Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CHANGING THE REAR PADS  (Read 4056 times)

Offline BOMBER

• CBF Pro
CHANGING THE REAR PADS
« on: 05 March, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »
 :084: Has Anybody changed the rear pads themselves ?..........Cannot find any info on our forum. Had a good look at it and it looks awkward to say the least. Any Advise Please................ bomber. ps bought the honda pads thinking it was easy.

Offline Dekker

• CBF Master
Re: CHANGING THE REAR PADS
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2007, 08:28:48 PM »
I took mine out to clean and lubricate, I decided the wheel had to come out. Even then it was a bit fiddly.

Offline dia the bouy

• CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
 I took the back wheel out to clean it and the inside of the swinging arm ,
   i found the inside brake pad will easily spring out of its seating .
   there is a stainless steel clip that the pads must sit in to act as a retainer .
   Apply some copper slip type grease to the rear of the new pads before fitting
   as this will help to reduce any brake squeal and act as a protective coating.
   Make sure that the brake pistons are pushed as far back as possible into the
   caliper so you have the largest gap as possible to refit the wheel as it can be
   a bit fiddly, and if you can get some to help you it will make refitting the wheel
   a bit easier .

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE PADS ARE SEATED PROPERLY AFTER REFITTING
         THE BACK WHEEL .
         DON'T FORGET TO PUMP UP THE REAR BRAKE TO CLOSE THE PADS ON THE DISC
         BEFORE GIVING THE BIKE A TEST RIDE .     

Best of of luck and ride safe
                     Dia the Bouy
keep the sticky side down

Offline vlassishlk

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A (06)
  • City / Town: Eyboia
« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2007, 12:05:47 PM »
I have taken the rear pads off for inspection a couple of times. I didn't have to take the rear wheel off. It was dead easy - less than 10 minute, to take them off and on again. But you must be sure they've cliped in place correctly afterwards.

Offline BOMBER

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2007, 07:35:17 PM »
 :001: Changed the pads today, what a job. Had a good look first, took the exhaust off, makes the job so much easier, undone the 8mm pin , w hich holds the pads and removed, pads came out ok, problem was getting the new ones in, had a look with the torch, pistons need to go back into caliper so there flush not easy, made a tool up out of a plywood, that went bewen the disc and the caliper, gentle tap and back they go. then you have to line them up with the pin, (done the copper grease bit first on the backs) After 10 mins fidding about got them in, Dont fancy taking the wheel off !............

Offline voomonster

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2007, 06:33:24 PM »
 :435:
vlassishlk says that it's easy but Dekker and Bomber both thought that it was fiddly.

So what is it? Hard or easy?
It's better to burn out than to fade away

Offline vlassishlk

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A (06)
  • City / Town: Eyboia
« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2007, 04:52:49 PM »
I didn't take the rear wheel off and I didn't take the exhaust off. I took the pin off(I did have to push the exhaust a couple of centimeters with my other hand - so that the pin could pass through) and took the pads out, I inspected them, pushed the pistons a bit back to make it easier to put them on again, and put them in place making sure they clipped in place.
Not more than 10 minutes for me. :001:

Offline voomonster

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2007, 07:22:52 PM »
vlassishlk,
That sounds easy enough.

I await Dekker and Bomber's replies.
It's better to burn out than to fade away

Offline Dekker

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »
vlassishlk is right, it's a simple job just take out the long pin that goes through the holes in the pads and they will pull out. My problem was that they were stuck, I now know that you can lever them with a screwdriver
at the bottom edge of the pad to loosen them. :087:
The same goes for the front pads.

Offline BOMBER

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Thanks guys for your info, just to say it only takes a couple of minutes to take the exhaust off, which makes it a lot easier to get at the pads when changing them. ( and give it a clean ). Would have taken the caplier off if i knew how, Has anybody done that ?............ :465: