Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!  (Read 13630 times)

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!
« Reply #50 on: 03 July, 2016, 03:09:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by georgem [+]
Thanks! I'll be careful next days to see that the soldering is ok and the headlights work. I pulled the wire after soldering it and it seemed well soldered, so I hope it will be fine.
Hail to solder  :152:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #51 on: 04 July, 2016, 01:55:53 AM »
This biking hobby teaches us a lot of new skills! I'm waiting for my stator to fail so I can have fun replacing that lol

Offline georgem

• Bike: Honda CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Berlin
« Reply #52 on: 04 July, 2016, 05:57:04 AM »
My stator failed last autumn and I replaced it myself with a new one. But that was not that fun, the weather was cold and I had to do it, because I needed to take the bike to a friend's garage next days. But after doing it, seeing that I have about 14V at the battery instead of 12V with the engine running was really  :062:
Spritmonitor.de" border="0

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #53 on: 04 July, 2016, 07:57:19 AM »
My stator failed last autumn and I replaced it myself with a new one. But that was not that fun, the weather was cold and I had to do it, because I needed to take the bike to a friend's garage next days. But after doing it, seeing that I have about 14V at the battery instead of 12V with the engine running was really  :062:

Well done George :028: (on both repairs) and  :405:

Andy
 :149:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #54 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:23:55 AM »
Apologies for my sarcasm lol - didn't realise you'd experienced the 'stator thing' too but gld to hear you replaced it successfully  :028:

Offline georgem

• Bike: Honda CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Berlin
« Reply #55 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
No worries. I have a lot of experience at fixing mechanical stuff, I also owned some older cars and I did a lot of repairs on them. The bike seems like a toy compared to them :)
Spritmonitor.de" border="0

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #56 on: 04 July, 2016, 10:03:10 AM »
 :062: I've got lots of practice and experience on electro-mechanical stuff (electronic & computer technician and bench repair) hence my lack of fear of such things like fitting heated grips and accessories to bikes - piece of cake lol.

I draw the line at anything inside engines though and the manual mentions special tools required for stator replacement such as 'rotor puller' but others tell me that's not needed...

By the way my fuel consumption over the last 6 weeks (since I've had the bike) is virtually identical to yours i.e. 45mpg over 1100 miles (in old money) of very mixed riding including motorways, towns and country lanes...

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #57 on: 04 July, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
:062: I've got lots of practice and experience on electro-mechanical stuff (electronic & computer technician and bench repair) hence my lack of fear of such things like fitting heated grips and accessories to bikes - piece of cake lol.

I draw the line at anything inside engines though and the manual mentions special tools required for stator replacement such as 'rotor puller' but others tell me that's not needed... No special tools required to replace the stator.  Flywheel is not removed.

By the way my fuel consumption over the last 6 weeks (since I've had the bike) is virtually identical to yours i.e. 45mpg over 1100 miles (in old money) of very mixed riding including motorways, towns and country lanes...  About the same average as you at 45mpg over 9 years.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #58 on: 04 July, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »
Cheers! Keeping a close eye on battery voltage and charging and suspect I may be approaching that sad scenario... Voltage at 4000 rpm plus not really increasing, sits at c.13.8V although coil resistances all within spec at 0.4 ohms. Battery is charging though but on my CBR the volts inrease to 15V at 4-5k rpm...

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #59 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
This biking hobby teaches us a lot of new skills! I'm waiting for my stator to fail so I can have fun replacing that lol

:104: :104: :104: :183: I need my living room light bulb changed. :183:

If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....