Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Indicator  (Read 19726 times)

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: Gear Indicator
« Reply #80 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:23:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ali-bear [+]
OK so basically its driven from the engine revs and somehow converted into a speed value?

That would still mean my revs/speed calculation would be the same regardless of what sprockets I had, am I right?
No, the VS (Vehicle Speed) Sensor takes it measurement (i.e., applies pulses per revolution) from the final drive output (i.e., after the gearbox).

Are you sure that you are doing approx 70mph (e.g., indicated by a Sat Nav) at 4500rpm (engine indicated) in 5th, not 6th, gear?
(which was the thought behind my original question as to whether your front sprocket might have an extra tooth than the oem)

:155:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #81 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnstg2 [+]
Has anyone fitted one of these?

http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk/gear-indicators-tre-devices/healtech-electronics/gipro-ds-series-gear-indicators-pd-16.php

I ordered one on Sunday and it's lying at the local post office today (no-one was in when it was delivered). I'll probably be fitting it at the weekend so was wondering if anyone's got any tips? It's alleged to be "plug and play" so I don't foresee any problems. It plugs into the diagnostic socket under the tank. I've never removed the tank before so I'm hoping that I can just lift it enough to get to the socket without disconnecting the fuel lines and wiring.

Just thinking - why is it under the tank? Surely a few extra inches of cable and it could have been positioned under the seat for easy access.

I'll post again once it's installed and comment on it's performance and ease (or otherwise) of fitting.

It's a lot easier on the MK1 - under the seat  :mfrlol:    :431:

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #82 on: 04 August, 2016, 07:14:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Are you sure that you are doing approx 70mph (e.g., indicated by a Sat Nav) at 4500rpm (engine indicated) in 5th, not 6th, gear?
(which was the thought behind my original question as to whether your front sprocket might have an extra tooth than the oem)

No I was looking at the speedo and the rev counter. Obviously I was only doing about 64 when I thought I was doing about 70 and the revs were 4500 in 5th.

Nice. OK then so the speedo is taken from the engine output shaft or nearby, glad that's sorted cos its been keeping me awake at night.  :038:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #83 on: 04 August, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ali-bear [+]
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
...Are you sure that you are doing approx 70mph (e.g., indicated by a Sat Nav) at 4500rpm (engine indicated) in 5th, not 6th, gear?
 :155:

No I was looking at the speedo and the rev counter. Obviously I was only doing about 64 when I thought I was doing about 70 and the revs were 4500 in 5th.

Nice. OK then so the speedo is taken from the engine output shaft or nearby, glad that's sorted cos its been keeping me awake at night.  :038:
OK, sorry it's been keeping you awake at night and I guess this won't help with that....
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
MK II info.

At 70 mph on the digital speedo, my sat nav is reading 65 mph and the revs are around 4,200. At 5,000 rpm, the speedo is reading 82 mph and the actual speed is around 76 mph.

Alan
  :164:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #84 on: 04 August, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »
I was doing an indicated 80mph on the motorway today and glanced at the tachometer reading  - 5000rpm.. that's on my Mk1...

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #85 on: 05 August, 2016, 08:38:18 AM »
That would be about right if he's in 6th  :181:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #86 on: 05 August, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Yes I was in 6th gear - just thought the Mk2 had longer gearing so it would be running at lower revs than me on my Mk1 at motorway speeds?