Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I can't believe I messed up fitting a new battery  (Read 5500 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: I can't believe I messed up fitting a new battery
« Reply #30 on: 30 November, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »
Chelseafan, don't remove the seat to replace the battery on the MKI.  One 5mm (I think) allen bolt and you will expose the battery.  We all speak the truth :028: .

AFAIK the battery IS under the seat on the MKII and you would have to remove the front seat and seat bracket to access/remove.

Andy
 :149:
« Last Edit: 30 November, 2013, 02:47:39 PM by Bifferman »

Offline elmandarino

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: St Neots, Cambs
« Reply #31 on: 17 August, 2015, 02:52:07 PM »
Hi guys,

I thought it would be worth reinstating this thread as I have just done the same thing and a number of Mk2s will soon need their battery replacing. It is so easy to do, if you do not take notice. The battery fits comfortably in either position so it is crucial you check the markings on the battery before fitting. I didn't but then I should not be allowed out on my own.

The information in this thread was invaluable so the cost to me, apart from the new battery (another story), was one fuse. Thank you all who contributed.

Offline paulca

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #32 on: 17 August, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
DC Electrics have a rule.

Black to black or you don't get your money back.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2015, 06:29:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by elmandarino [+]
Hi guys,

I thought it would be worth reinstating this thread as I have just done the same thing and a number of Mk2s will soon need their battery replacing. It is so easy to do, if you do not take notice. The battery fits comfortably in either position so it is crucial you check the markings on the battery before fitting. I didn't but then I should not be allowed out on my own.

The information in this thread was invaluable so the cost to me, apart from the new battery (another story), was one fuse. Thank you all who contributed.

Elmandarino my friend, you searched the older threads, hat off to you mate :020:

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #34 on: 17 August, 2015, 09:00:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Elmandarino my friend, you searched the older threads, hat off to you mate :020:

:435: :420: shame you couldn't fit it right first time :172:

:431: 

But what about next time :261:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline Possumbob

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 Mk1
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #35 on: 19 April, 2019, 03:22:56 AM »
OK so it's now an old thread but I know lots of people rely on forums and you never know when someone has been helped.  So a shout to thank the above.  Very similar case to OP - I was in a rush, surely it only goes in one way but nah... Zzk zzk.  It looked so right too in my slightly darkish garage. 

Thanks to the OP for making me feel like less of a unique idiot.

I have a mk1 in Australia - our only mark.  Exact same symptoms - fuel pump running then no dash lights no start.  Main 30amp (the larger size) fuse burnt through. No other damage.  Points to note - I didn't have to remove the starter relay (just behind the battery), instead went through seat assembly and removed that (including under seat support frame).  Could then open up the fuse slot under the cap and, with the right swear words, put in a new one. YMMV. 

Note that unless the PO has helpfully not replaced it after using it, there is a spare 30amp fuse under the relay. 

Thanks to the OP for asking and thanks to those who answered, and thanks to the forum for saving me a load of trouble.

And yes lesson learned.  if you haven't the time to do it properly you don't have the time to do it twice.

Possumbob

Online phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #36 on: 19 April, 2019, 08:53:41 PM »
Think we need a ‘Confessional Thread’.....I’ve got a few if anyone starts one! :028:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #37 on: 19 April, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
Starting with people resurecting 5½ year old threads.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.