Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Screen or new bike?  (Read 9373 times)

Offline Tippy

• CBF Master
  • Born to fall over
  • Bike: CBF1000FAA
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Re: New Screen or new bike?
« Reply #60 on: 04 March, 2013, 04:02:34 AM »
It appears that you are able to look over the screen when you are looking a few meters down the road, yes? I hope so - you should find the Calsci a significant improvement over stock.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #61 on: 04 March, 2013, 06:42:40 AM »
Thanks for uploading the pics.

The last one gives the best idea of where the screen sits in relationship to your line of site.
It would appear the screen is indeed the correct height for you however now I see you have a Mk.II, can I confirm at which of the four settings the screen was positioned for the last photo?

Again, knowing you have a Mk.II, I'm surprise you found a need for the washers when mounting the CalSci, as the vent port gives sufficient airflow to stop turbulence at any of the height settings.

As you've apparently resolved the turbulence problem, the remaining wind noise can only be reduced further by either wearing earplugs and maybe a quieter helmet or raising the screen high enough to cause the airflow to hit just above your visor, rather than below it. This presents the greatest problem as the top edge of the screen remains some distance from the helmet and you would therefore be looking more through it than over it.

The BMW R1200RT is reputed by many to have possibly the best screen implementation on the market, however if you look at images of the bike with rider, it's clear the rider sits a lot closer to the screen due to the fact it's not only more raked, but also has a more pronounced vertical curvature on the Beemer than on the CBF (as well as having a more efficient fairing design that already incorporates the air flow to avoid any turbulence) and for that reason, the top of the screen has been cut to provide a virtually level horizontal edge that apparently continues through almost the entire horizontal curvature of the screen, even to the screen winglets at the top of the screen. The result being, the proximity of the screen allows the rider to see over it more easily with a clearer view of the road directly in front, whilst also directing air over the helmet more efficiently.

Such a screen design as the Beemer's would look a little out of place on the CBF as, let's face it, the CBF was never designed as an out and out tourer.
I believe the CalSci comes closest in terms of design brief, however the compromise in defeating all wind noise is the necessity to position it higher in line of site.

Personally, I've thrown enough time and money at this issue and I have to say, I'm more than satisfied with my present setup. What might be interesting though, would be to take a screen from a BMWR1200RT and adapt it to fit the CBF, just to see how it looks and works...

Any takers?

Mike

Offline takahe

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2011
  • City / Town: Jard sur Mer
« Reply #62 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
Hi Mike, I can only agree with your thoughts on the BM. I did think of the RT when I bought the CBF in January. However I think the reliability of Honda outweighs the extra wind noise and of course the pricing. I could have had a 2005 rt or 2011 CBF. Having had both marques my money went on the Honda. RT screen on CBF not for me, perhaps other takers Mike!

Tippy yes the Calsci is significantly better than the stock and yes I do indeed look over the screen down the road.
Bonnes routes.
Paul.
The SYSTEM works for me.
2011 CBF1000 MK2 Black, heated grips, bar mounted mirrors/indicators, 20mm bar risers,charging socket,12v power socket, Zumo550 GPS, Autocom pro Avi, V35 panniers and top box rack.Running on PR3 tyres.

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #63 on: 05 March, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
Denis, you say the screen is even lower on the Madstad brackets than it would be on the standard mounting points, but are the brackets forcing the screen to sit more upright than it would if you mounted it direct to the bike and is it possible the screen is also further away from you as a result of using the brackets?
Mike
Yes please do. I presume that you will be riding through the NSW South Coast (..Batesman Bay, Bega, Eden etc...). Your return will be via the Omeo Highway Waga Waga etc... or Hume highway?

Cheers
Philippe
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
« Reply #64 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:59:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sunset Rider [+]
Yes please do. I presume that you will be riding through the NSW South Coast (..Batesman Bay, Bega, Eden etc...). Your return will be via the Omeo Highway Waga Waga etc... or Hume highway?

Cheers
Philippe
Sorry Philippe.
You've lost me with that reply
Mike

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
« Reply #65 on: 06 March, 2013, 03:09:45 AM »
That is ok Mike...I loose myself quite frequently alonng the way :431:. I was responding to a response on the previous page from Denis about his proposed ride to Melbourne via Sydney.
Cheers
Philippe

Offline denis

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf 1000 2008
  • City / Town: brisbane
« Reply #66 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
Philippe
We do not have a great deal planned, just know that we are going down the coast road, pretty much as you described and have not given much thought to how we will get back so any one the inland routes should be great.

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
« Reply #67 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by denis [+]
Philippe
We do not have a great deal planned, just know that we are going down the coast road, pretty much as you described and have not given much thought to how we will get back so any one the inland routes should be great.
I have not done it yet, but the return route via the Omeo Highway and then through the Snowy Alpine way through Jindabyne is apparently heaven from a Bikers point of view....although in May it will start getting cold up high in the mountains and a chance of ice or even snow warrants some thoughts.

Alternative would be doing the Omeo Highway and back to Albury an then through Waga Waga and the Olympic highway to Bathurst etc...

Let us know whe the time gets closer.

Straight up th eHume Highway is an absolute bore.....bad enough in the car with dual lane carriage way all the way 800Klm from Melbourne to Sydney!!!

Offline denis

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf 1000 2008
  • City / Town: brisbane
« Reply #68 on: 10 March, 2013, 06:56:53 AM »
The torrential rain finally stopped for a brief period this weekend. I was going to have my first try of the new screen yesterday but also being a glider pilot I went gliding instead (weather patterns for gliding and fair weather motorcycling are similar)
Today, I finally went for a test ride with the new Calsci screen.
Out of the driveway up the hill about 50kph slight buffeting and noticeable noise but I was sure it would settle down at speed.
Out on the feeder road at 80kph, hmmm this is noisy!
Onto the freeway 100kph and a bit more. Wow my head is aching!
Noisy and head vibrating what a disappointment
I only lasted 20km before I decided to go straight home and put the original back on with the Madstad brackets.
Same routine out to the freeway and quickly realize this is much better than the Calsci.
Having not ridden for two weeks I had forgotten how great these cbf 1000's are

Anyone want to buy a cheap calsci?

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
« Reply #69 on: 10 March, 2013, 07:08:37 AM »
Sorry to hear you didn't get on too well with the CalSci, Denis.
They are by no means a cheap investment, particularly when living down under.
You may find Mark at CalSci sympathetic to your situation if you find time to drop him a line to explain your findings using his product. Just a thought.
Mike