Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Screen or new bike?  (Read 9501 times)

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Re: New Screen or new bike?
« Reply #50 on: 02 March, 2013, 05:51:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by takahe [+]
But if the Calsci is not giving the desired result Mike, what then?
Why would you not recommend doing it? I would get rid of the cut out if i used that calsci screen.
Ideally I would like Madstad brackets and screen package if this latest tweak does not work, but it will have to be DIY..
IMO,
The CalSci was designed as a direct replacement for the stock screen and includes a port specifically designed and positioned to prevent back pressure generating turbulence at the top of the screen.
The MadStad bracket is also designed to allow sufficient stand off from the original mountings to allow air flow behind the screen to eliminate the turbulence (see from 3:40 on the attached clip).
Put the two together and you've got a recipe for missing the design intention for both components.
At most, do what coldrider suggested and use only spacing washers to alter the CalSci screen angle, or go the route you suggest.
Either tape over the CalSci vent port and mount it on the MadStad brackets or remove the MadStad brackets from the equation all together, to achieve each product designers intention.
If you end up taping over the CalSci vent, you've effectively spent a lot of hard-earned for nothing.
It would have been a lot cheaper simply to get a large plain screen from a local supplier to mount on the MadStads and maybe experiment by trimming its size a bit at a time until the desired effect was achieved (but no additional vents). It's probably a good idea to start with Mark's guidance for determining the ideal screen height.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html#Height
Just to reiterate a point I made elsewhere, raising the screen through its four settings on a Mk.II also reduces the angle of the screen from true vertical. It rises in an arc, not simply up and down parallel to the fairing nose angle.
You might want to take this into account when using the MadStads.
Mike

MadStad RoboBrackets Intro.flv
« Last Edit: 02 March, 2013, 06:34:30 AM by Biker Mike »

Offline takahe

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2011
  • City / Town: Jard sur Mer
« Reply #51 on: 02 March, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
Hi Mike thank you for taking the time and trouble to give your views. The problem I have now is wind noise not turbulence. I have as cold rider suggested put spacers under the Calsci yesterday to achieve a better angle and thus airflow.Too cold to go testing today, do not have my UK motorcycle gear for 2degrees anymore, and I am getting softer in my old age.
I used the Cal sci chart for my choice of screen and understand perfectly the intentions of both designs.
I would have gone down the plain screen and Robo brackets route but your comments on the result with the Calsci convinced me otherwise.
Path of least resistance Mike. No blame attached.
Reference the Honda brackets moving through an arc when raising the screen, this presents a problem as the gap at the base of the screen closes up. With Mark from Madstads brackets you can maintain a nice airflow gap regardless of the arcing movement of the Honda brackets.
 In the course of my experimentation I will post again. It is too cold to go flying about on the bike today.
Thanks for the Madstad video, I know it off by heart, and his product does work as he says it does, and as I said I had his kit on the Tiger 800, almost silence in the Schuberth C3.The stock Triumph screen was unbearable.
Thanks again for your thoughts Mike.

The SYSTEM works for me.
2011 CBF1000 MK2 Black, heated grips, bar mounted mirrors/indicators, 20mm bar risers,charging socket,12v power socket, Zumo550 GPS, Autocom pro Avi, V35 panniers and top box rack.Running on PR3 tyres.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
« Reply #52 on: 02 March, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »
I'd be interested to see a side-on picture of you sat on your bike and wearing your C3.
Maybe we should do this for anyone getting into the discussions related to screen options.
It might help us understand the issue better overall if we can compare the differences in ergonomics.
To some degree, we take into account rider height but not often how far the rider is actually sitting from the screen.
Just a thought...
 :084:
Mike

Offline takahe

• CBF Member
« Reply #53 on: 02 March, 2013, 08:07:09 PM »
I can certainly do that Mike, then I will have to figure out where the instructions are for putting photos up on the site. It is inevitably different for each site. :oldie: LOL
The SYSTEM works for me.
2011 CBF1000 MK2 Black, heated grips, bar mounted mirrors/indicators, 20mm bar risers,charging socket,12v power socket, Zumo550 GPS, Autocom pro Avi, V35 panniers and top box rack.Running on PR3 tyres.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
« Reply #54 on: 02 March, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
I opened a free account on Photobucket and usually copy the image file from there into my postings (it shows as the last option in a dropdown list when I 'hover' on a pic I want to use).
Photobucket is going through a revamp at present and I'm not sure if I'll still be able to access the photo images as easily. Sure I'll find out in the next couple of weeks though.
Mike

Offline takahe

• CBF Member
« Reply #55 on: 03 March, 2013, 07:36:38 AM »
Thanks for the info Mike.
The SYSTEM works for me.

Offline takahe

• CBF Member
« Reply #56 on: 03 March, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »
Did a test photo and that worked fine. All we need now is photo showing me on the bike. Need to enlist help from my better half for that, and its a bit early on a cold, 0 degrees, Sunday morning, to fly that kite.
Later
The SYSTEM works for me.

Offline denis

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf 1000 2008
  • City / Town: brisbane
« Reply #57 on: 03 March, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
Thanks Biker Mike for your suggestion of removing the madstad brackets. I have had to use a couple of spacer washers to make the calsci curvature conform to the bike but after tha,t it fits ok and is lower in the vision because it is closer to my head.
It still is in my line of sight but I will try it out first before cutting some off the top.
It has been torrential rain here for the last week and expected to continue for a while so no chance of real test yet.
I will keep you posted.

Offline Rustyrig

• CBF Legend
  • Ride and smile
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #58 on: 03 March, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
Well after thinking about this for sometime and having played with a few screens in the passed I'm going to attach some flips on to the sides of a standard screen I've got just to see if it is the screen being to narrow, I'm now feeling comfortable with my setup, but why stop playing boys will be boys so I'm off to the garage to play just hope I can find everything.

Barry

Offline takahe

• CBF Member
« Reply #59 on: 04 March, 2013, 12:40:12 AM »
Hi Mike et al, went outside later this morning and put my French summer jacket on and had my wife take the photo.  A pal dropped by later on his bike with a decent warm UK style jacket and I took the bike out to try that setting. I came back with it lifted about a centimetre I marked the nose cone before I changed the height.
I have cropped them so you can easily see top of screen ref my helmet. First one shows where I thought it should be, the second one with decent jacket on shows where it was after trial run. The last one to show I do have the complete bike!
Having the screen stand off further at the base has helped, it is not as good as the Madstad I had on the Triumph but I think I can live with the much lower wind noise now. Still tempted however to play further

Bonnes routes, as we say in France.
The SYSTEM works for me.

diverse-leafy