Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!  (Read 10664 times)

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!
« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Westy [+]
Fred..... Tried it. It's impossible. I rely on the reflection off vehicles in front. It's a HID so quite bright.
As well as my fear of the stator packing in, worries about wheel bearings giving up the ghost, I now have the worry of riding with no headlight. Just as well they're such fantastic bikes.......
I'm gonna invest in an old British bike. It's got to be more reliable.

Yeh, even better with a kick start and reserve tank (like my first Honda had) although you might need to carry a more comprehensive (than the basic Honda supplied) tool kit?

:156:   :008:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Yeh, even better with a kick start and reserve tank (like my first Honda had) although you might need to carry a more comprehensive (than the basic Honda supplied) tool kit?

:156:   :008:

You can blame the Yankeeees for the kickstart disappearing act.  Lazy are they and I don't know when it actually was but probably early 1970's the Yankeees introduced a law in the USofA outlawing kickstarts (they actually beat the beaurocraps in Brussels to this one) on bikes over 650cc and the bike manufacturers kowtowed to the almighty dollar.   This is why Kwak were able to retain their kickstart on their Bonnie lookalike the W650 but it has gone from the W800 :232: .
« Last Edit: 11 October, 2013, 04:40:57 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

You can blame the Yankeeees for the kickstart disappearing act.  Lazy are they and I don't know when it actually was but probably early 1970's the Yankeees introduced a law in the USofA outlawing kickstarts (they actually beat the beaurocraps in Brussels to this one) on bikes over 650cc.  This is why Kwak were able to retain their kickstart on their Bonnie lookalike the W650 but it has gone from the W800 :232: .
.and that's from the country where you'll see a lot of 'belt and braces' types.

Offline Westy

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »
Fred,  :431: I seem to have dragged this post  :455: somewhat.

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Westy [+]
Fred,  :431: I seem to have dragged this post  :455: somewhat.

No - westy - you and I have been on-topic discussing how to check starter switch failure while on the run. It's them guis andy-bif and ric who are blazing arround kickstarting other topics   :001:

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #15 on: 13 October, 2013, 09:53:59 PM »
Today I finished the DIY artice: http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/cbf1000electrical/handlebar_switch/hsr01.htm

As usual I welcome all comments, erratas and suggestions for the article in this thread.

:041:  ... Fred

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #16 on: 14 October, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
Looks pretty good there pal. I think there should be a quick diagnostic checklist to confirm it is that problem first though.
Step one, start engine
Step two check lights (dip beam on? Yes - No problem. No - Step three)
Step three engage high beam as if you're on a long dark road (ie not flashing) (high beam on? Yes - Check/replace dip bulb No - Step four)
Step four try to "flash" high beam (high beam? No - unlucky check/replace both bulbs Yes, dismantle/repair handlebar start switch)
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #17 on: 14 October, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
Nuff - thank you for input!  :152:

I have now included a checklist in the DIY article as you suggested.
This should make it very easy to diagnose the fault.

:041: ... Fred

Offline NeiljohnUK

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 F650GS
  • City / Town: Soton.
« Reply #18 on: 04 March, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
Hummm, where have I seen this before, I know on my Land-Rover, where a sliding contact bar moves across the studs and with use and load everything slowly degenerates until it gets high enough resistance either not to work of to melt and never work again.

The answer on the Landy is to fit load carrying relays, perhaps the low/dip beam load should be carried that way?

The switch gear is a modified version of my nipper Deauville's switch gear, where you have the option NOT to turn the lights on, something which I prefer when riding with the sun behind me, I see another potential mod here!
Formerly an EMT (1), now a Superintendent, not that makes any difference, still just as crazy...
I ride for pleasure, commute mostly by PTW, do most of my own spannering.
Started to do my IAM, having done the RoSPA version years ago, seems I'm not fast enough, unlike the Chief Observer I'm not prepared to do 50+ in a 40 limit, so I've given it up as a bad job, 'too slow to pass, too old to care'!

Offline vodkashot

• Bike: CBF1000 A7
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #19 on: 24 February, 2016, 12:43:20 PM »
@FireBladerDk . Thanks for the DYI article. I will try to get it fixed this weekend.