Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spare key programming cable  (Read 3174 times)

Offline AndyM

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 A
  • City / Town: Stafford
Spare key programming cable
« on: 20 June, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »
Since programming two spare keys for my biffer, I now have a key programming cable complete with full instructions on doing this job yourself.

In all reality I should never need this cable again, so I am now going to offer it to any member who needs or fancies having a spare key, to do this yourself costs roughly £15 per key.

So the idea is a free loaning service to anyone who needs it, if we can keep tabs on who has got it, then it can be passed on to the next person.
If anybody needs it then reply to this post and then we can go to pm with postage details .
If this is not agreeable to the site then I will remove the post.

Good idea or not ?
Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Re: Spare key programming cable
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2013, 08:06:52 AM »
I reckon it's a good idea. I'll take you up on it when I get the bike sorted (and source a blank with chip)
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline AndyM

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2013, 08:22:44 AM »
Search honda hiss key on eBay,they are £10.50 chipped
« Last Edit: 20 June, 2013, 08:24:46 AM by AndyM »

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by AndyM [+]
Since programming two spare keys for my biffer, I now have a key programming cable complete with full instructions on doing this job yourself.

In all reality I should never need this cable again, so I am now going to offer it to any member who needs or fancies having a spare key, to do this yourself costs roughly £15 per key.

So the idea is a free loaning service to anyone who needs it, if we can keep tabs on who has got it, then it can be passed on to the next person.
If anybody needs it then reply to this post and then we can go to pm with postage details .
If this is not agreeable to the site then I will remove the post.

Good idea or not ?
Any thoughts on this appreciated.

A fine idea AndyM.   One of my keys has twisted in the weak centre spot and I will need to recode a new key at sometime and no doubt so will others.

In order not to loose track of the cable we need to see if Mr Admin can arrange a 'sticky' so that the thread remains at the top of the relevant section.  I don't know if stickies can remain open to new posts which would make life a lot easier to keep track of where the cable is (who has) at any one time.

The problem with the Honda keys is that the pillion lock and fuel tank use only 1/2 the key and with the passage of time (or, I suppose, heavy handedness) the key twists around the centre position eventually leading to metal fatigue and the key initially twisting and ultimately breaking off in the lock - not a good thing to happen.  Some have written on here that they have twisted the key straight again but this only serves to exacerbate the metal fatigue and cause the key to break even quicker.  To make matters worse, 1/2 way up the key is often where there are indents in the key making it even weaker, not exactly the worlds best bit of engineering :110: .  There appears to be no way around this other than treat the keys with greater care than usual when unlocking either the petrol cap or pillion seat.

Andy, with the kind donation of a MK1 stator plate to the forum (when it arrives from MadDogMcQ) I am about to set up something similar if a 'non upgraded' MK1 Biffer owner wants to go touring in foreign parts, particularly in countries where obtaining a replacement part quickly is dubious, and they want some peace of mind in case of failure.   Available on a loan basis; use it you replace it; Last person holds for next person and pays cost of forwarding sort of thing etc.  We will need some set of simple rules to make it work but perhaps less so in your case.  When the stator arrives from Tom I will PM you and we could see if we could arrange something similar for both items and also try and get the Admin on board as well.

Andy

:149:

« Last Edit: 20 June, 2013, 10:24:26 AM by Bifferman »

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

A fine idea AndyM.   One of my keys has twisted in the weak centre spot and I will need to recode a new key at sometime and no doubt so will others.

In order not to loose track of the cable we need to see if Mr Admin can arrange a 'sticky' so that the thread remains at the top of the relevant section.  I don't know if stickies can remain open to new posts which would make life a lot easier to keep track of where the cable is (who has) at any one time.

The problem with the Honda keys is that the pillion lock and fuel tank use only 1/2 the key and with the passage of time (or, I suppose, heavy handedness) the key twists around the centre position eventually leading to metal fatigue and the key initially twisting and ultimately breaking off in the lock - not a good thing to happen.  Some have written on here that they have twisted the key straight again but this only serves to exacerbate the metal fatigue and cause the key to break even quicker.  To make matters worse, 1/2 way up the key is often where there are indents in the key making it even weaker, not exactly the worlds best bit of engineering :110: .  There appears to be no way around this other than treat the keys with greater care than usual when unlocking either the petrol cap or pillion seat......

Andy, programming of a new key is only necessary if the new key has a new (unprogrammed for your bike) transponder chip.
The alternative (as previously discussed on this forum) is to transfer the transponder chip to a new key, which is what I've done successfully.*
A new (uncut) key with transponder chip cavity is available for £3.99 (inc. postage)... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181096483918 ... which you can get cut to match one of your other (good condition) keys for a few quid.

*That reminds me.... from advice on here, I bought another key from the same seller (as eBay item above) to keep with me as a spare (without transponder chip) just in case the one in use breaks while out and about.  In that eventuality the broken key (with programmed transponder chip) only needs to be 'close' to the ignition lock area such that it will be 'seen' by the HISS.
.....I need to go and get that spare key cut!
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Andy, programming of a new key is only necessary if the new key has a new (unprogrammed for your bike) transponder chip.
The alternative (as previously discussed on this forum) is to transfer the transponder chip to a new key, which is what I've done successfully.*
A new (uncut) key with transponder chip cavity is available for £3.99 (inc. postage)... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181096483918 ... which you can get cut to match one of your other (good condition) keys for a few quid.

*That reminds me.... from advice on here, I bought another key from the same seller (as eBay item above) to keep with me as a spare (without transponder chip) just in case the one in use breaks while out and about.  In that eventuality the broken key (with programmed transponder chip) only needs to be 'close' to the ignition lock area such that it will be 'seen' by the HISS.
.....I need to go and get that spare key cut!

Hi Richard

I appreciate the alternatives but good to mention them again.  I was actually trying to give AndyM some support to get a good idea off the ground.  We had discussed something like this for a stator plate in the past but the idea went cold and now, just like an omnibus, after a long wait two have come along at exactly the same time  :028: .

Andy

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

Hi Richard

I appreciate the alternatives but good to mention them again.  I was actually trying to give AndyM some support to get a good idea off the ground.  We had discussed something like this for a stator plate in the past but the idea went cold and now, just like an omnibus, after a long wait two have come along at exactly the same time  :028: .

Andy

Yes, what I said wasn't meant to do down the good idea for a loan tool.  :028:
I realised that AndyM needed to get programming done, hence the cable, because he'd had to get a new chipped key, having only one supplied with his bike.
(It just seemed that you might have forgotten the, possibly more simple/lower cost, alternative for key replacement when getting one with unprogrammed transponder chip is not essential.)

Maybe Mr Admin would allow an 'advert' (pinned near the top) in the For Sale section to cover 'loan' items available to Forum members?
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline AndyM

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »
 :0461:

you can certainly transfer the transponder chip at a much lower cost, if you just need to replace a damaged key.

but for those like myself who need the security of more than one key, just inbox me.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
I've got the correct tap for re-tapping the engine mount if you are unfortunate enough to have a crash bung shear off and need to drill it out. It is an odd size and can cost a lot - but I would be more than happy for it to be available to anybody in need!
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
I've got the correct tap for re-tapping the engine mount if you are unfortunate enough to have a crash bung shear off and need to drill it out. It is an odd size and can cost a lot - but I would be more than happy for it to be available to anybody in need!

When are you off to parts foreign Ken, or did I blink and you have already gone and returned to the bosom of your family ?

Andy