Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!  (Read 10659 times)

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
Re: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!
« Reply #20 on: 24 February, 2016, 09:58:05 PM »
Thanks Vodkashot and good luck with the repair. Are you replacing the switch as I did?

Offline vodkashot

• Bike: CBF1000 A7
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #21 on: 25 February, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
I will be attempting repair. If it does not go to plan then I will have to bleed money :232: & purchase new assembly.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #22 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by vodkashot [+]
I will be attempting repair. If it does not go to plan then I will have to bleed money :232: & purchase new assembly.

Vodkashot, before you go to a heap of trouble following FirebladerDK excellent DIY programme why not try flushing the switch with switch cleaning fluid (Maplins sell) and then give the innards a squirt of ACF50.  Leave it to dry off and see what happens.  Quite a few have suffered the same issue and have followed this route and whilst certainly not as permanent a repair as Firbladers it does seem to do the trick.  The difficulty you may have is getting the switch cleaning fluid into the switch at the right place but with an areosole can of the stuff I would have thought it is well worth a try first before you start pulling everything apart.

Andy
 :149:
« Last Edit: 25 February, 2016, 11:08:11 AM by Bifferman »

Offline vodkashot

« Reply #23 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
Thanks for suggestion Bifferman. I'll give your method a shot first and see what happens.  Less work well makes me better person (and I tend to swear less).

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #24 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
Thanks for suggestion Bifferman. I'll give your method a shot first and see what happens.  Less work well makes me better person (and I tend to swear less).

Quite a few members have done this and reported success.  Need to ask (I might have missed it) Has your light stopped because the switch has flooded or the contacts burned out.  OR, is it the starter that is not turning over ?

Offline vodkashot

« Reply #25 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
The problem is that light switches on for few seconds and then goes off and on again - difficult to predit when it will go down. Any bump on the road can switch it off. Light touch to the switch and it is on again (or off). This indicates to me that switch may be loose or copper connector is covered in gunk and needs cleaning. This is why i'm tempted to take it apart.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #26 on: 25 February, 2016, 12:40:32 PM »
The problem is that light switches on for few seconds and then goes off and on again - difficult to predit when it will go down. Any bump on the road can switch it off. Light touch to the switch and it is on again (or off). This indicates to me that switch may be loose or copper connector is covered in gunk and needs cleaning. This is why i'm tempted to take it apart.

Do try switch cleaning fluid first (do it several times).  AFAIK the permanent dip is not fed via a relay I gather because it is on all the time whereas the full beam light is through a relay.  Honda's beancounters saving buttons.  If the problem returns even after the switch contacts have been cleaned (either method) and you are 'forced' to let the moths out of your wallet and invest in a new switch I think that would be a good time to insert a relay into the dip beam system as Nieljohn suggests..
« Last Edit: 25 February, 2016, 12:42:17 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #27 on: 25 February, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »
I'm sure I've taken my switch apart (can't remember if it was preventative or because I suffered the failure) but it wasn't to difficult. Fiddly definitely, but I did it on the road with the whole assembly still attached to the bike with no problem.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline vodkashot

« Reply #28 on: 04 March, 2016, 10:53:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Do try switch cleaning fluid first (do it several times).  AFAIK the permanent dip is not fed via a relay I gather because it is on all the time whereas the full beam light is through a relay.  Honda's beancounters saving buttons.  If the problem returns even after the switch contacts have been cleaned (either method) and you are 'forced' to let the moths out of your wallet and invest in a new switch I think that would be a good time to insert a relay into the dip beam system as Nieljohn suggests..

Thanks! Getting some positive results with cleanin fluid. Thanks for the support. 

Offline FingersL

• Bike: CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: Centurion
« Reply #29 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I just encountered this problem last night, Headlights were on, started her up, and no headlights after. Thanks to this forum I found this thread, So I'll try the contact clean first and take it from there, as when I start her by applying a downward pressure on the starter switch, the headlights come back on after starting.

From reading this thread, and also from FireBladerDK's Guide (Thanks for the guide BTW), One difference I have noticed about the MK2 is that when pressing the pass button on the left, the high beam does not come on like the Mk1 does(If I understand correctly that the mk1 works like this)

Also, just a note, The Part Number in the guide for the replacement unit is 35130-MFA-D02 (Mk1), When I called the dealer spares and got the part number for mine the part number is 35130-MGJ-D02 (Mk2) at a cost of 1780ZAR (83GBP, 108EUR, using current rates). Did this to see what the worst case scenario would be next month :D

Anyways, Great info on these forums, Will post again If I don't come right.

Cheers

diverse-leafy