Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spare key programming cable  (Read 3014 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline richardcbf

  • CBF God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4063
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
  • Country: England
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Andy, programming of a new key is only necessary if the new key has a new (unprogrammed for your bike) transponder chip.
The alternative (as previously discussed on this forum) is to transfer the transponder chip to a new key, which is what I've done successfully.*
A new (uncut) key with transponder chip cavity is available for £3.99 (inc. postage)... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181096483918 ... which you can get cut to match one of your other (good condition) keys for a few quid.

*That reminds me.... from advice on here, I bought another key from the same seller (as eBay item above) to keep with me as a spare (without transponder chip) just in case the one in use breaks while out and about.  In that eventuality the broken key (with programmed transponder chip) only needs to be 'close' to the ignition lock area such that it will be 'seen' by the HISS.
.....I need to go and get that spare key cut!

Just been to my local Timpson to get my other key cut and was dealt with by the same guy as last time and before he started I explained that today it's a 'just in case spare' and mentioned the £2 deal (the small till receipt being on display in the bag with my 'master' key) that he'd done last year.
I know it's a quick job, but this time he wouldn't take ANY money! I said I really don't mind paying but he just smiled and waved me off, so I hope he hadn't misunderstood something from my general moan about Honda keys and locks!
As I walked out (feeling a bit guilty) I said that I'd already recommended Timpson and would of course continue to do so. :-)
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline cbrog

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 199
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
  • Country: UK
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #21 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »
I would like to take part in this "good idea" as Honda dealers are quoting £90 for new key and programming
is there a list / queue for it yet please ?  :183:

Offline Biker Mike

  • CBF God
  • *****
  • Posts: 6155
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
  • Country: UK
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #22 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
I've now received my key blank sans transponder, so just need to get it cut now.
It occurred to me that maybe using the new key wasn't such a bad idea, particularly if I carry the original about my person. That way, the bike will be immobilised if I walk away from it and happen to leave the key in the ignition (which I've done before now). Just wondering how close the transponder needs to be to the ignition for the HISS to work?
 :084:
Mike

Offline AndyM

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 126
  • Bike: CBF1000 A
  • City / Town: Stafford
  • Country: England
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #23 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by cbrog [+]
I would like to take part in this "good idea" as Honda dealers are quoting £90 for new key and programming
is there a list / queue for it yet please ?  :183:

The cable is currently in the hands of Wilsey, he is waiting on his blank key to arrive,
It should be free as soon as he gets it cut,as the programming only takes 10 mins max.

People who have expressed an interest are in this order.
Nuff
Alan sh
And then yourself.
There is no priority, whoever needs it next can have it, I will message everyone when it's free and see who is more ready to use it.
You could always order your spares and get them cut ready, then it's just a matter if waiting for the cable.

Offline AndyM

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 126
  • Bike: CBF1000 A
  • City / Town: Stafford
  • Country: England
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #24 on: 27 June, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
I've now received my key blank sans transponder, so just need to get it cut now.
It occurred to me that maybe using the new key wasn't such a bad idea, particularly if I carry the original about my person. That way, the bike will be immobilised if I walk away from it and happen to leave the key in the ignition (which I've done before now). Just wondering how close the transponder needs to be to the ignition for the HISS to work?
 :084:
Mike


Mike
I tested this theory before I made the cable up,as I had the keys cut.
 I couldn't get the blank keys to work no matter how close I got the original key to the blank.
I just presumed that it didn't work for me as I had keys with un programmed chips  in them and that you should use just blank keys without transponder chips  :087:

Andy

This is not the best answer lol,I'm sure anyone who a broken key and uses this method could confirm how close the transponder has to be.
« Last Edit: 27 June, 2013, 12:16:14 PM by AndyM »

Offline Nuff

  • CBF God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4470
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #25 on: 27 June, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
I'm in no rush. Need to get a few other things sorted out before the key becomes a priority.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline cbrog

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 199
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
  • Country: UK
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #26 on: 27 June, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by AndyM [+]
The cable is currently in the hands of Wilsey, he is waiting on his blank key to arrive,
It should be free as soon as he gets it cut,as the programming only takes 10 mins max.

People who have expressed an interest are in this order.
Nuff
Alan sh
And then yourself.
There is no priority, whoever needs it next can have it, I will message everyone when it's free and see who is more ready to use it.
You could always order your spares and get them cut ready, then it's just a matter if waiting for the cable.
key blank on order , just need to get it cut , should have  that done by the end of next week  :028:

Offline alan sh

  • Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4950
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
  • Country: UK
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #27 on: 27 June, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
I'm in no rush either. I need to get backfrom hols (on the boat as I type),then get the keys ordered and delivered.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Wilsey

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 569
  • Bike: CBF1000 A6
  • City / Town: Bungay
  • Country: UK
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #28 on: 29 June, 2013, 12:02:41 PM »
Hi Guys thanks to AndyM I now have a fully working spare key. It was very simple to do with AndyM instructions took 5 mins. Local key cutting place copied the key for me but said it may not work. With a bit of filing here and there works fine.

So ready to send back to AndyM or to next person?

Thanks

Wilsey
Think bike ! I always do !

Offline AndyM

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 126
  • Bike: CBF1000 A
  • City / Town: Stafford
  • Country: England
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #29 on: 29 June, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by cbrog [+]
key blank on order , just need to get it cut , should have  that done by the end of next week  :028:

I've asked Wilsey,our first happy customer, to send it back to me,I will do it this way,so I can check that the next user gets everything they need,will post a message when I have it and will then get it posted out to you,as Nuff and Alan are not in any rush.

 


diverse-leafy