Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!  (Read 10668 times)

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!
« on: 06 October, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
The starter switch - which is part of the right handlebar switch unit - was faulty on my bike and intermittently  failed to reengage 12 Volt power to the headlights after starting the engine.

This is quite a dangerous failure, because you will often not notice the error and hence drive without headlights on!  :005:

The power to the pass switch on the left handlebar is routed via different circuitry, so it still worked correctly.

Pulling the starter switch button outwards could reengage 12 Volt to the headlights, so it was possible for me to continue using the bike until I could get a new switch unit from the Honda dealer.

The starter switch is unfortunately not exchangeable as a separate item - you have to replace the entire right handlebar switch unit, so the cost runs pretty high, considering it is such a simple fault. And it is not possible to get access to the inside of the starter switch, so you can not clean the contact surfaces.  :232:

I replaced the faulty switch unit with the new one and headlights are now OK again. I'm now writing a Do It Yourself article about this for www.fireblader.dk - it will be uploaded soon.
 :800:       
Link to the article (added october 13th): http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/cbf1000electrical/handlebar_switch/hsr01.htm

I would like to know how common this problem is - so how may of you dear members in this forum have experienced this failure?

:041:  ... Fred
« Last Edit: 13 October, 2013, 09:51:32 PM by FireBladerDk »

Offline Westy

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona
  • City / Town: Wigan
Re: Starter switch failure causes loss of head lights!
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
I've experienced it. Used to happen a lot after I'd cleaned the bike. I found a few earlier posts on here and found it a fairly common problem. I opened the right hand switch unit up and gave it a liberal squirt of electrical cleaner that I found in my shed. Not had a problem since. It's been good for a good 6 months so far, touch wood.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »
I do recall a few posts where peeps seem to have suffered this problem but I certainly would not say it was common at all.

Fred, you are a wizzo on matters mechanical so look forward to reading another of your technical DIY articles  :028: .  I would also be very interested to hear your view Westy being able to open up the switch and squirt switch cleaner.  It occurred to me that you probably can squirt switch cleaner behind the start switch which might be just enough to do the job.  Your old unit will be off soon so your view will be first hand.

Regards

Andy
 :149:

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »
I tried a couple of times to cure the problem with switch cleaner sprayed into the starter switch from the button side, but it did not help at all. When opening the switch unit, I discovered that the rear side of the starter switch was completely sealed with some black plastic like compound, sć no cleaner would be able to enter there. Hence a completely new swith unit was the only resonable solution I coud see.
« Last Edit: 06 October, 2013, 11:31:48 PM by FireBladerDk »

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »
I've commented many times on this as a problem for CBF1000 users. I've had mine apart a couple of times to clean out but never found anything untoward there.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2013, 07:49:39 AM »
Fred, given your thoroughness with explanations  you probably already have this covered but just in case not, would it be possible to include a pic of the inside of the switch and the problems you encountered which led to to seeking a replacement switch rather than attempting a repair.  We can then see what we are up against - a picture says a thousand words.

Thanks

Andy
 :149:

Offline Westy

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »
Never taken mine apart. Partly cos I'm lazy, partly cos I was scared of bits flying everywhere if I did take it apart but mainly cos I haven't had a problem since liberally applying electrical cleaner.
I've said it now so I expect my dip beam will never work again.

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I have now given the old faulty switch unit an overhaul - dismantled the starter switch, cleaned the contact surfaces and assembled it again.
Quite a difficult job with small items wanting to jump around in the world easily getting lost out there. Not an easy task - and I was even sitting comfortably at the table in my living room with the switch unit completely removed from the bike.
Had it been with the unit hanging in the cables on the steering bar, it would have been even more difficult.

The starter switch now works perfectly when measuring with an ohmmeter, but wether it will work reliably in real use and for how long is impossible to say.

Andy - I'm including pictures and descriptions of how to do this in the DIY article, so readers can choose for themselves how they want to proceed.

Westy - you  will now get extra gymnastic exercises each time you go for a ride - standing up leaning out over the headlights to check correct dip light  :001:

:041: ... Fred

Offline Westy

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »
Fred..... Tried it. It's impossible. I rely on the reflection off vehicles in front. It's a HID so quite bright.
As well as my fear of the stator packing in, worries about wheel bearings giving up the ghost, I now have the worry of riding with no headlight. Just as well they're such fantastic bikes.......
I'm gonna invest in an old British bike. It's got to be more reliable.

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
Westy - I'm fortunately tall enough to stand up and lean forward to see the headlights.

You must be very short if you can't do that  :150:  :mfrlol:     .... sorry I got carried away   :034:

Recent Topics