Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear change problem  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Shefboy

Gear change problem
« on: 02 August, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »
My CBF1000A mark 1 has developed a problem with the gear change. It runs out of gears prematurely when changing up or down. So for example when changing down when coming to a halt it the gear lever goes down without meeting resistance or changing to first. It then means I have to do a second gear start slipping the clutch. Similarly when accelerating it will do the same refusing to go into 5th or 6th. It does go into 1st or 5th or 6th on occasion, its just unreliable. Subjectively, the gear change feels stiff and dead - not clicking positively into gear. The problem started after I'd given the bike a good wash including the gear change linkage. Is it possible I inadvertently changed the adjustment? Or do I have a more deep seated problem?

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Gear change problem
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
Simple checks to begin with:

1.  Check the adjusters on the link rods have not come loose (you have already eluded to this) but I recon unlikely. 

2.  Lubricate all the gear change linkage - remove the pivots that are bolted on, clean and lube with grease.  Use some liquid grease (Halfords) on the joints hidden by the grease boots - push the grease can straw carefully between the boot and the joint and make sure the straw is inserted properly and give a couple of good squirts. 

3.  Check the gear change rod where it goes into the chain case, waggle up and down and side to side - there should be only a very small amount of play, if a lot i.e more than say 1/16 inch the gear change shaft/needle rollers may be worn, not really a drama and in the meantime spray some liquid grease between the dust seal and the shaft.   There were quite a lot of early MK1's (2006 to 2008) that appeared to have the wrong size needle roller bearing for the gear change shaft, no idea why but many peeps had work done under warranty for this - also water got behind the dust seal and washed out the grease on the needle roller bearing and some had a load of rust behind the casing and some reported making the gear change very stiff as a result.

4.  Occasionally I can not engage 1st from 2nd if the bike is stationary.  If this is your problem then gently let the clutch out until it starts to bite, pull back in and try again, has always worked.  Again no drama, I guess it has something to do with the position of the gear selector in relation to the position of the gears.

I would do the basics first before thinking you have a gear selector problem.  See how it goes especially the lubing of all joints, it never seems to be done at the dealers as part of the service routine.     

Andy
 :149:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
 :0461: Almost 100% that your troubles are lack of lubrication of the linkages - as you say you (stupidly) washed your bike! :164:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Tippy

• CBF Master
  • Born to fall over
  • Bike: CBF1000FAA
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2013, 04:59:16 AM »
I knew there was a reason not to wash my bike.

Offline Shefboy

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »
Thanks this is really helpful advice. I now know what I'm this Saturday morning!

*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Simple checks to begin with:

1.  Check the adjusters on the link rods have not come loose (you have already eluded to this) but I recon unlikely. 

2.  Lubricate all the gear change linkage - remove the pivots that are bolted on, clean and lube with grease.  Use some liquid grease (Halfords) on the joints hidden by the grease boots - push the grease can straw carefully between the boot and the joint and make sure the straw is inserted properly and give a couple of good squirts. 

3.  Check the gear change rod where it goes into the chain case, waggle up and down and side to side - there should be only a very small amount of play, if a lot i.e more than say 1/16 inch the gear change shaft/needle rollers may be worn, not really a drama and in the meantime spray some liquid grease between the dust seal and the shaft.   There were quite a lot of early MK1's (2006 to 2008) that appeared to have the wrong size needle roller bearing for the gear change shaft, no idea why but many peeps had work done under warranty for this - also water got behind the dust seal and washed out the grease on the needle roller bearing and some had a load of rust behind the casing and some reported making the gear change very stiff as a result.

4.  Occasionally I can not engage 1st from 2nd if the bike is stationary.  If this is your problem then gently let the clutch out until it starts to bite, pull back in and try again, has always worked.  Again no drama, I guess it has something to do with the position of the gear selector in relation to the position of the gears.

I would do the basics first before thinking you have a gear selector problem.  See how it goes especially the lubing of all joints, it never seems to be done at the dealers as part of the service routine.     

Andy
 :149:

Offline Wilsey

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A6
  • City / Town: Bungay
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »
I have had the same issue its the gear lever itself un bolt no need to take links off it clean all the bush out regrease and it will be like new.

Wilsey
Think bike ! I always do !