off when back home .My luggage is practical and well proven and that is what l will continue to use , l will be leave the hard luggage to the posers  and those that have a phobia and paranoia about having stuff pinched.

Offline benji boy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Newmarket
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
I take on board the comments from every body reading both sides of the debate I dont have the experience of luggage that you guys have. I did one trip round Scotland with oxford sports soft panniers and never thought of using an inner bag and leaving the panniers on the bike. Again lack of experience.
I have ordered a top box for now so I can put things in it on a day to day basis but as you say each to their own.
I am a bit of a neat freak with my bikes may be its a bit of ocd but I dont look in shop windows. Thats where this forum is great I can get lots of tips and ideas.
thanks chaps.

Offline Lew4406

• CBF Legend
  • Its all about the fun!!!
  • Bike: BMWF700GS
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2014, 06:32:17 PM »
 :405:

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #13 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:45:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by uncleboon [+]
I've had Givi topbox and panniers on my CBF for five years and done loads of trips with them. they look the business and do what they say on the tin. I've got the inner bags which enable you to just pick up and go without faffing about. I've tried throw over luggage and found that it took ages to get on and off the bike. I've got the bike up for sale at the moment and hoping to sell it next week. If it falls though I was thinking of selling the luggage separately. If you are interested PM me and I'll send pics.
Sent you an email yesterday.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #14 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
I've used both and prefer hard luggage.

A few years ago I had full hard luggage ( Givi 45L topa box and 21L panniers ) on my bike, and the wife had a Honda top box and Givi Soft Panniers. After LOTS of rain all my kit stayed dry, the wife's top box was dry but her panniers were dripping. Lucky we'd packed everything inside them in plastic bags. The rain covers for the panniers just filled with water and had no way of draining off.

Now, I still have a full set of hard luggage ( Honda 46L top box and 33L panniers ) and the wife still uses a Honda top box, but she's got rid of the panniers for a 40 litre waterproof roll bag that fits across her pillion seat. Having ridden to Italy last May / June all our kit stayed dry.

My luggage takes about 2 minutes to secure, the wife's about 4 minutes. Her top box clips on in no time, then I use two straps to secure the roll bag. No bungees or need to put straps under seats.

It took us a few years to get things right, but now we're sorted.  :028: