Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I can't believe I messed up fitting a new battery  (Read 6278 times)

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
I can't believe I messed up fitting a new battery
« on: 25 November, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »
I decided to fit a new battery because I leave the bike outside and the Shorei seems to be very sensitive to temperatures below freezing. I had two years of having to crank it for about 15 minutes to get the battery warm enough to deliver enough voltage.

Unbelievably I managed intially to fit the new one the wrong way round thus reversing the polarity. I did not check before connecting because I thought wrongly that there was only one way that it would go in.

Anyway the upshot was that the fuel primer came on and would not go off and nothing else worked. Also the alarm stared to bleep continuously. I checked all the fuses I could see but could not workout how to access the main fuse that is beneath the battery cradle.

So I gave up and have arranged for the bike to be taken to my dealer and let the experts sort it out. Meanwhile I had to park it as far away from the house as possible, wrapped in dust sheet under the bike cover to muffle the alarm. Fortunately the alarm battery only lasted about 10 hours!

An expensive mistake and a warning that even battry replacement requires attention to detail!

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
Re: I can't believe I messed up fitting a new battery
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
Go on with you this has got to be a wind up . You would obviously  have taken the battery lead of if  the alarm was stuck on.Nice try.

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »
No wind up. The alarm continues even when the bike battery is disconnected becuase it has it own battery - otherwise it would be easy for a thief to silence the alarm.
I have no idea where the alarm battery is and so could not disconnect it - and that i how it should be otherwise no point in having an alarm.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chelseafan [+]
....Anyway the upshot was that the fuel primer came on and would not go off and nothing else worked. Also the alarm stared to bleep continuously. I checked all the fuses I could see but could not workout how to access the main fuse that is beneath the battery cradle.

So I gave up and have arranged for the bike to be taken to my dealer and let the experts sort it out. Meanwhile I had to park it as far away from the house as possible, wrapped in dust sheet under the bike cover to muffle the alarm. Fortunately the alarm battery only lasted about 10 hours!....

Presumably you reconnected (correctly) a battery and by 'nothing worked' does that include the instrument (panel/dashboard) lights?

For fuse loaction see this thread...
Fuse issues?
https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?topic=15073.0

Also, this may or may not be relevant to your case, but a previous solution.....
*Originally Posted by janper [+]
Re: Accidentally reversed battery polarity
Ah, great :) I checked all the fuses, except the 15A one hidden below the ABS fuses. :) Everything works now. Thanks for the help.
https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,5460.msg69727.html#msg69727
« Last Edit: 25 November, 2013, 01:34:46 PM by richardcbf »
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
Thats right - after I reconnected the right way there was no elictrical life beyond the alarm. Not even the hazard lights. The alarm was bleeping as opposed to shrieking because it had been disconnected from the main power source.

So I am fairly sure it is a fuse problem. I checked the bank of three fuses attached to the battery cradle and the six or so under the seat and replaced one but still no power. The handbook says the main fuse is reached behind the battery and after something is taken off. But I did not feel confident disassembling these parts. So now the bike is with the dealer and hopefully they will sort it out quickly.

Next time I need a battery I will get the professionals to fit it.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chelseafan [+]
Thats right - after I reconnected the right way there was no elictrical life beyond the alarm. Not even the hazard lights. The alarm was bleeping as opposed to shrieking because it had been disconnected from the main power source.

So I am fairly sure it is a fuse problem. I checked the bank of three fuses attached to the battery cradle and the six or so under the seat and replaced one but still no power. The handbook says the main fuse is reached behind the battery and after something is taken off.  But I did not feel confident disassembling these parts. So now the bike is with the dealer and hopefully they will sort it out quickly.

Next time I need a battery I will get the professionals to fit it.

Fingers crossed for you that it's only a fuse.  :155:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
That diagram is very helpful and is exactly the fuse I was trying to get at. Access is quite restricted and I could not get the cover off and was frighted to force it in case I broke something.

Offline johnstg2

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000F-AB
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: 25 November, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »
Great design, putting the fuse in there....  NOT!
Boys never grow up - their toys just get more expensive.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #8 on: 25 November, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Other than of course this is not a fuse that your would normally expect to have to replace.  The irony is that it is located next to the battery and it doesn't tell you what to do if it's not the fuse :012: .

I'm with RichardCBF on this.  The issue has cropped up a few times before although I have to say that after it happened the first time on here I had a good look at my battery to see if I could connect the terminals the wrong way round and I found it close to impossible (cables insufficient length) - so how did you manage it  :187: .

I can't quite remember but would I be right in thinking that these fuses are only available from Honda (probably at a price  :156: ) or is it just a bog standard 30 amp spade fuse.

Andy
 :149:

« Last Edit: 25 November, 2013, 04:43:00 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »
Like Bifferman I thought it was impossible to put the battery in the wrong way round and so it never occured to me that I could have done it. It happended because the battery is square in profile and the terminals can be connected on the top or the front. It is therefore quite easy to put the battery in laying it on its rear side rather than the base. The terminals are still presented at the top but now they are reversed with the negative on the left and the positive on the right.  To make matters worse the labels now appear on the top of the battery and are less obvious than on the front which would be the case with a correctly fitted battery.

Ironically I was replacing a Shorei which is a tall thin battery so there is no way you could make the same mistake with that one.

Hopefully my mistake will alert others who will not fall intot he same trap.