Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Member  (Read 1293 times)

Offline 1madboiler

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sunderland
« on: 11 April, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
Hi everyone, Just registered and having a good look around before moving up to a CBF, I currently have an old Deauville 650, 105,000miles and counting, its a real 10 pint bike...looks great from about 15ft away but as you move in for the kill you get to see the true extent of all of those miles, I have my eye on a black gt on a 10 plate with high miles ...57k but a full and complete honda service history. I have a friend with a 06 CBF that he has recently bought and he loves it. I hadnt considered the CBF I was looking at a VFR 800 but a bad back and being a yorkshireman..(having to take off radiators to do a service and the VTEC gubbins etc...) I think the biffer is for me.
I have been biking now for 2 years after a lay off of 25yrs and I love the old deauville but its not really scratching the itch anymore. It was more of an experiment initially on whether I could do my job with a bike and whether my clients could accept seeing me in black leather...I think the leather looked better on the cow but thats another story... Any advice on what I need to look for when buying would be greatly received. Thanks

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
Just try one! Coming from two DVs and with a back that has suffered from lifting the back end of an Austin A30 off a scooter rider many years ago, plus too long playing hooker, I added bar risers to get my 'perfect' riding position. Then I spent some time - and money - getting the right screen set-up for me and I can't wait to get out again on it after so few rides this year due to commitments and weather.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
The CBF is pretty bullet-proof - but at that sort of mileage  (57K) I would say check thoroughly Wheel, swing arm and headstock bearings, rear Shock / spring and possibly fork springs as well.   Oh and give the exposed bits of the chrome part of the fork legs a good check for pitting caused by stone chips.   Discs will probably have been replaced but worth checking for cracks and thickness.   And at that mileage suspect its on the third set of chains and sprockets but worth a good look as well.    Also; hopefully it might be on the replacement modded stator but if not suspect you have a good one anyway (though the Honda extra 7-year warranty on the stator will see you OK if you do have an issue).   The engine, providing it has had regular oil changes and the valves checked etc should be fine but I would listen carefully for camchain rattles - though its not a known problem. At that mileage suspect it should be about £3K ish tops - we seem scared of high mileage bikes but that is because most riders do ridiculously low annual mileages (about 2 K is the mean) though the bikes are precision engineered and capable of much much more.  Personally I would prefer a high miler that has regular TLC compared to a garage Queen.

Enjoy

Steve
« Last Edit: 11 April, 2013, 10:52:22 AM by golfsharpy12 »

Offline plaza8204

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Penketh
« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
hi 1madboiler  :401:  have you looked at the for sale section on the site?  good luck with your search
i`m wide awake

Offline Lew4406

• CBF Legend
  • Its all about the fun!!!
  • Bike: BMWF700GS
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
 :405: only recently got the Cbf myself only hung I would say is that there are a lot around with owner mileage. Have a look all aver the uk I got mine delivered from oxford. Just an idea.
Nice part of the world Sunderland I do the north run every year and end up in south shieldS.....love it

Offline Rustyrig

• CBF Legend
  • Ride and smile
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
1madboiler Hi a yorkshireman in Sunderland what went wrong ......  :mfrlol:

Totally unbias on here so you'll get a good cross section of views  :164:

Great bike just try one

Barry

Offline 1madboiler

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
Married a mackam :138:
I'm originally from Leeds so you can imagine how many times a day I am reminded about 1973!!!

Offline 1madboiler

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »
In reply to Steve, I have to agree, I bought my old deauvillle and most of the problems have been because of it not being used, The bike I am looking at is not due an MOT till end of May but current owner has said he will put 12 months test on, It has been serviced by Honda all its life, new tyres and also new brakes only reason for sale is he has bought a nc700 to save on fuel

Offline fastdaddy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »
'looks great from about 15ft away but as you move in for the kill you get to see the true extent of all of those miles,'
 Sounds like my CBF1000 which only has 33k miles on it! :016:

Offline coldrider

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bradford,Ontario
« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2013, 04:17:59 PM »
 :405: from another old guy with a bad back.  The biffer works for me!