Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Screen or new bike?  (Read 9485 times)

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: New Screen or new bike?
« Reply #40 on: 26 February, 2013, 05:51:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by melb_rider [+]
Fair question - but I'm not proposing a "how to", just wondering out aloud. The screens on the market all add far more height than width, and I'm not convinced that's the best solution - like many others, I detest looking "through" a screen on a bike, that's what the car is for! I guess at the end of the day there is only limited space to fit a wider screen, unless you cut holes for the mirror stalks to poke through...Dunno, maybe I'll find a bit of thin perspex and do an experiment!

Needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of Sunsetrider's screen adventure...
Got myself in for it now and got to deliver.....

Have not been down to Melbourne due to work committment and impending changes....but I will get there although at this stage unlikely before the 23rd of March.
My theory on this is it is not a hugh investment and certainly cheaper than importing one as denis is....but I do think it has a good chance of working. If it does not work as I expoect it to....then no great loss as it cannot be worse than the standard.
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
I might agree with you on that point if it wasn't for the fact that a screen as large as the XL Calsci means you're seeing quite a lot through it as well as over it and for that reason, I prefer clarity.
Also, from an aesthetics perspective, if you insist on riding with a barn door bolted on the front of your bike, wouldn't you prefer it if people didn't actually notice it?
 :018:
Mike
Mike, I don't intend on making it "that wide" in fact not much wider than your bike as such. I am 6'2 and sit well above the screen, so even with an increase of 70mm above the standard screen, I will still not be looking through it.
This may sound dumb....but from an aesthetics perspective,if it was that hideous, I am quite happy commuting with the standard screen on, but certainly want something much better for the weekends that I do go away on a much longer ride.
Besides, I think people would prefer seeing the Barn door as opposed to me :001: :001: :001:

melb_rider
I'll let you know when I am coming down and maybe can meet up and go visit the friendly screen maker. Of the top of my head, I think he is located around Reservoir or Epping.
Whereabouts in Melb are you?
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline denis

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf 1000 2008
  • City / Town: brisbane
« Reply #41 on: 27 February, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
Calsci screen arrived today.

Aaagh! it is so high there is no position that I can comfortably look past it. I must either look through it or just over it with the top ridge directly in my view. I am using Madstad brackets on the lowest setting. Not sure I will even try it on the road, might just send it back and ask for the money back guarantee.

A tall person may not find it in their vision but I do. I am planning a ride to Melbourne and back (about 4000km) and could not look at it for such a long ride. Back to the buffeting and blurry vision for now.

If anyone is interested I will pass it on for the cost of the screen only
(no shipping charge) but if not I will post it back to USA for the refund.

On a happier note, Calsci seem like a reputable company and typical of American marketers throw in a little extra. i.e. screen cleaner and micro fibre cleaning cloth. A nice touch.

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #42 on: 28 February, 2013, 06:18:20 AM »
Hi Denis,
What siz did you get the Medium or large?
How tall are you?

Calsci, from what I see on this site will not have a problem in refunding your money.......but what is the cost of sending back to US?
That is one of the reasons I did not go down that path....because the cost of freight to and from Aust is exhorbidant.
Depending on the size, wemay be able to do something with it. let me know.

BTW ...when are you riding to Melb? It is also on my plan so might be avble to catch up and ride down.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline Toto

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Mississauga
« Reply #43 on: 28 February, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
Hi Denis

It might be cheaper to go to an autoglass place and have 'em nip a couple of inches from the top of it...or you could do it yourself with a band saw.
I wouldn't recommend a jig saw unless you have an extra set of hands to make it steady.

Offline Tippy

• CBF Master
  • Born to fall over
  • Bike: CBF1000FAA
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #44 on: 28 February, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
Hi Denis,

I've been to Brisbane twice - lovely city.

I am puzzled by your situation. If you use the method suggested on the Calsci site, it should result in you ordering the correct screen. I am quite short, and was able to do so. Of course you must be able to comfortably look over the top edge of the screen. I agree with other folks here - you could have a glass shop nip off a strip across the top. Being a very short guy, I have had to do this on 3 or 4 occasions over the last decades, and the outcome has always been good. It will be worth it, as I believe you will find the Calsci to provide you with good protection. The alternative is to exchange it for a shorter one from Calsci.

Offline denis

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf 1000 2008
  • City / Town: brisbane
« Reply #45 on: 01 March, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
I am 5'6" the seat is in the lowest position and the screen in the lowest position on the madstad brackets, even lower than the standard holes.
I checked the screen again it is 7" higher than standard so it is the medium size as ordered, they don't make a short.
Thanks for all of your ideas about cutting the top off. I am sure once I try that there is no money back guarantee so a little reluctant to try that just yet but will probably end up doing it eventually.

Sunset
I will be riding Brisbane to Melbourne early May going down the coast and back up inland. I will be riding with friend also on a Honda (650cc scooter). You are most welcome to join in once we get down your way.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #46 on: 01 March, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
Denis, you say the screen is even lower on the Madstad brackets than it would be on the standard mounting points, but are the brackets forcing the screen to sit more upright than it would if you mounted it direct to the bike and is it possible the screen is also further away from you as a result of using the brackets?
Mike

Offline takahe

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2011
  • City / Town: Jard sur Mer
« Reply #47 on: 01 March, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
Denis being in Australia is talking Mk1 CBF for which Madstad make screen and brackets.Denis is using his Calsci screen. This may be a problem. The brackets set the screen further away from the fairing in their closed  position and when opened  can create even greater distance between the fairing and the screen; giving excellent flow between the base plate and the screen. The brackets also allow you to change the angle of the screen to wherever you like. Madstad recommend; using their template on the screen a 60 degree angle to start, and tweak from there. As stated in previous post I had Madstad screen and robobrackets on my Triumph Tiger 800 and the set up was no less than incredibly good. As no MK2 in USA he is not doing one for the MK2.
If my latest efforts today with the Cal sci medium screen for 5' 9" , 31" in seam do not drastically improve current wind noise wearing my Schuberth C3, I shall buy his brackets and do a DIY job, re drill the screen and I am confident it will give the required result.
« Last Edit: 01 March, 2013, 06:20:30 PM by takahe »
The SYSTEM works for me.
2011 CBF1000 MK2 Black, heated grips, bar mounted mirrors/indicators, 20mm bar risers,charging socket,12v power socket, Zumo550 GPS, Autocom pro Avi, V35 panniers and top box rack.Running on PR3 tyres.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #48 on: 01 March, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using a CalSci screen with stand-off brackets.
Better to mount the CalSci as it was intended, direct to the bike.
Mike

Offline takahe

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2011
  • City / Town: Jard sur Mer
« Reply #49 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
But if the Calsci is not giving the desired result Mike, what then?
Why would you not recommend doing it? I would get rid of the cut out if i used that calsci screen.
Ideally I would like Madstad brackets and screen package if this latest tweak does not work, but it will have to be DIY..
The SYSTEM works for me.
2011 CBF1000 MK2 Black, heated grips, bar mounted mirrors/indicators, 20mm bar risers,charging socket,12v power socket, Zumo550 GPS, Autocom pro Avi, V35 panniers and top box rack.Running on PR3 tyres.