Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!  (Read 10669 times)

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Re: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!
« Reply #60 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
 :046: Top marks to Robo for almost producing a sine-wave from emoticons  :mfrlol:

Offline oomis

« Reply #61 on: 09 August, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »
Wanted to contribute to this thread, as my wife's bike (2008 Mk1) started showing the same symptoms on a road trip from Toronto, Canada to the Ozarks in Arkansas.  Not the best place to have problems on a motorcycle that's never been sold in the US.  Seriously, this bike is a rock star when we travel there, but they don't know anything about it and can't find their way around parts...

On the road we found two tricks that worked, sometimes, to restore the headlights when they went down, and they went down seemingly at random.  Sometimes when the bike was being first started up, they wouldn't come on, but sometimes after running fine for a bit the headlight would just cut out.  Since we had miles to make, we found solutions that worked while the wheels were turning and the bike was in motion.

The first solution I wouldn't recommend for a novice rider, and it led to a simpler solution anyway.  The only reason I include it is because sometimes #1 works when #2 didn't, and I don't know why.  It's a full rolling shutdown of the bike while its in motion.  Clutch in, ignition key off, kill switch off, bike still rolling (hey - we had places to go!).  Ignition key on, kill switch on, hit starter button, clutch out, person in lead verifies headlight is on, carry on.

We quickly deduced that it was the starter button that was the key to all this, and found that when we just hit the starter button while the bike was in motion, the headlights were sometimes restored.  Doing so doesn't harm the bike at all - when the motor is already running the starter motor spins, but doesn't actually engage. 

After a couple of days I was able to open up the switch, hit it with contact cleaner and some dielectric grease, but it didn't solve the problem. 

I now have a used right hand switchgear from eBay that I'm going to take apart as per the disassembly instructions before installing it.  I'll keep the forum posted.

On the road, the two solutions didn't work reliably.  Sometimes one would work right away, sometimes one solution would take a couple of tries, sometimes we'd have to try both things. 

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
« Reply #62 on: 09 August, 2016, 10:10:57 PM »
Good luck with the repair!  :041:

Offline georgem

• Bike: Honda CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Berlin
« Reply #63 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
Apologies for my sarcasm lol - didn't realise you'd experienced the 'stator thing' too but gld to hear you replaced it successfully  :028:
The headlights are fine since I fixed them, but I am experiencing the stator problem again...
Spritmonitor.de" border="0

Offline georgem

• Bike: Honda CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Berlin
« Reply #64 on: 20 August, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »
I replaced the stator and the rotor this year in june with a complet kit 06311-MFA-309 from here: https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/original-ersatzteile/honda-motorrad-teile?itemid=06311MFA309
and my problems are gone since them.
But the headlights problem happened again, I noticed today (after 3 weeks of vacation, without motorcycle) on my way from work to home. I suppose it's the same problem, I'll try to fix it in week-end, when I'll also probably mount some Daytona heated grips.
Spritmonitor.de" border="0

Recent Topics

diverse-leafy