Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Hugger  (Read 4904 times)

Offline 1madboiler

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sunderland
Rear Hugger
« on: 13 May, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
recently bought a 2008 biffer and I am wondering what is the most effective rear hugger? I know that most will have been tried and that some will be ....er...useless so I am trying to save myself a bit of agro by buying one that doea work.  Thanks fellas

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Re: Rear Hugger
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
Honda OEM works after a fashion. For my money it's too short, ending well before the axle, resulting in spray coming off the tyre with a forward component, which hits the undertray and comes back down onto the top of the hugger and the shock. I'd not recommend it, but as it's already fitted, it'll stay on (and I'll not try others).
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline coldrider

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bradford,Ontario
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
The consensus on here seems to be that the Skidmarx and Ermax huggers are the most favoured.  I recently installed a Skidmarx hugger in black (on a black 08 Mk1), which costs less than the Ermax though not cheap.  The fit was perfect and the installation very straightforward - a quality piece of kit.  Except one of the mounting bolts in my kit was the wrong size, an M6 instead of an M5. Though hardly an insurmountable obstacle I did have to go out hunting for a new M5X20 button head bolt for a proper fit.  The Ermax huggers can be custom colour matched to your model if that's important.

http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/184-rear-huggers

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/000903/007066/Ermax-Rear-Hugger-suitable-for-Honda-CBF1000-ABS-2008?mn=7&pt=155
« Last Edit: 13 May, 2013, 04:55:52 PM by coldrider »

Offline r32

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
For my money for a MK1 the Honda one is the best. It fits well and is nicely made.
For a MK2 I like the Ermax one.

Please dont shoot me it's only my opinion.

Offline BORN AGAIN BIKER

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Silver MK1 GT
  • City / Town: WINDSOR
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:29:07 PM »
I have a Powerbronze on my MK1. I had a few issues initially as it was fowling the coolant reservoir https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,13595.msg168024.html#msg168024
I cut 25mm off the front inside edge and now very happy with it. If Powerbronze have adopted the modification then in my opinion its good value for money and does a fair job.

Offline nothingfaced

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
I would offer that you avoid the Pyramid Plastics hugger for the Mk1. I bought one and it was a bitch to fit; involved too much drilling for my liking.

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »
I have Ermax on a Mark 1 - easy to fit and still looks good after 5 years.

Offline tigertail

• CBF Master
  • Bike: NC750X
  • City / Town: North Walsham
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:10:19 PM »
Sorry R32 but I'm with Nuff on this.  The Honda hugger is totally pants in anything worse than "slightly moist" weather.  Last time I got caught out in heavy rain with the missus on pillion and her feet/lower legs got soaked.  Even if the road surface is only damp the dirty road water is flung up over the top of the hugger and in wetter weather the chain gets jet washed with gritty water. 

None of the available huggers are particularly practical in my opinion, (I'm gonna get slated for saying that!) but the Honda one seems worse than most.   None of the huggers I've looked at offer any protection for deflecting water from the chain (like the original chainguard does) and most offer no protection from stone chips hitting the inside of the swingarm (directly in front of the tyre).

The ones to go for if you are looking for practicality are the ones which are high enough to cover the apex of the tyre and have a piece that goes between the front of the tyre and the swingarm.  If you just want one that looks nice in the sun then go for the Honda OEM!!!!

While I'm on the subject I must have a rant about the sellers on Ebay that use "generic" images in their adverts (not just for huggers).  Yes I know its a chore to put the correct picture with each different model but its a real pain in the 'arris when trying to compare a picture of a hugger fitted to a Goldwing and one fitted to a Kawazuki 400.   :232: After all when buying on the internet you only have the picture to go by, its not like buying from a shop when you can see one on the shelf.

Rant over (and breathe......) :mfrlol:

TT.
Biffa now traded for NC750X
The only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask.

Offline robjo2112

• Ride safe. Ride like the wind!
  • Bike: CBF1000 09
  • City / Town: Stokesley
« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2018, 10:10:23 PM »
Hi guys and gals. Coming back to this forum and having just bought the Ermax hugger colour coded to my new Biffer Mk1, 09 plate, my question is simple. How do you fit the thing? Do the exhaust cans have to come off to get to the bolts, plus the side thing where the back rest fits? It seems it from my few minutes of looking earlier. I had to give up in the 30 degree heat. Ridiculous weather! A step by step guide would help me.
Rob.
Remember, life is meant to be fun!

Offline stergios

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF 1000 mk I
  • City / Town: Thessaloniki
« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2018, 05:34:29 AM »
nothing has to come off. just lif the bike on the double stand.

if you want more working space just remove the rear wheel. but you  dont need to.